GUE Rec Triox Trip Report: Something may go wrong…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but my question for you than is this? (This is not meant to be interpreted as "stirring the pot". These posts are here for me to try and understand the reasoning behind certain views.)

I am assuming that the nitrox 32 is because of less nitrogen loading. But what exactly is the point of using trimix up to 130? Would a 28% nitrox be acceptable? I would be diving under a 1.4 ppO2, and lessened my nitrogen loading.

To be honest, my whole apprehension is that using Trimix at depths between 80 and 130 would exclude me from many dives due to economic considerations.

Thanks for your input...
MHK, thanks for the previous clarification.

radagalf once bubbled...
but my question for you than is this? (This is not meant to be interpreted as "stirring the pot". These posts are here for me to try and understand the reasoning behind certain views.)

I am assuming that the nitrox 32 is because of less nitrogen loading. But what exactly is the point of using trimix up to 130? Would a 28% nitrox be acceptable? I would be diving under a 1.4 ppO2, and lessened my nitrogen loading.

To be honest, my whole apprehension is that using Trimix at depths between 80 and 130 would exclude me from many dives due to economic considerations.

Thanks for your input...
MHK, thanks for the previous clarification.

A fair amount of the class involves identifying and balancing the appropriate solution against the relative risks. But the first part is understanding what the true risks are. Dropping your F02 from 32% to 28% misidentifies the true risks. I don't mean that harshly, but it's as plainly as I can say it. The true risk at depth is C02 toxicity, I don't mean to suggest that 02 toxicity isn't a concern because it certainly is, but it's somewhat easier to manage by keeping lower PP02's, which is what you suggested. That is only one part of the equation, and it stems from a mindset that is often promoted in the industry that helium is bad for you. It's that misconception that precludes many from recognizing the risks and solving the problem before it occurs.

In the dive example that I cited above, as you probably know air becomes more dense the deeper you go. Moreover, I stipulated that you would be diving doubles, drysuit, cold, currents and so forth. meaning that you'll be working harder. Those contributory factors make the accumulation of C02 much more likley. When retained C02 is approximately 130 times more narcotic then N2, so the possibility for C02 retention, accumulation and/or toxicity increases exponentially. So while pushing your PP02 downs, which is what many in the industry promote you increase your FN2, whereas we believe that helium is much more beneficial you can start to see that many misidentitfy the risk, then subscribe the wrong prescription to diagnose the problem..

Hope that helps

hijumpr once bubbled...
Thanks to those who appreciated my post. Sorry if cross posting is viewed poorly, I had just read a lot about DIR-F and the Triox class on this board, that I thought it would be a good idea to contribute here as well.

First of all, welcome to the board.

Second of all, don't worry about Painter. He has issues with DIR, GUE, MHK, and several other things too. Chris has a history on rec.scuba and since many rec.scubians have started branching out his past has followed him. Mine has too. So has Kane's. So has... well you get the picture.

As for cross posting, I've seen your story several different place and don't really see what the stink is all about. Personally I'm growing tired of all the DIR-F class reports because they're becoming more and more common but something like rec triox is still pretty fresh.

Oh, and about your profile... at least put where you're from...

As I am not "All over the place" this is the first report that I can recall reading.

Aside from the brain wash :), of the $600.00 computer (Who spends that much on one?? I know I didn't spend that for a computer AND a bottom timer) I actually liked the report. It always reminds me off the practicing I should be doing.

The only other aside, is the laugh I get with the continuing stone-walling of a real "fleshing out" of the facts as it pertains to some of MHK's ideas. Beside myself, there's LAL, and BJDriver for two more, that have asked the same pointed questions, and never get any answers.

Yeah, we all must be trolls :)

Nope, just want the questions answered.

Welcome aboard buddy!!

As far as your profile.......it's your choice! I ain't gonna slam ya for wanting your privacy. THere's a thread going around that want's us to post pics of our kids!!!

C'mon!!!!!

DeepScuba once bubbled...

The only other aside, is the laugh I get with the continuing stone-walling of a real "fleshing out" of the facts as it pertains to some of MHK's ideas. Beside myself, there's LAL, and BJDriver for two more, that have asked the same pointed questions, and never get any answers.

I'm trying hard to recall where I've ever slighted you, LAL and/or BJDiver, as I try to be as accessible as time allows or as I have the ability to answer questions on a BBS. Also, if a thread on this list starts going into a wierd direction I usually unsubscribe from it and don't follow it any further so perhaps I missed your query..

We believe that we can support anything that we say and we are happy to try, in the context of a BBS, I'll even suggest that I believe that I give away more information for free then just about any other instructor that I know, but that being said if you have something you haven't had answered you can post it here, you can start a new thread, you can PM me or you can call me at 310-550-8004 and I'll try to respond.

Regards

Nope, you've NEVER slighted me.

But we (BJDriver, LAL) have on several occassions asked some pointed questions, several times in fact.

It was usually on those "Heated" topics you tend to avoid (I can see why).

I must be mellowing these days, I think I could actually take a course off of "you guys" someday :)

heheheh

What were the quesitons??? Fugetaboutit. I ain't rehashing several volumes of material when I already have my reason for doing XXX the way I do, and so it seems several people whom I regard as knowledgeable do agree as well. They don't follow the "true" GUE way, but I see zero downside. (The computer thing being but one).

Don't even get me going.................

Regards.

Now I said stop.....

:eek:ff:

First I want to comment on the one's who are giving this report a bunch of BS.
Personally I find this report very good.
I would like to commend MHK and the GUE training staff.
I took a DIR-F class back this summer and learned a crap load. No I didn’t pass due to my surface swim ability, which I have worked on tremendously, and even my skills still since it was my first time in a wing.
The skills I learned was to make me a safer diver, personally I find the DIR type training a great improvements over the recreational diving training. Again my instructor was Dave sweeten and Tyler moon both very competent diver and very skilled.
I will be back this summer to finish what I started to go all the way which the initial DIR-F class.

I don't really give a damn what all the zealots think they know about me, or think about me. The fact remains when some newbie pops his head in with 1 post and no profile, posting a "trip report" (which sounds alot more like a testimonial/paid advertisement to me) that its pretty damn suspicious and sickening. It just gets to be a real joke. Especially since last time this happenend the guy who posted later was caught copying and pasting from another website and pawning it off as his own trip report.

But I guess to all of you, the ends justifies the means.

'nuff said.

Any suggestion that this is what's happening here. Or that he was paid for his report. Or that it isn't accurate? Or that he didn't participate in the course?

Just curious......

chrpai once bubbled...
I don't really give a damn what all the zealots think they know about me, or think about me. The fact remains when some newbie pops his head in with 1 post and no profile, posting a "trip report" (which sounds alot more like a testimonial/paid advertisement to me) that its pretty damn suspicious and sickening. It just gets to be a real joke. Especially since last time this happenend the guy who posted later was caught copying and pasting from another website and pawning it off as his own trip report.

But I guess to all of you, the ends justifies the means.

'nuff said.

Maybe, just maybe, the poster in question was just introduced recently to the board. And perhaps said poster was so eager to recount his/her experiences that he/she didn't bother to fill in the profile, rationalizaing that they could do so later.

Surely you didn't join the board having multiple posts already racked up??

Besides the poster named the instructor, a member of this board, who further backed up the original poster's story. Get a clue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom