Good mid-priced open-heel Fins - Opinions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...it seems that "Thou shalt not critisize Scubapro Jetfins" is an unwritten commandment on Scubaboard.

While they are in fact only only slightly negatively bouyant, that isn't the point, they are in fact heavy out of the water and in the dive bag compared to newer fins.

The buckle system is pretty dated, it is hard to adjust and does tend to cut straps over time. I started diving with a pair of X-large Super Jet fins in the early 80s and still own them. I like them, they are nice fins, you could certainly do worse, and I tried to replace them several times over a decade or so before I found a fin that actually performed better, but believe it or not, there are in fact better fins out there now.

And I thought I was a bit of a dinosaur.....

I have used at one time or another Jet fins, Mares Quattro, Twin jets, and various Dacor fins but my hands down favorite is the Aeris Velocity. They are good for frog and other kicks used by cavers and wreck divers. The fin blades are virtually the same length as the SP Jets. Good power with minimal effort and absolutely no cramping. My only complaint is that when I bought mine they didn't make them in a size large enough to fit my dry suit boots. I believe Aeris has brought out a new larger size for use with dry suit boots though. About $55 at LP.

ScubaPro Jet Fins w/ spring heel straps!!

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
...While they are in fact only only slightly negatively bouyant, that isn't the point, they are in fact heavy out of the water and in the dive bag compared to newer fins.

The buckle system is pretty dated, it is hard to adjust and does tend to cut straps over time...

Yes, they are sooooooo heavy on dry land. So is your tank. And an exposure suit is really hot when you wear it in the sun :rolleyes:

Any rubber strap will break after a while, no matter what the brand is. That's why spring straps are a better option. Plus you don't have to worry about adjusting them.

Arnaud once bubbled...

Yes, they are sooooooo heavy on dry land. So is your tank. And an exposure suit is really hot when you wear it in the sun :rolleyes:

Any rubber strap will break after a while, no matter what the brand is. That's why spring straps are a better option. Plus you don't have to worry about adjusting them.

Yep, scuba tanks are heavy which is why I stopped taking them on the plane - they also don't fit in the overhead racks. (But seriously, smaller regional airlines in particular are getting more restrictive on weight limits and carrying an extra couple pounds of fin does not always make sense.)

Alas, I also had to stop wearing my wet suit on the flight as it seemed I was getting "randomly" selected for a search by the freindly security folks every time I flew with it on.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
...Alas, I also had to stop wearing my wet suit on the flight as it seemed I was getting "randomly" selected for a search by the freindly security folks every time I flew with it on.

Maybe it's the hood?

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom