Got my OW cert, but SOB!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder, though - if you have a long hose around your neck, and somebody not-too-politely grabs your primary out of your mouth, couldn't they basically pull the hose around your neck and make it difficult for you to get your backup correctly?

BSAC tried desperately to come up with a situation where someone grabbing the primary from a longhose diver would cause a problem. They concluded that, if the OOA diver came from above and to the donor's left, reached forward and grabbed the primary and dragged it backwards, it would tighten around the donor's throat. Do you see that as a very likely scenario? I don't -- and the solution is trivially easy; the donor simply has to to roll over on his back, and the problem is solved.

You CAN do the bungied/necklace backup with a standard hose setup -- all you need to do is switch which regulator you use as the primary. The second stage on the short hose gets put in the necklace, and the one on the longer hose is the one you breathe. If it's a standard length octo hose (36 or 40") it will make an ugly big loop out around the diver, but it works. If you want to streamline things more, you can add a 90 degree angle adapter between the hose and the second stage, and route the longer hose under your arm.

One thing this story brings up, in addition to the questionable wisdom of doing OW checkout dives in viz where you can't see your students, is that running quickly through a skill once (or perhaps twice) in a pool does NOT confer mastery of the skill. Mastery is where you a) can think of using the skill where it is needed, and b) execute it successfully to solve a problem. This student doesn't appear to have been taught, or to remember the "reach" method for regulator recovery at all, and could not successfully execute the skill when he lost his reg. My guess is that prior to this dive, he had done the skill once in the pool. It's not enough.

It is an excellent idea for divers to practice switching from their own primary to their own backup. It does a lot of things -- it improves comfort without a regulator in the mouth (remember not to hold your breath!), it builds memory of exactly WHERE the backup reg is, and it will quickly tell the diver whether the system he's chosen to secure his backup reg is one that will hold the reg securely AND release it when required.
I could not believe the how much my level of comfort and skills increased this summer while practicing for my DMC skills test. The oddest thing is, the thing that helped the most is a made up exercise that I did to get comfortable with the equipment exchange with buddy breathing. I spent about 4 hours, over a few days time, taking my gear on and off a piece at a time, while taking my regulator out of my mouth during each piece of equipment removal and replacement. Since this is not supposed to be an exercise that you practice ahead of time with your buddy, I just broke down the pieces and practiced the skills rather than the actual exercise, by myself. One thing that I realized was that I hadn't really gone back and practiced some of the basics since OW, other than mask removal/replace and a few other things that are needed on all dives. For instance, I couldn't remember the last time I'd practiced a buddy breathe ( I know we don't teach that in OW anymore,which I think is unfortunate), and some of the other basics. I had done most of equipment remove and replace for my recent drysuit class, since that was on the skills list, but I felt it was rough. Not to demonstration quality.
Now, I will be going through the exercises more, I hope, if I can find more classes to work with. Hubby hasn't been teaching much, his PhD is getting in the way.

Anyway, I would now highly recommend a similar exercise to new divers. Much of it can be done on the shallow end of the pool. In fact, I started in 3 feet of water, until I was totally sure I had my skills down and then moved to the deep end, since I was by myself for the most part. I really didn't feel like drowning in my pool on scuba, lol! How would that look, DMC candidate drowns while diving in backyard pool? I can just see that on SB Accidents/incidents! First thing would be where was her buddy! I would also recommend having a buddy with you at all times. I'm still getting used to the idea of being a supervisor, so thus basically being a solo diver since I can't count on anybody but myself while supervising. I'm big on buddy diving and not big on solo diving so that takes getting used to. I don't even like when my husband solo dives and he's been an instructor for, well, a really long time.

This is just about exactly the last thing I tell my students to do. You do not want to start a fight under water with an OOA diver. It is an almost certain way to cause at least one death, and possibly two.

If I knew the diver was OOA and only going for my reg, I'd let them have it or beat them to it and hand it off. If its a panicked diver out of nowhere grabbing at me, I'm not going to allow them to make me a second victim. I'll protect myself until I'm able to hand mine off in a manner that allows me to safely make the exchange. When I said a little notice, I'm not referring to a calmly delivered OOA signal and a polite wait, just some idea of what's up. Not only does this make perfect sense to me, but it's the way I was recently taught in rescue. Similar to a lifeguard having to back away or escape a panicked swimmer.

Maniago, Without some kind of notice, an OOA diver is going to find me pushing them away if they reach for my regs. Period. I am going to ensure my safety and not allow a panicked diver to wrap me up.

I just re-read this part. Please, whatever you do Slmason, tell me this before we dive together because there is no way I'm diving with you. Your position is totally valid, but I'd rather know what to expect above surface than when I need you most and you're not there.

My definition of a buddy is my un-questionably dependable emergency lifeline back to the surface. That's what I am. Your mileage may vary. Just let me know before hand.

If its a panicked diver out of nowhere grabbing at me, I'm not going to allow them to make me a second victim.

Unless you brought a knife and are ready to use it, you'll find yourself on the losing side of real fight if you try to prevent a panicked diver from getting air. You only have two hands, and have at least four things that you'll want to protect from someone who feels moments away from death and is quite motivated.

Of course the other option is that you'll have turned stress into panic and will be responsible for sending the diver bolting for the surface and possibly getting killed.

I'm not going to allow them to make me a second victim.

I'm not sure where the "second victim" thing comes from. Assuming you can competently share air, that's all the victim wants. You being surprised shouldn't be an issue that prevents an air share.

flots.

I dont understand the argument here.

If a diver is OOA and panicked and they rip your reg out of your mouth....let them take it. Its why we have a backup. Ideally good training would prevent panic in a OOA situation. There are so many options: Then use Octo, Them use primary you use octo, buddy breathe. And if they have to swim like a bat out of hell to get to your air you are guilty of being a bad partner for allowing them to get so far away from you.

Where I come from your buddy is your life...if he pees, you hold...when he sleeps you watch...period. Honestly I would like to see this mentality transition more into the recreational diving community.

This is a very enlightening thread, that exploded with some interesting posts over the last 24 hours. It helps me, as an instructor, rethink how I do things, and what I should emphasize in training OW students. Personally, I find regulator recovery to be quite easy. But, then I practivce it a lot, every time I demonstrate it to OW studnets, when diving a 'conventional' regulator configuration. What this thread reminds me to do, in particular, is add emphasis and practice time to the tracing method. The sweep is easy, and relatively certain, IF the steps are properly performed (and they are frequently not), AND the second stage hose has not become looped back over the tank (which it occassionally does).

But, the thread also causes me to think about whether I should actively introduce all OW students to an alternate regulator configuration - long(er) primary hose and bungeed necklace alternate. I have not been doing that, but Maniago's comments, in fact, casue me to consider doing so.

I started diving a 'long primary hose, bungeed necklace alternate' configuration about a year after completing OW training. (I also moved to a BP/W configuration at the same time. I did (both) because I anticipated pursuing technical dive training in the future and wanted to begin preparing myself. But, what I found is that I very definitely prefer, for recreational diving, having my alternate second stage right below my mouth, where I can easily retrieve it, to address the exact situation that maniago found himself in.
I don't want to appear to discount any of what ya'll are telling me, but let me just re-focus everyone that I'm a newbee, I'm seeing things from a newbee perspective. . . . So specifically:

The necklace, I have seen and looked into it before we OW'ed, but that too is a complication in my newbee-eyes. Why? Ripping a reg from a newbee buddy, might save one, but panic the unexpected donor - who then shoots to the surface.
And, is it possible that your newbee-eyes have limited vision? Because, you DID go there - exactly there - albeit not because you were an unexpected donor, but because your regulator was knocked out of your mouth, and you could not find your primary or your alternate. That is not a criticism at all, in any way - you handled a difficult situation quite well, thought a lot about it afterward, solicited input, learned from it, etc, etc. But, because you suddenly found yourself without a second stage in your mouth, and your attempts to recover your primary second stage did not work, and you could not find your alternate, up you went. Is there a better way to avoid that? Here is a question:

As a newbee, what do YOU think would be the quickest, easiest way to retrieve a regulator to put back in your mouth, after your dive buddy has kicked it out?

1. Calmly lean (sharply) to your right, stick your right hand in front of you, elbow yourself in the ribs as you bring the arm back toward you, brush your butt with your right palm, stick your right arm out to the side and bring it forward, retrieve whatever hose(s) are captured in your elbow, and put the second stage in your mouth. (I am not being facetious with the terminology, by the way - that is actually how I teach it, for emphasis, to OW students 'elbow yourself', 'brush your butt', etc.)

2. Calmly take your left hand, lower it behind your back, find the bottom of the cylinder, push the cylinder up and to the right, reach over your shoulder with your right hand until you find the first stage, then trace one / two hoses from the first stage to a second stage, and put the second stage in your mouth.

3. Calmly take you right hand, reach immediately below your chin and retrieve the second stage resting there on a bungeed necklace, and put it in your mouth.

Ny point in asking the question is to encourage you, as a newbee, to not discard something because you are unfamiliar with it. You have thought through it, but have you really tried it? People with a lot more experience than you are saying, this is one possible solution - not the only one but definitely one of several. They have all been newbees at some point, don't assume they have forgotten what it is like. Some of them teach newbees regularly, don't assume they cannot relate. Don't assume something is way too complicated for a newbee, when in fact it may be a whole lot simpler and more straightforward than what you have been taught, simply because you have not tried it.

Having said that, your thoughts about practicing the tracing technique, etc., are spot on. And, yes, it would be great if OW training involved more time, and more dives. But, that isn't the reaility for what most people want in OW training, even if many of us, as instructors would welcome such a situation. So, consider your OW training as a license to begin learning how to dive, practice the skills that you began to develop (but, like the majority of OW students, probably didn't master the way you would have liked to), and be open to doing things differently than the way you were taught.

I dont understand the argument here.

If a diver is OOA and panicked and they rip your reg out of your mouth....let them take it. Its why we have a backup.

I agree 100% and this is exactly what I teach my students. If someone takes your primary then just stay calm and use your secondary. It's no big deal (provided you're familiar with your own kit). Once everyone has air again then nerves will quickly calm and the details can be sorted out. That's what I call my ABC rule. Priority #1 : AIR, priority #2 : Buoyancy control, Priority #3: communication.

Fighting about a regulator is trying to "communicate" (as it were) before the AIR is sorted out.... it's the wrong order and will only make things worse.

Ideally good training would prevent panic in a OOA situation.

Not in my opinion. good training will prevent ever getting to point of being OOA. Once you are OOA, however, training can delay panic but everyone... EVERYONE... has a breaking point.

Where I come from your buddy is your life...if he pees, you hold...when he sleeps you watch...period. Honestly I would like to see this mentality transition more into the recreational diving community.

This is somewhat cultural as well as a question of mentality. Some cultures are simply more individualistic than others and the teamwork mentality comes more slowly. I agree, however, that this mentality could (and should) be more prevalent in the diving communitiy.

R..

Not only does this make perfect sense to me, but it's the way I was recently taught in rescue.
Your instructor should be reported.

Similar to a lifeguard having to back away or escape a panicked swimmer.

Just so you know, there is no similarity between sharing air underwater and how a lifeguard handles a panicked swimmer. The swimmer has air available and the diver doesn't.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom