Hampton Roads Dive Shops - Let's hear it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think both Dive Quarters and LDC have their pros and cons, however, I think they are both reletively high on their prices vs. what you can find on LP. I have gone on the LDC dive charter but haven't been with Dive Quarters, (didn't even know they offered it). Does anyone know of any other charters or anyone with a boat that would go out? Even if everyone was to chip in for fuel, it would beat the $60-$100 per person. Thoughts?

OK lets not turn this into a LDC vs on-line kind of discussion, this is about Local dive shops.
Of course you can get it on line cheaper right off the bat, but if you gave the local guys a chance you would find that they can come darn close to that price with shipping that you will pay.
I like being able to try it on & most of the time jump into the pool & give it a whirl before the charge hits my CC.
While diving from someones personal boat might be a tad cheaper, most don't have 2 engines & believe me a marine engine can & will fail, luckily for me when that has happened they had a 2nd one to limp back in on. Plus what if someone has a problem, does the owner have the medical knowledge to help, how about the equipment? I guess if the tower is the object of the dive it might not be too bad, but the Morgan or Chenago could prove to be a little different.
Not trying to bust your ba!!s, just giving a different view on things.

Thanks for the heads up Drewski... just left the shop, seems like a real good guy, he check'ed out 2 regs for me no charge, said there good "if you want them twicked after you use them then I'll charge you". Worth checking out, I'll go back!!

I'm originally from Newport News, moved to DC Area, where I took up diving. What's the diving like at Va Bch? any good wrecks that are penetratable?

thx

Diving in Va. Beach is pretty good, there are several good wrecks to dive, although penetration opportunities are pretty limited.
I know of someone who dove the Kurn, which is split in 2 & said that the bow is upside down & he went through it.
Most are really considered a swim through. Like the Webster & I believe the Clark also.
The most likely will be the Cuyahoga. You can go in at the bow & come out in the stern, but I haven't explored it that much.
All these sit in 100+ fsw.

I found a new shop Newport News, they sell aries,cochran,sea life camera and some tech equipment.small shop and good prices. called deep dream diving

don't feel bad, I don't shop there anymore and never will. I spent a pretty good chunk of change there, what a big mistake. Been over charged and treated like.....I don't even want to get started, they are not the only shop on this side of the bridge, I have been going to Deep Dream Diving and they have a pretty decent selection, not a very large shop but very nice staff and awsome price. They carry AERIS, Cochron dive Computers,SeaLife camera,H2Odessy,DeepSea and alot of other brand, I believe he just started carrying OMS as well. I do know they have the best price for Scuba Lesson, one price includes everything, and I do mean everything. The owners name is Frank, really nice guy pretty experienced and qualified instructor. Yeah, not had the best of experiences with Underwater Adventures.

Last edited:
I believe the owner of Deep Dream Diving, was one of the original owners of Wreck Master Divers. I'm not exactly sure what happened with Wreck Masters, but I know he is back in business in Newport News.

I've used Underwater Advantures and Lynnhaven Dive Center to do annaul service on my regs and BCDs. Both did a good job, however the turn-around time at LDC was super-quick. Only took 3 days. It may have been the timing was just right, but I do believe LDC service was much better all-around. I contacted the service tech via email before I took my gear in to see how backed up he was. He said he could do the service within a week, so I brought the gear in. As I said, it only took 3 days. He emailed me back when the gear was ready, and I picked it up the next day. So, the service itself, quick work, and great communication make LDC my first choice for all future gear servicing. Visit their website to get the service tech's email address, and go from there. BTW, my gear is 2 SP MK25/G250HP regs and 2 Seaquest BCDs w/ Airsource (mine and wife's). Service price was the going rate, no gouging, and parts under warranty.

Center to do annaul service on my regs and BCDs. Both did a good job, however the turn-around time at LDC was super-quick. Only took 3 days. It may have been the timing was just right, but I do believe LDC service was much better

I had the same experience! They said "Oh it might take X amount of time" but really it was serviced really fast. They gave themselves a little time in the quote!

LDC doesn't service all brands, so I ended up carrying my Zeagle regulators to DQ. While I was there, I decided to sign up for the PADI AOW course, since that is who my original training was through. I was disappointed. The instructor didn't even show up for the 2nd half of the class, it ended up free time in the pool. That's cool, but there was a decent cost for the course which resulted in basically little effort on the shop's part.

I am planning to check out Deep Dream Diving as they may be offering a course that no other local shop does. It's a haul for me from Norfolk, but quite a bit closer than Va Scuba in Northern Virginia.

I originally got certified and used at Wreck Masters, and still to this day when I get service done at other shops it seems a little bit of a let down. When Wreck Masters would do a regulator service, when they returned it there was a card or something stapled to the regulator hose that had the old parts in a bag stapled to it. It was a clear sign that everything that was supposed to be replaced was replaced. I know they always had a Zeagle name on the bag with the part #, so it was also an in-your-face message that the proper parts were used. That is just one thing I noticed about them versus the other shop I've had service my stuff.

My understanding is that more than one person owned or were partners in Wreck Masters, and that one of the guys (who I actually remember) started Deep Dream Diving.

Back
Top Bottom