Has Delta Airlines really rescinded their policy of adding fees for scuba equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This post was a bit lost in the previous thread ranting about the unfairness of Delta's policy, so I'm breaking it out.

In the current issue of Faceplate (Spring 2003), the "Ohio Council for Skin and Scuba Divers" newsletter, it stated that a letter writing campaign had been influential in getting Delta to re-write their fee policy regarding scuba equipment. No longer would there be an $80 charge (even though it hadn't been applied consistently) for equipment. It does however state that the weight limit was lowered to 50lbs for all packages.

Any confirmation of this new information?

tx, Bob

I can't confirm, but I read through the stuff before flying down to Fort Lauderdale last week. It seemed to appear that the fee was only for scuba tanks, not just gear.

Oh, and one lesson that Chad learned on the way back. Put your light back on the scale first, then your heavy one, if you have one that's over 50 lbs. He did it right on the way down, messed up on the way back and had to pay the extra fee! :wink:

I'm flying Delta in September and called them to get the scoop on gear transportation. Tanks will always incur an extra charge. Other than that, scuba is treated like any other baggage, 70# limit. If you call them, they WILL recite a litany of all the specific items that you may check at baggage -- all the standard stuff, including knives and spearguns.

fyi, I called Air Jamaica and it was essentially the same deal.

walt williams once bubbled...
I'm flying Delta in September and called them to get the scoop on gear transportation. Tanks will always incur an extra charge. Other than that, scuba is treated like any other baggage, 70# limit. If you call them, they WILL recite a litany of all the specific items that you may check at baggage -- all the standard stuff, including knives and spearguns.

fyi, I called Air Jamaica and it was essentially the same deal.

Did they elaborate that the 70# limit only applies to international flights?? The limit for domestic is 50#.
http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_serv/bag_info/carry_on/index.jsp#limits

deepstops --

Good point, and I read the policy your link took me to. From my recollection and notes of the conversation with Delta, I was expecting 70#, but now I'm not so sure. I would guess that int'l rules would apply if you're flying from somewhere in the States with final destination outside USA.

Guess it's worth another call.

I flew to WPB recently and you can still check two bags at 50 pounds each. You can still carry on one bag and a purse/laptop in addition to the carry on bag.

I pack all my essential scuba in my carry on and ship the rest as baggage. Outside of tanks, you should easily be able to take everything you will or may need even with these limits. The secret is to pack carefully so that no one bag is over 50 pounds. I had one bag over the limit and the gate agent in Philly offered to help me repack items from it to a lighter bag.

I fly a lot of airlines but Delta has treated me the best over the long haul.

BILLB once bubbled...
I flew to WPB recently and you can still check two bags at 50 pounds each. You can still carry on one bag and a purse/laptop in addition to the carry on bag.

I pack all my essential scuba in my carry on and ship the rest as baggage. Outside of tanks, you should easily be able to take everything you will or may need even with these limits. The secret is to pack carefully so that no one bag is over 50 pounds. I had one bag over the limit and the gate agent in Philly offered to help me repack items from it to a lighter bag.

I fly a lot of airlines but Delta has treated me the best over the long haul.

I fly Continental quite a bit and have never had a problem. The worst so far was Virgin Atlantic and their 6kg carry-on allowance.

BTW, Delta and CoAir just became FF miles partners!!!

I have been flying Delta quite a bit lately and have only had them ask me 1 time if I had scuba gear in my bags, which I promptly told them no. I told them I only had a wetsuit, masks, fins and BC and they said OK and didn't charge me extra.

However, my other bag was 62# so they nailed me an extra $25 for it being over the limit. That will never happen again. :wink:

I just returned from Bonaire, flying Delta. There was no extra charge for dive equipment (no tank just gear) and the international weight limit is #70 with the domestic being #50.
I watched several people get nailed for being just a pound or two over, they are really watching the weights when flying out of the US. However they did not even weigh the bags in Bonaire.

PM

I get a lot of slack from Delta, but when I asked the res agent to read me rules over the phone:
(1) I was surprised to learn that a Pony bottle does not have to be breached, and can even have up to 40# of pressure. To be safe, I'll pack it without pressure, and I'll be prepared to take the valve off if requested.
(2) They have gone to 50# limits domestic, 70# international, like most carriers, but they may be more generous with me because of my FF Status?
(3) They do have a $80 surcharge for "scuba tanks," but it seems that if the "tank" is inside a bag, no surcharge? It may depend on the agent at the time; often does.

I connect from Sol Air to American Air - with whom I have no real FF status - with one bag at 50# and one at 55#, and they let me slide. I was surprised. I guess it just depends on the agent, what kind of mood he/she is in :upset: , how much over you are.

They say it's because of people getting hurt with 70# bags. I argue they're just after the money, as if they were really worried about people hurting backs with 70# bags, they wouldn't allow them at all. I'll be 56 in a couple of days, and I have no problem with a 70# bag. I just don't see it. The way the airlines are crying about finances, I expect them to get tougher on penalties in short time...

Back
Top Bottom