Have you ever done anything on a dive that you KNEW you weren't supposed to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've made a couple decisions about going into overheads that were ill-conceived at the time. I've been around wrecks pretty much since I've been certified, but was never a big penetrator. When I got back into diving in 2009 I started getting presented with opportunities to explore swimthru's on ARs such as the Spiegel Groove and the many options off Ft Lauderdale.

I distinctly remember the first time I dove the swimthru's on the SG. My dive buddy was a friend, who also happened to be an instructor. We were diving AL80's. I had tried to get bigger tanks but they fell through at the last minute so it was AL80's or not dive. I figured if everyone else was ok with the AL80's, I should be too (now I wouldn't do the dive on a single AL80; then I was at least aware enough to realize it was inadvisable). (Decision 1)

Anyway, a third joined us as an instabuddy on the dive boat, he volunteered to show us the swimthru's bc he knew the boat. I was wary, but was advised that there were several "escape" hatches along the swimthru and we had nothing about which to be concerned. My buddy/friend was very reassuring. I decided if there were multiple avenues of exit then it would be ok. (Decision 2) Please understand - it had been almost a decade since since I had gotten certified with PADI - to be honest I don't even remember signing any statement about not going in an OH environment :D

Anyway, the third buddy went in, then my friend, when it was my turn, I could not see any "escape" routes and opted to wait on the outside. My friend ended up coming outside eventually and insisted I come the swimthru. Finally I followed her in. (Decision 3) Almost immediately after we started I did start to see the exits so I felt better but I should have stood my ground. What was going through my head was that although this was an OH environment if one stayed in the main swimthrus on the side, it should be just fine*

At the time, I was also feeling like I had to accommodate my friends wish to dive inside the wreck even though I wasn't sure I wanted to. Now, if it is something i don't feel is appropriate, I am not concerned about disappointing my buddy - if they don't understand, that is on them. Finally, I was very trustful that my friend, being an an instructor - had a good grasp on the level of difficulty of the dive.

Now, I dive in a team but I don't abdicate my personal responsibility. This dive had a lot to do with me looking for "something" different in terms of diving... I knew I made decisions I wasn't comfortable with - none of them large transgressions individually - but each with opportunity for issue and certainly together, with even greater opportunity for fecal matter to hit the oscillating device. I'm glad I had the experience bc it made me think about what I was doing.

*in fact, even since then, I've questioned the swimthroghs - are they OH? At this point I would say yes, then I would not have counted them as OH.

If action were limited to that for which one were trained, there would be no advancement.

I have always been rather conservative but I do like wreck penetration and have done a bit. My rule is never go two rooms deep unless you can see out. I also avoid silty places but then again I am good at not kicking stuff up. This limits my penetration to outer walls, but that's ok. Maybe one of these days I will get some formal training for wreck.

Early on, newly certified about 20 dives no advanced class me and two buddies dove La Jolla canyon. We hit @120, tunnel vision set in, up I went, I left my buddies, hit the surface totally glad to be there and did not deep dive past 60 for a very long time after that. thankfully my bad decisions had no lasting affect like we read about when new divers and not so new divers get in "over their head"

I have done a few solo dives shallow depths <10m in a lake I am very familiar with, however I do not have any redundant air source and have not been trained to do so, so probably shouldn't being doing this.

I have done a few solo dives shallow depths <10m in a lake I am very familiar with, however I do not have any redundant air source and have not been trained to do so, so probably shouldn't being doing this.

Well, now that you have done it, why do you think you should not continue to do it?

Do you see a problem with a CESA from 33 ft?

Well, now that you have done it, why do you think you should not continue to do it?

In all honesty I'm having a hard time seeing why I shouldn't, perhaps I need to give it some more thought.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

hmm...the only thing I can see potentially causing a problem was if I were to get tangled in the reeds but I am very careful to stay away from vegetation.

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Do you see a problem with a CESA from 33 ft?

No problem. Bottoms out at 8m.

The problem that I have with these threads is that it can be seen as encouraging this kind of behavior in newer divers

Funny, I see it the other way. I'm hoping that, if people describe the thought process they went through before doing something they knew they shouldn't, that new divers might recognize the same train of thought for what it is.

There will always be people who will just plain go do something stupid, without any attempt to convince themselves it's okay, simply because they aren't supposed to do it. You can't fix those people, although as an ER doc, it is all too often my job to try . . .

First open water dive after class. I still shake my head. Belize went down and after a few minutes dm wnt into a tunnel. Not big enough to turn around in, quite long. each of the other divers disappeared into the hole. I looked around, had no idea how to get back to the boat so I pulled out the little flash in my pocket and followed them. I was last in the hole. it was quite long and I had no idea where it would come out. I was just following the fins in front of me. We popped out at about 90 feet. Great first dive - holy shnikees. It was a LOOOONG tunnel. Had anything gone wrong, well just don't ask. I was an idiot. Fortunate to still be posting. So many things could have gone wrong I am amazed when I sat to list the errors. And I didn't know enough to be aware of most of them.

I almost always dive beyond my certification level but seldom beyond my experience level.

Back
Top Bottom