Halcyon Infinity good choice BP ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought one HP steel 100 today, going to buy another this week

i bought the regs in dIN, so I'll be diving HP100 steel tanks . Just bought them sooner then later

I'll probably order a BP/W with an alum backplate. Between the STA, HP 100 tank, 13cf pony, and 2lb for regs, even with an alum BP, at the start of a dive I'll be negative 20 pounds

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 01:09 PM ----------

I'm pretty much out of DRIS, DSS at this point, I've narrowed it down to Hollis, Divertite, , they are $650 in the cart with the options I added, or Halcyon at $800 for the Eclipse

So I'm doing the math, a steel tank starts off -12 neg, and an alum 80 has a 8lb swing into positive

Your number is way off here. HP steel like Worthington X7-100, is -2lb empty, about -10 full. AL80 is +4lb empty and -2lb full. Air is about 0.08lb/CF in whatever tanks. The swing between empty and full depend only on the size of the tank and gas

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 11:54 AM ----------

I'll probably order a BP/W with an alum backplate. Between the STA, HP 100 tank, 13cf pony, and 2lb for regs, even with an alum BP, at the start of a dive I'll be negative 20 pounds

If you weight yourself properly, you should be over weighted by about the weight of your gas. AL100 + AL13 = 113CF, about -9lb. Depend on your planning, if you think you can lose the pony at any point of your dive, you add the weight of AL13 empty (~-1.5lb). So you should be no more than say about 11lb negative with all tanks full.

As was said above, on the start of the dive you should be over weighted by about the weight of your gas (+ maybe 2 lb, which most people add). So, if you already little bit over weighted with AL80 without any weights in the pockets, move to steel HP100 will be not good idea, even that it will give you more gas.

I bought a Din Regulator to go with HP100 Steel Tanks

I just bought a steel HP100

The steel tanks start off neg -12 , alum backplate and regs is another -4 , STA -2, 13cf pony -2, , so that's -21 lbs right off the bat, not including any more gear

I don't like using Din to Yoke conversions, so I went all Din on tanks and regs

the steel tanks don't start off that negative, where did you read that number? If they are PST 3500psi 100's, they are 8.8lbs full with valve, e7-100 3442's, 8.5lbs negative, and if they are Worthingtons then they are -10. You didn't state which one it is, but either way you're not -12, that number is reserved for the idiotic mid-pressure tanks, and cave filled LP steels. -12 could be with a first stage on there, but that is only on the worthington 100's, closer to -10/10.5 on the PST's.

You need two situations for calculating ballast. Empty tank pressure for weight belt lead, and full tank pressures for wing size.

Full
HP100-10lbs
ali plate-2lbs
STA-2lbs
SS cam bands-2lbs
AL13-2lbs
regs-4lbs

20lbs there so that's your full requirements for the wing, so a 28lb wing is fine

Now knock off weight of air. 2.5lbs for the AL13, and 7.5lbs for the HP100 and you're at a total system weight of -10lbs total ballast which is your offset weight for the system. I wouldn't count the AL13 for your weighting requirements even though you'll be carrying it all the time, but conveniently the system is essentially neutral with 1.7lbs positive on the empty tank and about the same for a first stage.

What options did you put in for the kits? DGX has a diverite system with their new XT Lite SS plate, which is really nice actually, a voyager wing, STA with cam bands for less than $500.... You don't need the armored wings, they're nice, but unless you're squeezing through wrecks or caves you'll find that the superfabric is excessive and probably not worth the extra $100
https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml

Thanks ! You guys a great! Sorry, it's been a few years out of the water, allot to remember

Here's the tanks I was looking at, seems like a great deal at $300 shipped , but I need to make sure they come 02 cleaned

Asahi Scuba Diving HP 100 CU ft Steel Tank Air Cylinder Valve Boot 3442 PSI | eBay

Let me go check the DGX system out, I was on their site all weekend

Thanks, I just picked up one of CL today , XS100 for $250 , I just need one more

im on DGX website now, adding in the cart the Hollis and DR seeing what they come up as

if you can swing the extra $100, the pair of genesis hp100's is a good pair, especially since if you get into doubles you'll have a matched set of tanks

Yeh, I picked up one HP100 today, looking for another. Right now it's costing over $2k for just the basics to get back into the hobby, I still need a computer, mask, fins, etc

The Voyager is a 35lb wing, I really like the Hollis also , it's a $100 bucks more, comes out to $650 shipped because I live In FL have to pax tax

The hollis has a 38lb wing, vs the DR 35lb wing

what do you think?

im also in Melbourne, east coast FL, those steel tanks are about a 3 hour drive each way :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom