Group Trip - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Explain to me how this works...I LIKE the look of the hotel A LOT already. You book thru TP or directly with the hotel? Then...how do you get your gear to the dive op...etc etc?

Explain to me how this works...I LIKE the look of the hotel A LOT already. You book thru TP or directly with the hotel? Then...how do you get your gear to the dive op...etc etc?

I've been diving Coz annually for 15? years now. God has it been that long? That makes me feel old. Anyway, I've sliced and diced our Coz dive vacations every which way always looking for the best deal I can put together for what is right for us. I too thought booking a dive-and-stay package would cost me more as there HAS to be some premium paid for that package... I was convinced I could do better. Not so.

I well remember when I played that game with Jeanie at 3P's and she booked our 2 weeks of diving with 3P's but I elected to wait and see if I could find a better deal for Casa Mexicana accommodations on the various hotel booking websites that I could book myself separately as time ticked on. Well, I waited and waited and watched and all of a sudden the Casa's rates sky-rocketed on all the booking sites as the rooms they released to the booking sites were consumed. I emailed Jeanie in a panic (and ate my share of crow) asking if her dive-and-stay package rate she quoted me was still good. She assured me it was still good thank God. I've never played that wait-and-see game since. 3P's and the relationships they have with the hotels they've partnered with can't be beat... I tried to beat it, learned my lesson and won't do it again. Furthermore, Jeanie knows the best rooms the Casa has to offer and 3P's clout with the Casa usually means you are going to get the best rooms with the best views be they Delux Oceanfront or City View.

We fly in, take the common taxi bus to the Casa and check in, unpack and haul our gear around the corner to 3P's shop to drop it off. We settle up with shop manager Pony for whatever he requests on our credit card (as 3P's paid for our entire stay at the Casa ahead of time) maybe 50% of the total package cost or something... and then we walk away and head to the Mega to stock our room fridge with cold Sol beer and grab some snacks before heading out to dinner later. Next day after breakfast we walk around the corner to 3P's shop for courtesy transport to the boats that leaves the shop at 7:40 AM and then for 2 weeks it is "rinse-and-repeat" each day only we do no rinsing or hauling gear - 3P's does all that.

It is book-it-and-forget-about-it, dive-and-stay perfection as far as we're concerned. Heck, it's May and we've already booked a 16 day dive and stay package for this December with them!

Last edited:
I've been diving Coz annually for 15? years now. God has it been that long? That makes me feel old. Anyway, I've sliced and diced our Coz dive vacations every which way always looking for the best deal I can put together for what is right for us. I too thought booking a dive-and-stay package would cost me more as there HAS to be some premium paid for that package... I was convinced I could do better. Not so.

I well remember when I played that game with Jeanie at 3P's and she booked our 2 weeks of diving with 3P's but I elected to wait and see if I could find a better deal for Casa Mexicana accommodations on the various hotel booking websites that I could book myself separately as time ticked on. Well, I waited and waited and watched and all of a sudden the Casa's rates sky-rocketed on all the booking sites as the rooms they released to the booking sites were consumed. I emailed Jeanie in a panic (and ate my share of crow) asking if her dive-and-stay package rate she quoted me was still good. She assured me it was still good thank God. I've never played that wait-and-see game since. 3P's and the relationships they have with the hotels they've partnered with can't be beat... I tried to beat it, learned my lesson and won't do it again. Furthermore, Jeanie knows the best rooms the Casa has to offer and 3P's clout with the Casa usually means you are going to get the best rooms with the best views be they Delux Oceanfront or City View.

We fly in, take the common taxi bus to the Casa and check in, unpack and haul our gear around the corner to 3P's shop to drop it off. We settle up with shop manager Pony for whatever he requests on our credit card (as 3P's paid for our entire stay at the Casa ahead of time) maybe 50% of the total package cost or something... and then we walk away and head to the Mega to stock our room fridge with cold Sol beer and grab some snacks before heading out to dinner later. Next day after breakfast we walk around the corner to 3P's shop for courtesy transport to the boats that leaves the shop at 7:40 AM and then for 2 weeks it is "rinse-and-repeat" each day only we do no rinsing or hauling gear - 3P's does all that.

It is book-it-and-forget-about-it, dive-and-stay perfection as far as we're concerned. Heck, it's May and we've already booked a 16 day dive and stay package for this December with them!

How many dives/day? When do you analyze tanks? I presume they bring you back to the shop afterwards? (Sorry about all the questions...)!

How many dives/day? When do you analyze tanks? I presume they bring you back to the shop afterwards? (Sorry about all the questions...)!
They offer a two tank dive at 8 AM and afternoon (1:30 PM) , twilight and night dives on demand.

They offer 2 morning dives and 2 afternoon dive so you can get in 4 dives a day if you choose and they’ll drop you off for lunch at a restaurant in between the morning and afternoon dives while they go restock tanks. So there’s no need for you to ride all the way back to the caleta. You can relax while they do all the scurrying around.

You analyze tanks on the boat. There’s plenty of time while you’re headed out to the dive site.

Yes, they’ll bring you back to the shop afterwards.

You may find more answers here Scuba Diving Cozumel -Dive Packages-Top Rated Cozumel Dive Shop

We only dive the AM as we enjoy roaming around town in the afternoons, kicking back on the Casa's pool deck or even enjoying an afternoon siesta. Having a topside vaca as well as a dive vaca (2 vaca's for the price of one) is what we like. We are at the shop at 7:40 AM for 3P's courtesy transport to the marina where we board the boats. We are usually departing the marina around 8AM. 3P's has all of our gear set up on the tanks when we board the boat. That being said, I've NEVER allowed a dive op to set up our gear but since 3P's was taking care of it anyway I figured I'd allow that and see how it went. I do perform my own highly anal inspection of the set up and make my personal adjustments as I see fit but bottom line, I trust them with my gear and if you knew me that says a great deal as I generally don't like anyone touching our gear.

Yes, 3P's offers courtesy transport back to the shop in town from the boats when the dives are concluded. We are usually back in town between Noon and 1PM depending on time of year/traffic from the AM dives. For those who want to do the afternoon 2-tank dives (too much for me anymore) 3P's often drops those divers off a Money Bar if they wish for lunch and beach lounge time before picking them them up again there for the afternoon dives from Money Bar's dock.

I dive air but if you are a nitrox diver the boats have analyzers on board. If you're anal like me you'd probably chose to check your tank with both yours and theirs.

I can't imagine a simpler, better planned method. Simply contact Jeanie (dive@trespelicanos.com) and she is more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

In OUR case, we found out their boats are licensed to carry 10 divers each, so we capped our group at 10 well qualified divers. We have a great group and each day we are able to decide what we want to do. IN OUR CASE, it is less complicated to send the boat over to the local pier (at a substantially higher cost to 3P's) to pick us up. Said local pier happens to be steps across the main street from Casa Mexicana, which is a very comfortable hotel. I can't imagine booking this hotel any other way than through Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos. She is so on the ball and I'm sure they appreciate that. They assign really nice rooms to 3P clients. I'm currently enjoying the view from a 5th floor ocean facing balcony as the cruise ships come and go. Sunset every evening is quite a spectacle. Those who didn't want to pay extra for ocean view are still on the top floor and have balconies. We just feel like we are getting special treatment each way we turn!

On the first day, we brought our gear to the dive shop, were given a dive gear storage bag for the week by Pony (who, by the way, is THE MAN!), and put our BC, regulator, fins, etc. in the bag. Any personal items stay with us. Our dive gear is set up and waiting for us on the boat each morning. After our second dive (we have elected to do 2 morning dives each day and "play" in the afternoon/evening) our gear is rinsed and stored and waiting for us on the boat the next morning. We only keep our dive computers and personal items we will need to access in the evenings.

It's truly valet service with a family feel. In a few short days, we have already bonded and are ready to book the next trip. Look out Cozumel - the Cajuns are hooked!

STEVE'S CAJUN ANGELS:
20180502_202022.jpg

Is it really only $700/pp for the 7 night/5 dive day package? Seems like a really good deal... how much is it for the ocean view room?

Back
Top Bottom