Gordon Ramsey eats Shark Fin Soup for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the YouTube video 03:38 to 03:47:
Gordon Ramsay:
From a chef's point of view, if it was something that really did taste absolutely amazing, then, yeah, I'd put up my hand and say..."Christ," you know...but it doesn't deliver...
With that statement, Gordon is arguing that shark-finning practices would be less objectionable if the fin actually brought something special, taste-wise, to the dish. I find this tact less than admirable.

I kind of wish we'd level the same type of scrutiny on the treatment of "food chain" animals here in the U.S.

People love to get behind a cause. I'm not saying that banning of shark-finning practices isn't a just cause. It's just an easy one for xenophobic Americans (and other nationalities) to get behind.

To be honest, I've had shark fin soup before, back when I was still ignorant of its trade. From what I remember, it tastes great. However, when I found out more about the business, I changed my attitude completely against the shark fin trade.

No matter how great something tastes, the fact that the animal is usually brutally slaughtered and mostly wasted is ample reason to be against the shark-finning trade.

While in North America, there are questionable "food chain" treatments, USUALLY these animals are killed quickly and most of their parts are used. As well, none of the animals are endangered. (Not justifying it all, but just saying that shark-finning is miles worse).

Plus with shark fin soup, there are many cheap synthetic ways to make something with the same texture and taste without resorting to mass indiscriminate killings.

I think a more effective method of decreasing the demand for sharkfins throughout the world is to educate the Chinese public (particularly the affluent segment of the population) and help them understand the effect of sharkfinning on ocean ecology. The trick is to adopt a tact that appreciates and works with the importance of tradition in Chinese culture.

That's a little bit of a harsh generalization on entire cultures. While I hate shark-finning and its industry as much as anyone, many of the lower-level employees are uneducated and ignorant about shark-finning. They are also extremely poor, and this is the only way they know how to make money. Obviously, this doesn't absolve them of blame, as they should realize the torture they inflict upon the animals.

The ones who should be blamed the most are the businessmen and the customers. The businessmen (shark fin industry and restauranteurs) know what they do, and usually the rich customers are smart enough to know what goes on behind the scenes. Even if they were ignorant, they have the resources to do the research (and thus, hold fault).

The fact about many non-Western cultures is that there is little education about sharks. All the people know about sharks is from films like "Jaws", and there is a large negative attitude that treats them like man-eaters. Plus, the businessmen/managers in the industry probably spread negative shark stereotypes to the workers to facilitate the killing.

Still, there's no reason to generalize to entire Asian cultures. It's like calling all Germans barbarians after the Holocaust or calling all people from the USA horrible because of the massive amount of pollution the country emits. You're correct, however, in saying that culture is no excuse for ignorance.

After watching this video in its entirety, I have much more respect for Gordon Ramsey.
My reference to culture was not about a specific race or ethnic background but the culture of greed exhibited by this behavior. It is no different than the culture that allowed the N*A*Z*I's to perpetuate the horrors they did. Of course not every German was responsible. But those who stood by and did or said nothing or even worse those who turned in their own neighbors were part of that "culture". Not every Chinese or Asian in general condones finning or supports it by partaking of the dish. Those who do however at those prices are doing it to impress others. Especially in this day and age where the information is so readily available.

Like those who fish for them. They cannot claim ignorance of the issue by any means. That they hide some of their catches in with others is an admission that they know what they are doing is wrong. The "culture" of this is again one of greed and money. Not of ancestral origins and customs. Customs change and people adapt.

10 Observations about Asian Culture and Shark Fin Soup:

1) Shark Fin soup was always a 'luxury' dish - in the truest sense of the word. Unavailability of shark products meant that this dish was the preserve of the super-wealthy/aristocracy (pre-communism). There was a cultural heritage in the soup, but that doesn't reflect today's culture or market.

2) Evolution of modern fishing methods (primarily long-line fishing) increased the accidental catch of shark from hundreds per year to millions per year.

3) Shark meat is a very low $ value form of protein that doesn't feature in any Asian cultural menus. The huge by-catch of shark by long-line fishermen was entirely wasteful and unwanted. Before the 'industry' of global shark fin export was created, in the last 2 decades, the majority of caught shark was returned to the water (often alive).

4) Within the last 20 years, some clever Asian businessmen recognized that the by-catch of sharks meant that shark fin was now no longer a rare product. They developed a supply chain that sources shark-fin globally and, consequently, Shark fin soup became easily available and ceased to be the preserve of the super-wealthy and became a mass-market middle-class food.

5) Those same businessmen marketed the concept of Shark Fin soup to the emerging Asian middle-class and newly-rich. In step with evolving Asian affluence, those people could now celebrate 'eating like Emperors'. That is very literal, they could now eat the delicacies previously reserved (by availability) for the ruling classes, thus perpetuating the illusion of vastly increased status and wealth.

6) The reason why Sharks Fin soup was seen as a delicacy of the ruling classes was entirely based upon it's unavailability. This is common with other Asian 'delicacies' of the super-wealthy ruling classes. Those delicacies include foodstuffs originating from many rare or symbolically powerful animals, including tigers and other apex land predators.

7) The consumption of tiger products was universally accepted as a damaging environmental practice. There was little-to-no 'cultural resistance' to the banning of these products within Asia. People understood that the animals were rare - and that preserving them was far more valuable than their use as a luxury food.

8) Cultural resistance is often cited as a factor in preventing similar conservation efforts with sharks. This is not true, because Asian culture has shown many times that conservation is readily put above demand for luxury goods. Also, there is no actual cultural history amongst the classes of current sharks fin consumers of eating this dish. The real reason is that those consumers do not understand the level of damaging being done to shark populations, the rapid pace towards complete extinction of those species and the importance that sharks have as apex predators in preserving the balance and stability of global marine eco-systems.

9) The value and demand of Sharks Fin soup lies not (as Ramsey highlights) in its taste or nutrition. It is merely a symbolic demonstration of affluence and success. The people who eat the soup don't care that they can only eat it now because of increased availability - to them it remains a rare and sought-after 'food of the Emperor'. The growing class of newly wealthy Asian businesspeople enjoy this dish because it reinforces their social progression.

10) The people who eat Sharks Fin soup have no cultural history of eating it. The restaurants that serve it have no cultural history of serving it. If there was a cultural history of eating Sharks Fin soup, then Asian cuisine (which 'culturally' doesn't waste anything edible) would also reflect a cultural history of eating shark meat - it doesn't. The consumption of Sharks Fin soup by it's current market is a very recent development. It is an unfortunate coincidence of developing fishing methods (supply) coupled with a desire to 'celebrate' growing affluence with Asian social classes (demand).

Last edited:
10 'Facts' about Asian Culture and Shark Fin Soup:

1) Shark Fin soup was always a 'luxury' dish - in the truest sense of the word. Unavailability of shark products meant that this dish was the preserve of the super-wealthy/aristocracy (pre-communism). There was a cultural heritage in the soup, but that doesn't reflect today's culture or market.

2) Evolution of modern fishing methods (primarily long-line fishing) increased the accidental catch of shark from hundreds per year to millions per year.

3) Shark meat is a very low $ value form of protein that doesn't feature in any Asian cultural menus. The huge by-catch of shark by long-line fishermen was entirely wasteful and unwanted. Before the 'industry' of global shark fin export was created, in the last 2 decades, the majority of caught shark was returned to the water (often alive).

4) Within the last 20 years, some clever Asian businessmen recognized that the by-catch of sharks meant that shark fin was now no longer a rare product. They developed a supply chain that sources shark-fin globally and, consequently, Shark fin soup became easily available and ceased to be the preserve of the super-wealthy and became a mass-market middle-class food.

5) Those same businessmen marketed the concept of Shark Fin soup to the emerging Asian middle-class and newly-rich. In step with evolving Asian affluence, those people could now celebrate 'eating like Emperors'. That is very literal, they could now eat the delicacies previously reserved (by availability) for the ruling classes, thus perpetuating the illusion of vastly increased status and wealth.

6) The reason why Sharks Fin soup was seen as a delicacy of the ruling classes was entirely based upon it's unavailability. This is common with other Asian 'delicacies' of the super-wealthy ruling classes. Those delicacies include foodstuffs originating from many rare or symbolically powerful animals, including tigers and other apex land predators.

7) The consumption of tiger products was universally accepted as a damaging environmental practice. There was little-to-no 'cultural resistance' to the banning of these products within Asia. People understood that the animals were rare - and that preserving them was far more valuable than their use as a luxury food.

8) Cultural resistance is often cited as a factor in preventing similar conservation efforts with sharks. This is not true, because Asian culture has shown many times that conservation is readily put above demand for luxury goods. Also, there is no actual cultural history amongst the classes of current sharks fin consumers of eating this dish. The real reason is that those consumers do not understand the level of damaging being done to shark populations, the rapid pace towards complete extinction of those species and the importance that sharks have as apex predators in preserving the balance and stability of global marine eco-systems.

9) The value and demand of Sharks Fin soup lies not (as Ramsey highlights) in its taste or nutrition. It is merely a symbolic demonstration of affluence and success. The people who eat the soup don't care that they can only eat it now because of increased availability - to them it remains a rare and sought-after 'food of the Emperor'. The growing class of newly wealthy Asian businesspeople enjoy this dish because it reinforces their social progression.

10) The people who eat Sharks Fin soup have no cultural history of eating it. The restaurants that serve it have no cultural history of serving it. If there was a cultural history of eating Sharks Fin soup, then Asian cuisine (which 'culturally' doesn't waste anything edible) would also reflect a cultural history of eating shark meat - it doesn't. The consumption of Sharks Fin soup by it's current market is a very recent development. It is an unfortunate coincidence of developing fishing methods (supply) coupled with a desire to 'celebrate' growing affluence with Asian social classes (demand).

very good point !

From the YouTube video 03:38 to 03:47:
Gordon Ramsay:

With that statement, Gordon is arguing that shark-finning practices would be less objectionable if the fin actually brought something special, taste-wise, to the dish. I find this tact less than admirable.

I kind of wish we'd level the same type of scrutiny on the treatment of "food chain" animals here in the U.S.

People love to get behind a cause. I'm not saying that banning of shark-finning practices isn't a just cause. It's just an easy one for xenophobic Americans (and other nationalities) to get behind.

Gordon was just pointing out the IRONY of the situation, that all these f**kers are paying a sh*t load of money for broth and a fin that adds nothing to the experience, where the fin could be left out and the taste wouldn't even be effected.

It's clear Gordon is incensed, shocked and sickened by the whole thing, his comments were spur of the moment and from the heart and understandable to me.

The Chinese are experts at ripping off authentic items and substituting cheap rip-offs, I wish they'd do the same with shark fin soup and screw all the idiots eating it.

That's the true irony of the whole thing, if restaurants substituted a fake fin they'd stand a better chance of facing trouble for fraud and face penalties for that, while skating free for the damages they cause by using real fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom