Gue Vs Tdi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lackingcreativity

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I know that it is always said that it isn't the training agency which determins the quality of training, its the instructor, but is that really true? After I compared the Gue and TDI websites the GUE courses seem to be much more demanding and they seem to require much more to take the course. Is this true? (Note: I am not trying to cause an arguement, I am just going off of what I saw on the website)

All GUE courses are held to a high standard, and I would assume cover pretty much the exact same things and are about equal in difficulty.

With a large agency like TDI the courses will vary based on the instructor, so will be great, some not. The topics and the depth to which they are covered will vary and be greatly effected by where that instructor did/does most of their diving, which can be good or bad.

Generally speaking (meaning more than likely but I know of one exception) I will say there simply is no comparision, with GUE "winning" handily.

As I've heard from a GUE Instructor in my parts say, "you're far more likely to get a good diving education with a GUE Instructor than you are taking shots in the dark with other instructors from other agencies." Again, I do know of exceptions to the rule, but it is one rule that I'd hang my hat on if I were you.

<ducking of course>

Do a search for loads of threads on this topic.

Hello Ben!

O-Ring has certs from both. He could probably give you a good comparision. Just drop him a PM.

It really does come down to the instructor, both in their quality and a personality and 'fit' with your beliefs as far as diving goes. It's just that GUE has some systems in place to try and be sure their instructors are still doing some diving [as opposed to just teaching], and the chance of landing a crappy GUE instructor is a little less than the roll of the dice with other agencies.

But like all instructors, it's best to talk to former students and get some feedback.

As everyone wlse said its the instructor not the agencey
TDI gives alot of leeway to the instructor and therfore cant give as much internet content as a more ridgid agencey can
for the kind of diving you want to learn. your instructor shoud be doin that themself.
dont take a class from a instructor that only teaches it because he can and likes the extra money take it from somone who personall loves that kind of diving. regardless of agency with that aproach i thnk youll get the best training avalable

OK - I know this is going to be controversial, but let me say this:

All the folks who say "It's about the Instructor, not the agency," don't appear to have been GUE trained, have they? So just who are they making excuses for?

Something to think about, friends. Something to think about.

There is a difference between agencies and the way the courses are structured. IMHO this is how I see it. Yes the instructor does make the course but the agency sets the direction and mind set. No I am not a GUE instructor, Yes I have reviewed the standards and materials and considered going that route. Decided not to do that for reasons that have nothing to do with the topic.

In General:

GUE will give you a solid base that is a (for the most part) set standard and other divers with the same training will have the same set up and procedures.

Pro's: Creates much less task loading for the student and divers as well. Narrows down the choices on configuration and gear making it easier to get your equipment set up. Very solid team approach. Much less variation from one instructor to the next. System of review for the instructors to ensure that teaching skills are up to date and sharp.

Con's: Creates a mind set (sometimes) that the diver is completly prepared for diving situations because of the high training standard. The rigid system can be slow to keep up with changes in technology and/or advancements. The training standards take an approach that a dive team is always the safest and best course of action, which can lead to team reliance. Some of the aproaches to the physics make asumptions that may or may not be prudent for certain dive profiles or situations.

TDI: Has a very loose standard and leaves the structure (for the most part) up to the instructor.

Pro's: The class can be structured to fit the specific interests of the student. Instructors have the freedom to add to the class specifics that they feel through their experience will help. It is easy to modify the curriculum to incorporate the newest technology. Allows the student a lot of personal choice in what will work for them and their type of diving. Self reliance is the main topic and awareness of the differences between divers is stressed. Though possibly overwhelming the options and types of dives that are possible should be foremost in the students mind, this should also keep the student looking at their own ability and keep them self assesing.

Con's: The instructor will make or break the class, with little experience in tech diving the student may not know enough to get a good instructor. The student can feel overwhelmed with what an instructor brings to the class depending on the level the instructor sets for their own class.

This should give you a base view of how I see the organizations mind set. If you look at my profile you will see that I am presently inactive as an instructor. It has to do with time I can dedicate to teaching (which is none at the moment). I am current though and keep up with what is going on. The agency will not make the diver but they are different. For me I prefer to have more flexibility and put into my classes what I feel is relevant. My diving also tends towards the more uncommon in some respects as well. I hope this helps with your question.

Scuba_Steve:
Hello Ben!
Hi Steve.

I would say if you take a shot in the dark it's because you didn't turn on the lights. If you're planning on taking a technical class you should interview your potential instructors, talk to their diving buddies and former students.

I could sit down with any GUE instructor and learn something, probably not the same with every TDI instructor, but I could get a better class from a TDI instructor then from a GUE instructor because my thinking doesn't perfectly align with GUE (to say the least! :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom