Has anyone ever? Reasons for DIR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So this "nickel rocket" term being slung around here, anyone give me a definition? The search function wasn't very helpful in giving an exact definition...except that it gets used in this forum...and I can see that.

i've had a lot of discussions lately about using rebreathers on wrecks around here and "deviating from the path" was not brought up a single time... we really wouldn't care about DIR the moment that it started not working for the diving around here... we would become one of the fallen heathen like barney/heather/AUE... the difficulty that we have is that we basically agree with the DIR position. i don't want to be constantly watching my ppO2 all the time, i don't want anxiety as my first indication that something is horribly wrong and i'm going to go unconscious in a minute (and those are safety tips for CCRs picked up from someone who is very pro-CCR). i don't agree with GUE's position because i want to be DIR, but i dive DIR because i agree with GUE's position.

People might find this a bit interesting:

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22849

One persons reasoning on why they decided to go CCR.

I'm looking at this as a potential DIR CCR (a Classic KISS with manifolded drive/diluent gas), that is somewhat similar in scope to the best practices of GUE and the use of the RB80 SCR. . .

So this "nickel rocket" term being slung around here, anyone give me a definition? The search function wasn't very helpful in giving an exact definition...except that it gets used in this forum...and I can see that.
My guess is that it's not meant as a compliment.

That's another thing that's always bothered me about the DIR culture ... the constant creation of terminology for the sole purpose of put-downs. It's probably the biggest source of hard feelings between the DIR and non-DIR community of divers ... and counterproductive, to my concern.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"Nickel Rocket" is a pejorative term for a person who consistantly takes the cheap way out. IE: Someone who dives air for a dive when trimix would be the appropriate gas because they can't afford the correct gas choice.

"Nickel Rocket" is a pejorative term for a person who consistantly takes the cheap way out. IE: Someone who dives air for a dive when trimix would be the appropriate gas because they can't afford the correct gas choice.

ROFLMAO! I can't even begin to comment on this...

BTW, How was the birthday dear? Get any cool diving toys? :wink:

I was diving with BC for some time. A friend let me try his backplate one day - I did not dive again until I had my own plate. That was step 1. After the backplate I started to read about tech and wanted to try doubles. Another friend introduced me to doubles diving and, luckily, he was into the DIR way. After using a BC and the previous reg config with the octo this all made sense. So I reconfigured my singles to support the long hose and took the fundies course and passed it first time. Will eventually do Tech1 when I have time but the guys I dive with are DIR so I learn a lot as I go along.

I was diving with BC for some time. A friend let me try his backplate one day - I did not dive again until I had my own plate. That was step 1. After the backplate I started to read about tech and wanted to try doubles. Another friend introduced me to doubles diving and, luckily, he was into the DIR way. After using a BC and the previous reg config with the octo this all made sense. So I reconfigured my singles to support the long hose and took the fundies course and passed it first time. Will eventually do Tech1 when I have time but the guys I dive with are DIR so I learn a lot as I go along.

Good mentors are alway valuable no matter what style of diving you prefer. Good luck with your learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom