GUE/DIR Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tuckerjt07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My observation is that everyone on the board, for the most part, agrees that DIR divers have great skill sets, ie trim, bouancy, finning techniques, etc. Most seem to agree that they get these skills from GUE Fundamentals, and that this is a great, almost vital if seems, class to the becoming a better diver. My question is that if this is the case, and the class is so important why put the gear restrictions on divers who want to take the class. In all fairness what is the major difference in configuration of a bp/w and my Transpac if I have no intention of going DIR, and but simply desire to obtain better skills. The restrictions also create additional expenses that prevents some from taking the time course. Why not broaden the allowable equipment selection for the fundamentals course. After all the goal is to create better divers is it not?

Before you ask, yes I have dove a bp/w with a hot harness, no I did not like it, long surface walk inability to dive shirtless due to chaffing, yes I do love my Transpac, do not want to change, and will eventually convert to a Nomad. Furthermore, I understand what DIR is and the reason for the equipment restrictions, just curious as to why my choice of gear prohibits me from taking what most call the best skills class.

It's kind of hard to take an autocross class if you show up driving a Pinto.

DIR is a system and it works when all the pieces are utilized. When I took my fundies class years ago, BPW was not a requirement, but long hose was. Dunno if that's changed or not. But it's hard to learn the airsharing and other skills if you dont have the equipment to do it in.

If you want to improve skills without following their recommendations, there is always classes from other agencies like Peak Performance Buoyancy. :)

The Fundamentals course is more than just skills. Its also an introduction to the GUE method of diving, which includes the equipment, team procedures, decompression techniques, and the individual diver skills. The equipment (to include the bp) is an important part of the whole thing.

I believe a Transpac is acceptable as the requirements state only a minimalistic BCD. However, a BP/wing provides much more stability. I dove a Transpac for 8+ years and would never contemplate going back.

I understand that, however, I already dive with a seven foot hose on my primary and necklace my secondary, the only difference in the suggested gear configurations right now is that I do not yet own a light, or backup light, and I am diving soft backplate instead of hard backplate.

#3, equipment requirement:
Backplate System: A rigid and flat platform, of metal construction with minimal padding, held to a diver by one continuous piece of nylon webbing. This webbing should be adjustable through the plate and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist. A crotch strap attached to the lower end of this platform and looped through the waistband would prevent the system from riding up a diver's back.

#4 Buoyancy Compensation Device: A diver's buoyancy compensation device should be back-mounted and minimalist in nature. It should come free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material. There should be no restrictive bands or "bungee" of any sort affixed to the buoyancy cell. In addition, diver lift should not exceed 50lbs for a single tank and 80lbs for double tanks. Wing size and shape should be appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training

#4 Buoyancy Compensation Device: A diver's buoyancy compensation device should be back-mounted and minimalist in nature. It should come free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material. There should be no restrictive bands or "bungee" of any sort affixed to the buoyancy cell. In addition, diver lift should not exceed 50lbs for a single tank and 80lbs for double tanks. Wing size and shape should be appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training

They are referring to the wing in this section I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom