Halcyon Infinity good choice BP ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to order the BP/W today. I'm stuck right now. I may rent alum 80's fora bit, but as soon as I can find some steel. HP100's I'll buy some.

90% of the time! I'll be diving a 3mm wetsuit in FL on the 60' reefs

So I'm doing the math, a steel tank starts off -12 neg, and an alum 80 has a 8lb swing into positive

im also going to buy a 13cf pony and carry it all the time

my thoughts are 38lb wing, but not sure on the Sta, some BP/W do better with one, some don't require a STA

i know that's only a. 2lb difference, but now the big question. Use a SS backplate , possibly a STA, or use a Alum backplate.

My thoughts are I could always add weight, but last thing I want to be is so neg I can't swim the rig up in an event of a failure

im looking at buying the pcs independent , I like the Scuba Pro Tech with all the padding and d-rings, then buying a wing of choice, adding a crotch strap and STA if nessary

I do want something like the H webbing, so it's not so stiff, but I'd like to add the shoulder straps, but I'm not sure yet. I know not having them underwater doesn't make a difference

i do like a BP/W to feel tight, I don't like any slop at all underwater

II like the Scuba Pro Tech with all the padding and d-rings, then buying a wing of choice, adding a crotch strap and STA if nessary...

And I'm done here.

does that mean you like it?

Absolutely. In fact, I think it's so great you should purchase one this minute, and if you have to pay full SP price for it, that's probably still a good cost/value exchange. Happy diving :D

Reactions: fbk
Ok, ok, they look so comfy, lol

i just found a H set up under the classifieds brand new, for a Alum. BP and webbing

i also found this on Ebay :

Halcyon Eclipse 40lbs Lift BP Wing | eBay

---------- Post added August 24th, 2014 at 08:05 PM ----------

Just out of curiosity, how about Hollis wings? Looks like DGX has the solo for. $499 with a STA and 38lb wing

im tossed, I'm around $500 , DSS doesn't use a STA, I looked back at my log book, and the Infinity had a STA I was diving. , everyone didn't like the Transplate, DRIS is out of stock, so I'm looking at Halcyon Eclipse or maybe Hollis ?

Not apple to apple comparison. Halcyon Eclipse is $800. For DR to be equivalent, it will be:
DR tranplate package: $525
Standard plate: $25
XT wing: $100
Backpad: $10

Total $660. If yo consider STA, then it becomes $690. Still cheaper than Halcyon, but much smaller differences. Some may said you dont need STA, some prefer it. You choice.

Persoanlly, I won't go with Transplate at all since you are considering Eclipse which doesn't have the quick adjustment anyway. It cost is issue, I would go with basic DR plate, XT wing, but get your own harness from DGX, webbing and hardware instead. The DR basic harness which I have used totally use the wrong webbing for the job: way too soft/sloppy for shoulder harness and way way to stiff for crotch strap.

The $525 kit includes all that stuff other than the $10 backpad. Are you saying you'd need two plates and wings to make it equivalent to the Eclipse?

The doubles kit has a doubles wing, and no straps or sta for the same price.

• Harness: Dive Rite TransPlate in choice of sizes
  • Crotch Strap: Choice of { 1 in | 2.5 cm }, { 1.5 in | 3.8 cm }, or { 2 in | 5.1 cm }
  • Aircell: choice of Dive Rite EXP or XT Armored wings w/assembly screws
  • Weight Pockets: choice of Dive Rite 8-lb, 16-lb or 32-lb (3.6, 7.5 or 14.5 kg)
  • Backplate: choice of Dive Rite XT Lite S/S or XT Standard S/S
  • Single Tank Straps (2): w/ DGX stainless steel cam buckles
  • Single Tank Adapter: Optional, not required for singles

I loved my transplate and rec exp setup for a while. No experience with other brand bp/w setups. I was under they impression there were only minor differences in brands.

If I had to do it again I'd probably just get the stuff seperately and assemble. You should be able to find a variety of plates for $100 or less. Webbing kits with hardware go for around $40 (DRIS) and hollis wings can be had for around $100 still at diveaddicts. You'll probably have to spend another $50 or so for an STA/tank straps if you're diving singles.

I'm strongly looking at Hollis, but their wing sizes are a little off. They have a 25lb wing and a 38lb wing I'm looking at on DGX right now

the 25lb wing with a steel. HP100, and SS backplate with a STA may be cutting it close in sloppy conditions on top I'm thinking . I'm reading up on Hollis now seemed to have great reviews on their wings.

theirs allot of opinions on this very top I'm reading all the pages right now here on SB

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ght-systems/485368-hollis-25lb-38lb-wing.html

25lbs is tight but doable. 10lbs of plate and stuff *with STA*, 10lbs of tank+first stage, 3lbs for the 13cf pony, all offset by buoyancy of you and your wetsuit. It's cutting it close, but it's possible. The 38lb wing is a bit large, but if you're planning on steel later, you might need it.

If you call DRiS they should have the wings back in stock at the end of the week and could likely get you one of those setups out the door very quickly, it's worth the call up there.

Back
Top Bottom