GUE/DIR Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will second that, if you don't wish to pursue the DIR system of diving, then a cavern class would be a most excellent alternative. One of my newer dive buddies is cavern certified and while we aren't always on the same page yet, he's still a solid diver and I enjoy my dives with him.

The big thing about DIR education is that, with the instructor corps being so small, the quality of the instructors is very dependable: you know that you are getting top-notch education. It's not necessarily so in other, larger agencies that may not have the standards of the DIR organizations, or even the ability to control the quality of their instructors.

Normally I judge an instructor by their students, but if you are GUE or UTD certified then I have much less anxiety about my dive buddy because I know we are on the same page in equipment, dive planning considerations, and diving procedures. I wrote a report on my first post-Fundies dive, and it is here, if you choose to read it. That's what I think gives most of the DIR people such a great feeling about the system we use, because it allows relative strangers to go out and enjoy great diving together with all the big details already in place and, thus, eliminates a lot of potential anxiety.

Peace,
Greg

I'm not sure the OP WANTS to take a class that focuses on team diving. He wants better skills. You can find instruction in better skills in any number of places, although you may have to do your homework.

I entered into this system of diving from the same perspective: better skills; completely oblivious to the team aspects and other aspects of the system -- though unlike the OP I didn't have any preconceived bias (I didn't know what DIR was, or GUE, or UTD, but I bumped into a UTD instructor and the rest is history).

The system in its entirety made sense to me, I willingly adopted it, and I intend to pursue it as far as I can financially justify due to my deeper desires to expand my exploration capabilities... which looks to be pretty far.

OP may find the same!

I'm not sure the OP WANTS to take a class that focuses on team diving. He wants better skills. You can find instruction in better skills in any number of places, although you may have to do your homework.

I tend toward a rather innocent belief that everybody who dives would be happier if they dove as a team, the way I have learned to do, but it's very clear from reading this board that some folks have agendas for their diving (spearfishing, for example) that may not work well as a team activity. If somebody has made the decision that a "DIR" style of diving is not for them, but still wants skills development, then I think it's a nice thing to suggest places where they can find what THEY want, and not what I want for them . . .

Well, I was referring to the assumption, on the OPs part, that the skills and equipment are vital to becoming a better diver, because that is how the OP sees GUE--equipment and skills. My point is that in a vacuum these skills dont necessarily make you a better diver. I was merely pointing out that he is wrong (IMO) if that is what he thinks makes DIR great in the water. It's not. It's their team.

If the OP just wants skills in a vacuum I am sure he can find quality instruction outside of GUE.

Well, I was referring to the assumption, on the OPs part, that the skills and equipment are vital to becoming a better diver, because that is how the OP sees GUE--equipment and skills. My point is that in a vacuum these skills dont necessarily make you a better diver. I was merely pointing out that he is wrong (IMO) if that is what he thinks makes DIR great in the water. It's not. It's their team.

If the OP just wants skills in a vacuum I am sure he can find quality instruction outside of GUE.

I understand that the GUE approach is about more than just standard skills, but buddy and team skills are, while important, just another set of skills, hence the etc. I am sorry I did not list every single facet I hoped to receive from the class.

Ultimately what makes someone a solid diver is a combination of skills and the ability to make good decisions. The DIR approach to team diving encourages people along the path to good decision-making, which is why it is such an important part of the system ... but it imposes its own limitations by providing a fairly narrow set of equipment and diving style choices. For those who see these choices as advantageous to their personal goals and preferences, it's a great way to dive. But it isn't the team that makes it great ... it's the implementation of the team in the decision-making process.

Understanding the risks associated with your diving style choices, and developing the skills and knowledge to mitigate those risks is what makes someone a great diver. This can be accomplished with or without a team ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ultimately what makes someone a solid diver is a combination of skills and the ability to make good decisions. The DIR approach to team diving encourages people along the path to good decision-making, which is why it is such an important part of the system ... but it imposes its own limitations by providing a fairly narrow set of equipment and diving style choices. For those who see these choices as advantageous to their personal goals and preferences, it's a great way to dive. But it isn't the team that makes it great ... it's the implementation of the team in the decision-making process.

Understanding the risks associated with your diving style choices, and developing the skills and knowledge to mitigate those risks is what makes someone a great diver. This can be accomplished with or without a team ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think we are agreeing. I am saying that what makes GUE powerful is not the skills it is the system it teaches. Beyond the system, the skills and control can be learned by any good instructor (of which there are a few here and there). I was just trying to point out that GUE is not the only place to go except for the purest form of DIR diving style.

My favorite instructor, and the one I have learned an enormous amount from, is a solo diver, so I know what you have said through first hand experience.

Back
Top Bottom