Have you been asked for your AOW Card or Log Book?

I have been asked for an AOW card or Log Book

• Rarely

Votes: 73 58.4%
  • Occationally

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Often

Votes: 24 19.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked as a DM in Queensland for six months and it was an absolute nessecity for each diver to show their card. On occasions I had to tell people the would either have to go as an "Intro" diver or not at all.

There are lots of outfits that only need to see your money. Don't dive with them. They are safe you are not. In most cases a law suit won't even go anywhere when it's outside your home country. I read of a case were a diver was lost. The charter didn't even report it. They hadn't taken any contact info and didn't even know who they lost. As an instructor I look at cards (per standards I must). I look at log books. Also, I evaluate skill level. If I feel the diver isn't ready for the class or the dive we don't do it. The card alone isn't enough. Having the training shouldn't be about being able to show a card. It should be about being able to survive and enjoy the dive. I a charter lets an OW diver with little deep diving experience do a deep dive the diver isn't getting away with anything. They are being put into danger and concenting to it. Im going to put a permenant message on my slate to show to divers who are in trouble where they don't belong. It will say "I'll come back for your equipment"

Not recently, but I remember having to show it when I first started. My favorite boats/shop know me now, I guess. Often, I see that the cert # is required on the waiver forms, so I have to take it out and write it down...

What, they are asking for logs now?

Hehe... honestly if they ask for the card no problem I carry it all the time in my wallet anyway. If they ask for logs that will be funny. I hardly ever logged my dives over past ten years. I've been diving all over the world and I have never been asked for logs just the card(s) occasionally. When I was in Hawaii I went diving probably 4 5 days a week after work/weekends. I spent so much time in the water I just got tired of constantly logging the things. But hey everyone is different. I guess I'll have to do a refresher dive? hehe... that will be funny. Well, anyway, I'm off to the lake. Someone said the fish are biting so I'm gonna put a worm on the end of my spear gun and see what bites. :)

Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman asked for it. They even made a copy for their records (as well as the credit card ...). Red Sail Sports asked as well. I guess it's the rule on Cayman.

But I think that was the first time I was asked for the card.

Ray

Belmont Hot Springs in Utah (a little 30 foot deep mud hole, but it is warm!) likes to see the Cert Card as does The Cavern (another hot spot but this one is very clear and nice) also in Utah. Guess I'm just lucy. Other places that I thought would ask haven't including a 30' training tank at an LDS that has no idea who I am.

once in 5yrs -- one shop (which I don't frequent any more for other reasons) did ask so they would fill my tanks.

In the past five years we have been to Cozumel, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Bequia, Grand Turk; each has asked forC-and Nitrox card, no log book however asked how many dives and when was last dive. All this was required information, as well as the medical info on the waiver, when we first checked in at the dive shop. In Bonaire (Buddy's)we were required to make an observed dive in front of the shop before they would allow us to dive with them, son't know what would happen if you failed the observed dive. Once in Cozumel, we had the local chamber/diving physican call the hotel to ask my wife some additional questions. She had put on her medical info that she used an inhalant for seasonal pollen. She only has to use it, so far, in the states in spring and fall. It's a good feeling to know the Dive Shop's and resident doctors are that safety concious. Sure, you can fib about the number of dives or the medical info, but who are you hurting? Only yourself and IMHO that is just plain stupid.

I've only have about thirty dives. I have been asked for a C-card every time. Sometimes my LDS doesn't ask for it when filling tanks -- they claim they recognize me :)

I have dived several Sandals resorts in the Caribbean with "all-inclusive" diving. They want to see a C-card, fill out a medical form, and want you to take a test in the pool and perhaps a refresher dive based upon what they see in your log book.

No log book with you? They pretty much require a pool session.

Carbon

Back
Top Bottom