Halcyon Infinity good choice BP ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they probably won't come O2 cleaned since you can't legally ship cylinders pressurized. The Asahi tanks are also not the most highly recommended tanks in the world because they are so heavy. You may want to check craigslist
Correct, after shipping you will need O2 cleaning if you need Nitrox in it.
What do you mean HEAVY ? Below from specification:
WORTHINGTON X7-100 : Weight - "33.1" lbs, Buoyancy *EMPTY - "-2.5" lbs
Faber (Blue Steel) FX100DVB : Weight - "34.3" lbs, Buoyancy *EMPTY - "-0.59" lbs
Asahi HP100: Weight - "36.4" lbs, Buoyancy *EMPTY - "-5.2" lbs
So with Asahi you total weight on beach will be 0.6 lb higher (36.4 - 33.1 - (5.2 - 2.5)) than with WORTHINGTON, but 3.69 lb low than Faber (36.4 - 34.3 - (5.2 + 0.59)).
WORTHINGTON steel is not imported any more to USA, so if he looking for new tank - Asahi much better.
P.S. You can order it directly from houseofscuba.
comes out to $650 shipped
$799 and you have new Halcyon Eclipse

What do you mean HEAVY ? Below from specification:
WORTHINGTON X7-100 : Weight - "33.1" lbs, Buoyancy *EMPTY - "-2.5" lbs
Faber (Blue Steel) FX100DVB : Weight - "34.3" lbs, Buoyancy *EMPTY - "-0.59" lbs
Asahi HP100: Weight - "36.4" lbs, Buoyancy *EMPTY - "-5.2" lbs
So with Asahi you total weight on beach will be 0.6 lb higher (36.4 - 33.1 - (5.2 - 2.5)) than with WORTHINGTON, but 3.69 lb low than Faber (36.4 - 34.3 - (5.2 + 0.59)).
WORTHINGTON steel is not imported any more to USA, so if he looking for new tank - Asahi much better.
P.S. You can order it directly from houseofscuba.

$799 and you have new Halcyon Eclipse

Heavy or not depends on choice of multiple piece of gears. OP is look to get AL Plate (-2) STA(-2) Asahi HP100 (-6lb). He is diving in warm water with 3mm suit. I think these combination is on the heavy site.

Is the STA really necessary in this case?
BTW, my DR STA only weights around 300g(10oz).

I think most are mis lead by the statement of " warm water diving "

i dive in summer in. 3/2 wetsuit. Simply because the temp outside maybe 93, surface temp maybe 80 on the water, but at depth 60' down water temps in the summer could be In the 60's to Low 70's

if I were diving in the keys, in 30' water on the reefs, they stay in the low to mid 80's the temps down their on the shallow reefs, in which I would agree, that would be a heavy set up for keys shallow diving

Im im going to order something today, I'm about to call dive rite now :)

the asahi tanks are very heavy in the water. -5.2lbs empty is quite a lot to contend with, especially if his other HP100 is not an asahi, he now has two very different tanks and will be diving overweighted with the asahi. If you're doing 7mm farmerjohn or drysuit singles diving sure, go for it, but if you're doing light exposure protection, that is a lot of excess ballast. the craigslist tanks would be a much better option and the old PST tanks are some of the highest quality tanks out there.

I just got off the phone with Jeffery at DGX. I ordered the DR BP/W package for singles. I ordered the SS lite backplate, weight pockets comes with it. It comes with the Voyager wing, I put a request in to use the Hollis wing instead, their going to let me know, otherwise I told them the Voyger was fine

they said it will ship tomorrow and I'll have it Friday !

Even though I bought one tank yesturday, I ordered 2 new. Faber HP100 steel tanks, that come O2 clean he said. With Nitrox sticker and fis for $389 shipped each. I'll CL the tank I bought yesturday, so now I'll have matching tanks

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 12:58 PM ----------

I was going to go with 2 steel 80's , but he made a good point, the 80 actually ends heavier then the 100 towards the tank being empty near the end of the dive. The steel 100's actually are more buoyant at the end then a 80 buy more then a pound , interesting, see below

Cylinder Service
Pressure
(psi) Diameter
(inches) Height
(inches) Weight
Empty
(pounds) Buoyancy
Full : Empty
(pounds)
F7 Steel HP80 3442 7.24 20.9 28.6 - 8.1 : - 1.7
F7 Steel HP100 3442 7.24 25.4 34.3 - 8.4 : - 0.6
F7 Steel HP120 3442 7.24 29.3 39.2 - 8.8 : - 0.7
F8 Steel HP117 3442 8.02 24.2 38.9 - 9.1 : - 0.2
F8 Steel HP133 3442 8.02 26.8 42.7 - 9.1 : - 1.5
Comparison Only - Aluminum 80 3000 7.25 26.1 31.9 - 1.8 : + 3.2

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 01:16 PM ----------

DGX shot down the Hollis wing, which is fine for a little over $550 I got their complete package with STA , which I could always remove , deluxe harness, SS Lite BP, Voyager wing, 16 quick release pockets, dual cam bands, 1.5" Crotch strap with scooter ring allot for the money!

Im im looking at their Luxfer Alum 80's as well, maybe I'll have 4 tanks ready to go for different types of diving

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

OMG, I been driving poor Emily crazy over at DGX, lol, she's been great

ok, I cancelled the HP100's tanks, and ordered 2 Luxfer Alum 80's with DIN/Yoke valves

I also switched the wing to their Travel Wing, which is 25lb lift

So, the final order was :

2 new Luxfer Alum 80's tanks
DGX custom single tank combo, which is Deluxe Harness with shoulder pads, SS Lite BP, 25lb Travel wing, 16lb ditch able pockets, Crotch strap, STA, which I can remove if I don't like it with the travel wing

that it, and I'm sticking to it this time, lol.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2014 at 02:20 PM ----------

OMG, I been driving poor Emily crazy over at DGX, lol, she's been great

ok, I cancelled the HP100's tanks, and ordered 2 Luxfer Alum 80's with DIN/Yoke valves

I also switched the wing to their Travel Wing, which is 25lb lift

So, the final order was :

2 new Luxfer Alum 80's tanks
DGX custom single tank combo, which is Deluxe Harness with shoulder pads, SS Lite BP, 25lb Travel wing, 16lb ditch able pockets, Crotch strap, STA, which I can remove if I don't like it with the travel wing

that it, and I'm sticking to it this time, lol.

Thanks for posting your adventure in buying gear, I've learned a lot from it!

Thanks ! Me too ! I've read the pages over and over can't count how many times, lol

Listening to everyone say " That's a heavy set up for warm water diving " I had to get it through my thick head, lol

At the end, I switched to Alum 80's, SS Lite BP and a 25lb wing. I could have went with the SS BP, Since I went with 80's, but I still am going to buy a pair of single HP100's for deeper dives down the road

It's allot of stuff to buy to get back in the water

In the last week, I've bought a new BP/W combo, new regs, new mask, looking at fins now, still need to research a computer now, and the list goes on, lol

Did you say computer? One word: Petrel. :D

Ahhh Yes, It's arrived within 1 day from ordering from DGX ! Man I'm sooooooo Happy with this BP/W combo, what a deal!

Attachments

• 2014-08-28 21.37.10.jpg
    2014-08-28 21.37.10.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 2014-08-28 21.37.33.jpg
    2014-08-28 21.37.33.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 146

Back
Top Bottom