Harness on aluminum backplate..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys and gals, I have a ss dss rig and was going to get an aluminum bp. DSS has those nifty rubber gromets for the straps. Do you need keepers on the harness to keep straps in place at the waist and if so how do you place them on the aluminum bp that is? Or no keepers. Thanks for the help. kk

If you don't have the grommet, you use a triglide on the webbing. You pass it through the first slot at the waist, put the triglide on, then pass it back through the second slot.

Or you buy Tobin's Kydex plate, which I believe has the grommets!

Thanks TSandM, I was trying to save a little cash. I like the kydex plate but the aluminum is half the price and I just spent a small fortune outfitting 3 divers in my house with everything they needed-all from the local dive shop excepting my DSS rig. But we will see. I was going to order a hog harness from DSS anyway.. We will see. Thanks, kk

TSandM:
If you don't have the grommet, you use a triglide on the webbing. You pass it through the first slot at the waist, put the triglide on, then pass it back through the second slot.

Or you buy Tobin's Kydex plate, which I believe has the grommets!

Actually the Hybrid Kydex / Stainless plate does not have the corner harness grommets. The Stainless reinforcements are oversized just a bit so the webbing bears on the kydex, not the stainless. The kydex is fairly easy to radius so the webbing encounters no sharp edges.

Tobin

Kevin K:
Thanks TSandM, I was trying to save a little cash. I like the kydex plate but the aluminum is half the price and I just spent a small fortune outfitting 3 divers in my house with everything they needed-all from the local dive shop excepting my DSS rig. But we will see. I was going to order a hog harness from DSS anyway.. We will see. Thanks, kk

Kevin,

You might want to check and see if the Al plate you are considering has camband slots in the same location as your SS plate, otherwise you may need a STA. Buying a STA will likely cancel any savings.

If you choose to order a Hogathian Kit from us, please advise that it will be used on a non-DSS plate, and that you need two additional serrated keepers.

Tobin

Tobin, what is a single tank adapter, what does it do? thanks kk

OK,I see how the Oxycheq sta works. but I do not need one with my DSS rig-Why? Cause of that rubber mount that came with the DSS plate? Or because of the way the DSS plate is made? Thanks, kk

Kevin K:
OK,I see how the Oxycheq sta works. but I do not need one with my DSS rig-Why? Cause of that rubber mount that came with the DSS plate? Or because of the way the DSS plate is made? Thanks, kk

Kevin,

There are two basic ways to mount a single tank to a back plate; Direct, or using a STA.

With Direct mounting the cambands pass through the wing, and the plate and of course around the tank. That's how our system works. Fewer parts, lower profile, quick and easy removal of the wing from the plate. Our gear was designed to optomize direct mounting.

With a STA the cambands pass through the STA, and go around the tank. They do not pass through the plate or wing. STA's allow use of plates without camband slots, or combinations where the slots in the wing do not match the slots in plate.

There is no standard for the spacing of the slots in either the wings or plates.

If you want to direct mount a Tank using wings and plates from different sources you need to verify the slots line up.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom