Headache in cold (and now warm!) water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

selytch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,
I'm a physician myself, but really need advice on this one.
For the past 10 years or so (I'm 30 and have been diving since 14) I have headache after diving and swimming.

The headache starts once I'm out of the water. It's throbbing, bi-temporal, without other symptoms, and goes away after 30-40 minutes - I have never taken any medicine for it.

At first the headache was bothering me only after diving in cold water - 16-18 degrees celsius (I guess 60's F...). I wore helmet and it helped a lot. The problem is that after a year of not being in a water I swam today for 2 minutes in a very warm water (high 70's) in Hawaii and got this bad headache!

Now, it's clearly not related to pressure, DCI, CO2/CO, tight mask. Maybe exertion - but I never get headache with other activities. Ear problem is also not likely since the pain is bilateral and my hearing is OK. I can drink cold water and eat ice-cream without any "brain freeze".

It leaves me with the only option I can think of - a migraine headache. It is strange that cold water precipitates it (usually people use cold water to relieve migraines), and I do not get headache in cold weather (or at any other time for that matters other than swimming/diving).

Has anybody experienced something similar, what can be done to prevent and treat this *$@( headaches?

G'day. I have had a similar problem in the past. I generally take a really hot shower immediately post-dive which seems to alleviate the symptoms. Don't know why, though.

Why wouldn't you think the headache is caused by CO2 retention?

If you are entertaining exertion as a possible cause it may still be CO2 buildup. What are your breathing patterns like? Slow, deep, or shallow, fast. If you're anything like me and spend some time out of the water for a year you would definitely see me be less physically fit to swim rigorously again - perhaps you were just working too hard too soon? If you were swimming freestyle you may also not have been getting enough air during the breath stroke. What happens when you turn on your back; i.e. face up so you can breathe normally, and just kick around the water for a while? Still get the headache?

I'd want to establish whether it is the water temperature or whether it is proper oxygenation (or lack thereof) that may be contributing to this. I'd be interested to hear what you find out, keep us posted. :coffee:

That was my first reaction too.

This was mine too, when i first began diving I sufferes with CO2 retention headaches.

Sorted my breathing out, now no more headaches

The problem is that after a year of not being in a water I swam today for 2 minutes in a very warm water (high 70's) in Hawaii and got this bad headache!

If you are entertaining exertion as a possible cause it may still be CO2 buildup.

In his/her latest incident, the OP mentioned getting a headache after "only" 2 minutes. Can enough CO2 build up in that time to be a problem? Could you simulate/trigger this by exerting on dry land while holding your breathe?

The headache starts once I'm out of the water. It's throbbing, bi-temporal, without other symptoms, and goes away after 30-40 minutes - I have never taken any medicine for it.

Orthostatic Hypotension Headache?

Maybe it has nothing to do with diving, and is caused by becoming vertical after being weightless.

Note that I'm not a doctor and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, however since everybody is guessing, I though I'd take a shot. :cool:

Terry

In his/her latest incident, the OP mentioned getting a headache after "only" 2 minutes. Can enough CO2 build up in that time to be a problem? Could you simulate/trigger this by exerting on dry land while holding your breathe?

I'm no doctor so I'd defer to a qualified medical professional on this. Two minutes is a long time if you are out of shape (assuming the OP was not exercising at all for the past year) - add to that the question of whether it felt like two minutes or was it more like 5 but in an attempt to state that it didn't take long for the symptoms to appear the OP posted 2. I also tended to overdo things a little when I started getting back into decent swimming shape recently trying to swim the same pace and regimes I used to in the past - even though I'm not in too bad shape fitness-wise I still I found my cardiovascular system was just not capable to meet that stress sufficiently so I would get those black spots in front of my eyes, feel light headed etc. So I had to take it easier for a bit and the problems disappeared.

Now if you consider dehydration on top of that, maybe take a caffeine drink for boosting your energy (or perhaps getting your courage up) before taking the swim, then sure I'd think one could have some pretty annoying headaches in a pretty short period of time. If diabetes is playing a roll then perhaps hyperglycemia could also play a roll. Whether the OP's symptoms are related to CO2 buildup or not - perhaps/perhaps not, but it certainly does seem to me to be the most likely option to start looking into and perhaps also the easiest to verify.

Of course I, as I think most of us here are, am just guessing at what the potential causes may be.:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom