Gue Vs Tdi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boogie711:
So just who are they making excuses for?
Hmmm, I don't see it as an excuse, more as the difference between a fixed wrench and a crescent wrench, GUE instructors teach very specific classes, they have no option but to be excellent instructors, but they have little leeway in what and how they teach, TDI (IANTD, PADI, everyone else) instructors are given leeway which can be an advantage and let the instructor fit each individual student, or it can be abused and end up rounding the nut, er, student. It's all about the fit.

there sure seems to be more GUE/DIR divers on scubaboard then you'll find on dive sites .

and I'm not so sure that the BEST diver are GUE/DIR trained.

of course most diver can decide for themselves what agencies best for them, so the whole GUE vs. TDI is a moot point at best

nova:
there sure seems to be more GUE/DIR divers on scubaboard then you'll find on dive sites .

and I'm not so sure that the BEST diver are GUE/DIR trained.

of course most diver can decide for themselves what agencies best for them, so the whole GUE vs. TDI is a moot point at best

Nova,
I do not agree with your assesment, the differences IMHO are not moot. People are different and one style or frame of mind may not fit someone else. Case in point, I have a very good friend that has the same IQ as me and I consider to be every bit my equal. In college this friend carried a 3.7 gpa. I on the other hand struggled to pass any class. Later I entered a self paced program at the same time as my friend. I came through it at the top of my class while my friend struggled the entire time. We both have our strengths and weaknesses. The two different styles of learning only showed the difference in how we accumulate knowledge. There are differences in all of the agencies, some are big and some are not but there are still differences and one may be a better fit then the other for a particular person, their background, and their experience level.

Bobby F:
Nova,
I do not agree with your assesment, the differences IMHO are not moot. People are different and one style or frame of mind may not fit someone else. Case in point, I have a very good friend that has the same IQ as me and I consider to be every bit my equal. In college this friend carried a 3.7 gpa. I on the other hand struggled to pass any class. Later I entered a self paced program at the same time as my friend. I came through it at the top of my class while my friend struggled the entire time. We both have our strengths and weaknesses. The two different styles of learning only showed the difference in how we accumulate knowledge. There are differences in all of the agencies, some are big and some are not but there are still differences and one may be a better fit then the other for a particular person, their background, and their experience level.

The moot point is that some divers take diving seriously. It doesn't matter what agency signs off on a stinking cert. those divers will excell at what they love to do by reveiwing all agency standards and picking what's best for them. Anyone who only studies one agencies standards , only knows one standard

hope that this doesn't offend anyone.

The only people with any relevant comments are those who have taken courses through both. As we all know beyond material it's up to the instructor. I have only taken TDI classes - I can't comment on GUE except from anecdotal impressions from GUE divers.

Considering the extreme tunnel vision of many DIR divers, it's a given they will say GUE is the best and not necessarily with any first hand knowledge.

--Matt

nova:
The moot point is that some divers take diving seriously. It doesn't matter what agency signs off on a stinking cert. those divers will excell at what they love to do by reveiwing all agency standards and picking what's best for them. Anyone who only studies one agencies standards , only knows one standard

hope that this doesn't offend anyone.

Not offended in the least but I do think you missed the point. Standards are not as important as the students best way of learning and their experiences coming into the class. Some will excel in one format while others do better in another. Picking what is best for them is exactly why I think the post was started and that is what the person wanted to know, what is the difference in the formats and structure. Some may not be as deeply experienced as you and have the ability to know what best fits their needs so they ask questions on the board to gather information that fits their decision making process.

matt_unique:
The only people with any relevant comments are those who have taken courses through both. As we all know beyond material it's up to the instructor. I have only taken TDI classes - I can't comment on GUE except from anecdotal impressions from GUE divers.

Considering the extreme tunnel vision of many DIR divers, it's a given they will say GUE is the best and not necessarily with any first hand knowledge.

--Matt

Sorry I did not understand that I had to have the cards to have any relevant experience. I guess that diving with folks that have taken the classes and instructors who teach, and diving with the folks that put the program together.

GUE divers are no different then others and yes they feel that they got the best training when they had the right instructor. They also tend to be very open to others view points and look at other things when they are very much into diving.

GUE gets lumped in with WKKP and one source that makes an *** of himeself and what ever he has any connection to, but only the new and unlearned or the smaller 20% are so close minded.

matt_unique:

--Matt

I really do agree with your statement about tunnel vision. The whole GUE website to me seems to be filled with propaganda trying to get people to buy Halcyon gear. I can remember one passage on BCs and it basically said OMS, diverite, and other top manufactuers bc's aren't as streamline and should not be used. And in my case I do find that I have some strong disagreements about some ideas in the DIR mind set. But again, thats just me.

lackingcreativity:
I really do agree with your statement about tunnel vision. The whole GUE website to me seems to be filled with propaganda trying to get people to buy Halcyon gear. I can remember one passage on BCs and it basically said OMS, diverite, and other top manufactuers bc's aren't as streamline and should not be used. And in my case I do find that I have some strong disagreements about some ideas in the DIR mind set. But again, thats just me.
What you don't think OMS or dive rite say they are the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom