Hammerhead BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering buying a SS Hammerhead BP. Any input whether I should get the built in handle or not. Any other thoughts about this brand?

I got it with the handle. In terms of practicality I don't think it adds or detracts anything. I just thought the handles looked cool. The handles haven't bothered me with anything. I do grab the plate by the handles whenever I take it off the tanks. But I could just as easily grab it any other way. In my opinion, you can't go wrong, one way or the other. They are great plates.

Love my hammerhead without handles.

I have both the al and ss. Can't go wrong. Mine don't have the handles and really don't miss or need them. Just have to soften the edges a bit. Took ten minutes with a file. Also have both single tank adapters. Heavy just like I like it.

Any problems with fit? Do you dive singles or doubles with this plate? I am looking at singles; am 6'0" tall. I will put a 40lb Oxycheq Mach V extreme on it. What do you think?

I have both the al and ss. Can't go wrong. Mine don't have the handles and really don't miss or need them. Just have to soften the edges a bit. Took ten minutes with a file. Also have both single tank adapters. Heavy just like I like it.
When did you get your plate? I got mine almost 2 yrs ago and the edges came well deburred and machine softened. Outer edges just as well as hole inner edges. Could it be that they refined their fabrication process...?

Any problems with fit? Do you dive singles or doubles with this plate? I am looking at singles; am 6'0" tall. I will put a 40lb Oxycheq Mach V extreme on it. What do you think?
No problems whatsoever. I dive it mostly with doubles, but I have dove it with singles without a single tank adapter and it's been perfectly fine.

I am 6', 200 lbs, the al fits me great and i assume it's the same cut and bends as the stainless. I use it with singles with a 40lb wing, Dive Rite though. I like the 2 piece sta and everything fits together better using them but I can't use them bc they are too heavy for me. I usually dive without a wetsuit but even with a 3 mil shorty it's just too much weight for me. With that being said, everything works fine and is very stable without the sta I just liked them bc they make it easier to switch tanks / line everything up. Oh, mine doesnt have a handle but that sounds cool, i didnt know that was an option. Hope this helps...

I have one that I use for doubles and singles. Both of my wings are oxycheq. While I believe the handles are unnecessary, I have found that I use them because they are there. They pose no problems.

For singles diving, I have a two piece sta. The plate has cam slots so you could go without.

My only modification has been to drill an oval hole in the bottom bolt on area to compensate for doubles bolts that are not exactly 11" apart.

I use the stainless all the time for both singles and doubles. I have oxycheq wings. 45 single and 55 for doubles. I just check the single tank adapter. This is what I deburred not the plate. I course I did scotch bright everythinig to give it that dull used look.

Having a handle might change the weight characteristics a bit.
That might seem like a moot point to most here but diving in SE Fla, that 1/2 to 1 pound might make all the difference in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom