GUE Rec Triox Trip Report: Something may go wrong…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijumpr

Registered
Reaction score
“Something may go wrong” the words that echoed through my head as Mike politely asked for my mask during an air-share drill. Mike Kane (known as MHK on most boards) uttered these words before we submerged on our 3rd dive of the class. They became the mantra for the class.

The Austin, TX DIR group that had not yet gone to the level of Tech 1, Cave 1 decided to bring Mike back into town for the Rec Triox class. To some in the class, this was a precursor to going on to Tech 1 and Cave 1. 2 students are planning on going to Akumal for Cave 1 in January and we all needed to get hammered on before moving up to technical training.

Let me put a few points in to help setup the report. First, this class is about how to dive safely at depths 0-120 and the GUE/DIR methodology used to support this. Triox is only a portion of the class with skills, experience and fitness (DIRs big three) being harped on as the most important aspect of diving in this range. Triox is only one tool used to accomplish safe diving below ~ 80ft. Secondly, practice is the word. We (all who took the class) practiced extensively on our fundamentals in the month leading up to the class. I can’t over emphasize this enough. You need to have your fundamentals stuff together to get the most out of this class (and I suspect any other GUE class). So with that said, we went into this class with our minds open to the knowledge Mike was to bestow upon us.

Day one: We arrived Friday 8:45am at Lake Travis to begin the class. With this format, we dove in the morning, grabed lunch, and spent the afternoon in the classroom.. So we all setup for the morning’s dive while Mike went over the class and objectives for the day’s dives. Since I’m going to get a Drysuit soon, I asked Mike to go over this again so it is fresh in my mind. After that, we jumped in for the morning’s festivities. The 1st dive, we went down to a platform at ~ 20ft and Mike ran a line to another platform at ~ 25ft. This allowed us to follow the line as a team with some tactical interruptions (like S-drills, light failures, ect.). This allowed Mike to evaluate us on our Fundamental skills. The 2nd dive was like the 1st with the exception of some simulated valve failures, and shooting a bag demonstration.

Once the dives were complete, we grabbed lunch and headed back to the shop. We received the day one lecture with a review of Fundamentals, and a thorough look at Nitrox, it’s applications and limitations. One the most compelling realizations we had in this lecture is that we all basically had $600 depth gauges on our wrist. Once we were all filled up with day one’s knowledge, we went to fill our tanks for the next days fun. After that, we all went to dinner at one of the visiting GUE instructor’s favorite steakhouses…

Day two: Another great day in Texas’ capital started with acouple more dives with the emphasis on shooting bags, rescuing both a unconscious and toxing diver, valve drills and more assorted (simulated) failures. On every dive of this class, we changed up the buddies to ensure that we all got familiar with each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Once in the crystal clear water of Lake Travis, we took our turns demonstrating our (well practiced) valve drills under the watchful eye of our instructor. Once that was done (not to say that we didn’t touch our valves again…) we went on to shooting a bag, and rescuing a toxing diver. We took turns doing rescues from the platform and was a great experience for all. This is a skill that needs to be practiced often so that it also becomes second nature and is one of the key take a way’s in the class. With that done, we ran a line out to ~40ft and shot a bag. Here we moved on to a deeper rescue and tried a ascent / descent drill. I say tried because we let a few things get to the point of a multiple failure situation. This included simulated valve failures, S-drills (with the knowledge of who’s valves were “failed”) and a few masks being asked for. Once on the surface, it was evident that we needed our game faces on for the 4th dive of the class (2nd of the 2nd day). After getting out, Gatoraid/foodaiding, we got the after-action report from Mike. Basically our teamwork communication needed help and our situational awareness sucked. We should have stopped everything with a hold signal while we got sorted out. Into the water for the last dive of the day, we had a look of determination about us. This dive went much better. We did our descent / ascent drill much better, while ol’ “something may go wrong” reared its ugly head once again. We even had an actual single tank wing failure (turned out to be gunk/sand in the dump valve) and a couple of light failures, all of which was handled quickly. Once on the surface again, we decided to do a line drill with one of the prospective future caver’s running a line. We pared off differently again and went down to run line. Once out about 50ft, a out of air with one team was compounded with a simulated toxing diver on the other team. Once on the surface, we all decided to go back down as a team to retrieve the line and got to see a demonstration on how to reel in with your secondary light.

Day 2 dives completed, we grabbed lunch and went back to the shop for the 2nd lecture. This lecture went into detail on C02 toxicity, Narcosis and Helium use. We also went into detail on Decompression theory. This does not mean that we learned about advanced decompression techniques, but with the base knowledge that all dives are decompression dives, we reviewed the use of recreational decompression including deepstops and how our ascent profile should look. Within this we went into detail on decompression history and the differences in the different algorithms that further illustrated the futility of computers. We talked about mixing techniques and labeling, then went and watched our tanks getting mixed with the golden mix, Triox 30/30 for Day 3’s dives. Most of us went to dinner again and looked forward to our experience dives the next day.

Day 3 Experience dives in GUE classes are just that, the instructors are there to evaluate you on a actual dive. No simulated failures are introduced, but that doesn’t mean that you just put gear on and get in the water. You are expected to apply what you’ve learned, plan your dive with the appropriate gas planning techniques, SADDDD and teamwork. We went on 2 dives with conditions limiting our depth to 85ft on both dives. Everything went smoothly with the only issue being our getting out of formation on the ascent on the 2nd dive. I want to add, wow what a difference He and proper techniques makes on these dives.

Back at the shop, we took the test (not easy), graded it and went over our answers to ensure that we understood our mistakes.

Take a way’s from the class: This was an awesome recreational class. It works as both a proper kick in the ass advanced recreational class, and a great introduction to the more technical aspects of diving (this is not a proper technical class). One other thing, PRACTICE! Get your team together and practice before the class. This is not to say that you might be able to take the class without practice, but I believe that you’ll get much more out of the class if you are solid on fundamentals and team communication. Remember, something may go wrong…

You just have to love this. 1 Post and no profile. What a sock puppet.

chrpai once bubbled...
You just have to love this. 1 Post and no profile. What a sock puppet.
Your profile ain't exactly extensive.

Plus...did you actually read any of the report....sounds a lot like what happens in a GUE class....well, at least the one I attended with Kane anyway....

Get off your high horse and find something productive to harp about.

Your has no more information then mine. I suppose your just proud of the fact that you find time to post 6 times a day. Guess your not doing enough diving. Either way you can't even compare me to a person with 1 post and no profile. I've been around for years and everyone knows that I'm a real person.

What is your point...where is your evidence that s/he is a sock puppett? You don't get it...why ridicule someone who is trying to help out the board with their first post....

Frankly I think hijumpr post was very informative and enlightening, I hope hijumpr continues to stay around b/c the dude can obvioulsy add something productive to the board.

Thanks for the report hijumpr...I am sure more people will benefit from it the way I did....thanks again

-T

Oh please you know my point, your just drank too much kool-aid.

I'm not going to explain the lack of value in someone just cross posting spam with new userid's. Last time this happened the guy was busted for it not even being is own trip report.

chrpai once bubbled...
Oh please you know my point, your just drank too much kool-aid.

I'm not going to explain the lack of value in someone just cross posting spam with new userid's.

Hey Chris,

I realize that you are accustomed to the rec.scuba approach, but did it ever occur to you to think that during the weekend the concept of internet scubaboards popped up and one of my students may have asked which ones I enjoyed and which ones I avoid??? It may come as a surprise to you based on your time at rec.scuba, but some actually want to get on newsgroups and meet new people and share experiences.. Tyson is a real person, he worked hard during the DIR-F class, the practice sessions in-between, and then again during the Triox class and decided to indtroduce himself to the list.. What is your problem with that???

Please leave your arguments for rec.scuba, this list is enjoyable so please don't ruin it..

Later

I assume you mean he asked you which ones you would like him to spam for you.

Funny how you know his name and no one else does. As for rec.scuba, word has it you were instructed not to visit there anymore.

Back
Top Bottom