Got certified, now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on what the weekly rental rates here lol I think I’d be pretty close to having all my gear in a month. I’d like to hold off on making the big purchases but $385 a week to rent gear here locally, I may as well start with at least getting my reg.
Start with mask, then computer, then wetsuit, then fins, the reg, then bcd, then tanks and so on and so on

Covered on the fins and the mask. Reg and computer will be my next step.
On computer, buy the best that your budget will allow. This will help you get longevity out of it as your diving progresses beyond the level you are currently at. Make sure it handles nitrox, AI is a really nice feature. I like larger numbers on the display. Perdix is a popular choice, I went with Suunto vyper Novo with transmitter for less that just the perdix costs. The perdix will do more but it is well beyond what I will need anytime soon. The Scubapro G2 is a solid option too.

Regs depend on what features you want. I use an aqualung legend supreme, have an atomic b2 on my pony and Apex for sidemount. All have pros and cons. I like the legend for the cold water diving I do, I like the extended service time on the atomic (2 years between service saves a ton especially on my pony reg) and the Apex breathe like a dream.

As for what to do now, dive dive dive. The biggest leaps in my confidence and skills early on occurred when I could dive everyday for a long period straight through. A trip to Cozumel for a week or 2 of 2-5 dives a day would do wonders for your skill level and confidence. The repetitive diving allows you to improve on at least 1 skill a day, then build upon that the next dive while the previous improvement still being fresh. I between those trips be sure to suffer through the sub part local dives to keep your skills fresh. Put a bunch of dives under your belt before you do rescue, this will allow the diving parts to be second nature so that you can focus on the skills you gain during the class. Nitrox is a great class before any trip that has repetitive dives. Get your own computer before you take the class though. And finally, have fun

On computer, buy the best that your budget will allow. This will help you get longevity out of it as your diving progresses beyond the level you are currently at. Make sure it handles nitrox, AI is a really nice feature. I like larger numbers on the display. Perdix is a popular choice, I went with Suunto vyper Novo with transmitter for less that just the perdix costs. The perdix will do more but it is well beyond what I will need anytime soon. The Scubapro G2 is a solid option too.

Regs depend on what features you want. I use an aqualung legend supreme, have an atomic b2 on my pony and Apex for sidemount. All have pros and cons. I like the legend for the cold water diving I do, I like the extended service time on the atomic (2 years between service saves a ton especially on my pony reg) and the Apex breathe like a dream.

As for what to do now, dive dive dive. The biggest leaps in my confidence and skills early on occurred when I could dive everyday for a long period straight through. A trip to Cozumel for a week or 2 of 2-5 dives a day would do wonders for your skill level and confidence. The repetitive diving allows you to improve on at least 1 skill a day, then build upon that the next dive while the previous improvement still being fresh. I between those trips be sure to suffer through the sub part local dives to keep your skills fresh. Put a bunch of dives under your belt before you do rescue, this will allow the diving parts to be second nature so that you can focus on the skills you gain during the class. Nitrox is a great class before any trip that has repetitive dives. Get your own computer before you take the class though. And finally, have fun

Thank you for this insight. I’ve talked with my other half quite a bit about this and we’ve both received input and opinions from others Re: computers and regs. We have tried various types of rental regs and computers and I agree with go with what your budget will allow.

Thank you for this insight. I’ve talked with my other half quite a bit about this and we’ve both received input and opinions from others Re: computers and regs. We have tried various types of rental regs and computers and I agree with go with what your budget will allow.
What you can get serviced well locally needs to factor into reg purchase as well

For the ScubaPro BCD option, are you talking about the X-TEK series?

My mate has one and likes it a lot. It’s nicely made but it’s a bit fiddly for my tastes with lots of extra bits on the waist belt and shoulder D-rings he’s now considering cutting off.

What you can get serviced well locally needs to factor into reg purchase as well
Mailing regs to be serviced is something I found very convenient after several LDSs kept screwing up my regs.

I’ve since standardized on Deep 6 (which you can mail to have done - first service is free).

For the ScubaPro BCD option, are you talking about the X-TEK series?

My mate has one and likes it a lot. It’s nicely made but it’s a bit fiddly for my tastes with lots of extra bits on the waist belt and shoulder D-rings he’s now considering cutting off.

Hi there! I was referring to the Hydros Pro :)

The Hydros Pro is a good BC, but a little pricey. It is also limited on the accessories that will work with it. Zeagle and Dive Rite make great BCD's that are very modular for usually a little less than the Hydros Pro. I personally am looking at a Dive Rite TransPac XT bundle which run approximately $750 - $900 depending on what configuration that you get and is completely modular and can be set up as everything from a lightweight travel BC to a full tech rig with a backplate and two bladders for full technical diving. My current BCD is an original Dive Rite TransPac from 1995, it still works great but is getting a little old and does not have some of the options that the new and improved version has. Before that I put over 1000 dives on my original Zeagle BCD and then gave it to my nephew in California.

Back
Top Bottom