Heart Rate monitor for Precise Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

************************ Mod Post *********************************

Lets knock it off.

This thread had some interesting ideas before it got sidetracked.

I'd like to read some more regarding them.

So, if anyone wants to get back on topic it would be nice...and it would stop me from having to close threads, boost guys out of the sandbox, etc.

There is room for disagreement in academia - this is why there are academic debates.

Lets leave the name calling at the door, however, and use citations (as has successfully been done above) to speak more loudly.

Thank you.

************************ Mod Post *********************************

Missed some of the thread, heavy slogging. But as far as having a heart rate monitor while diving- for me it would be a good idea. I wear a monitor while bike riding, why not with diving? I had some heart disease and was given a rate limit by my cardiologist. That was lifted but still have recommended limits on activity due to age. It would be interesting to know what my rate is and if the Galileo can graph heart rate during the dive and at various depths. The info would be interesting. Whether it makes a difference is doubtful but having more info would be interesting to me.

Free meal, as long as it's organic is always good.

Answer the questions: have you ever been around a NEUT Suit? Or any OMADS? Ever piloted a small ROV?

Fine "sea mom", I will help you understand this....I do not use Newt suits--I am a diver, and I was under the impression that Scubaboard was for posts about diving issues, not about submarines or newt suits.

So you don't understand why it would be foolish to explore natural wilderness areas like Wakulla with submarines.....First, there is the issue of not damaging the nature...when the WKPP team puts a dive on, they do nothing to destroy the area...the idea of building a huge platform and crane system to load submersibles into the pristine tunnel system is disgusting to most divers I know ( have your friends burned down any rain forests lately, in the name of progress?) ...

Then there would be the issue of damage to the pristine cave system from the tethers..and are you aware your tethered systems would need to be running in over 3 miles--do you believe the Newts are capable of over 3 mile horizontal penetrations? I had no idea they had the kind of thrust and speed that this would require, or that they could negotiate the restrictions involved...And should one get caught 2 miles or more in, or experience a thruster failure, how would you suggest it could be removed, in the remaining lifetime of it's occupant?

Have you ever seen video footage of Wakulla? This is a place for divers, not for mini-subs or newts. But I suppose with all that knowledge you have crammed in that head of yours, there is very little space left for new information..so don't worry about it, we forgive you :)
Dan V

Fine by me.

Newt Suit:
newtsuit_front.jpg

The Newt Suit, developed by the Canadian engineer Phil Nuytten. The Newt Suit is constructed to function like a 'submarine you can wear', allowing the diver to work at normal atmospheric pressure even at depths of over 300 metres. Made of cast aluminium, it has fully-articulated joints so the diver can move more easily underwater. The life-support system provides 6–8 hours of air, with an emergency back-up supply of an additional 48 hours

A shallower, graphite version is possible that would be marginally swimable and quite scooterable.

OMADS: One Man Atmospheric Diving System (e.g., Jim, Spyder, Mantis, Wasp, Newt Suit, Deep Rover) also know as "ADS" for Atmospheric Diving Suit (or System).

Fine "sea mom", I will help you understand this....I do not use Newt suits--I am a diver, and I was under the impression that Scubaboard was for posts about diving issues, not about submarines or newt suits.
Give it a rest, the only true "divers" are free divers.

So you don't understand why it would be foolish to explore natural wilderness areas like Wakulla with submarines.....First, there is the issue of not damaging the nature...when the WKPP team puts a dive on, they do nothing to destroy the area...the idea of building a huge platform and crane system to load submersibles into the pristine tunnel system is disgusting to most divers I know ( have your friends burned down any rain forests lately, in the name of progress?) ...
Shows you what you don't know. No platform or crane required.

Then there would be the issue of damage to the pristine cave system from the tethers..and are you aware your tethered systems would need to be running in over 3 miles--do you believe the Newts are capable of over 3 mile horizontal penetrations? I had no idea they had the kind of thrust and speed that this would require, or that they could negotiate the restrictions involved...And should one get caught 2 miles or more in, or experience a thruster failure, how would you suggest it could be removed, in the remaining lifetime of it's occupant?
Show's you what you don't know. A graphite or fiberglass Newt suit's cross section would be about the same (or a little less) than a diver with doubles and side mounts. 48 hrs. of self contained life support, no tether, used with a scooter rather than a backpack thruster. It'd do less damage than the nitrogen from your P-valves, the bubbles from your rig and your guide lines.

Have you ever seen video footage of Wakulla? This is a place for divers, not for mini-subs or newts. But I suppose with all that knowledge you have crammed in that head of yours, there is very little space left for new information..so don't worry about it, we forgive you :)
Dan V
Once again you're commenting on technology that you have demonstrated is outside of your ken. Stick to what you know. To tell the truth I've been to Wakulla and was taken diving in the cavern section. We also looked at the maps and operated an ROV there. I'd say that possibility of success was high enough that it was a vastly superior plan. Phil Nuytten and I discussed it a couple of times and, with neither of us doing an intensive analysis, he concurred.

Fine by me.

Newt Suit:
newtsuit_front.jpg

The Newt Suit, developed by the Canadian engineer Phil Nuytten. The Newt Suit is constructed to function like a 'submarine you can wear', allowing the diver to work at normal atmospheric pressure even at depths of over 300 metres. Made of cast aluminium, it has fully-articulated joints so the diver can move more easily underwater. The life-support system provides 6–8 hours of air, with an emergency back-up supply of an additional 48 hours

A shallower, graphite version is possible that would be marginally swimable and quite scooterable.

OMADS: One Man Atmospheric Diving System (e.g., Jim, Spyder, Mantis, Wasp, Newt Suit, Deep Rover) also know as "ADS" for Atmospheric Diving Suit (or System).

Nice ad for then ADS...but you fail to mention how it could possibly handle a horizontal penetration of over 3 miles, through various restrictions, facing flow issues, and with the need to avoid colliding with the walls of the tunnels. How could you run a tether through this tunnel system, without severely damaging the pristine conditions WKPP has successfully protected for so many years of exploration....why would it suddenly be OK to create damage?

Nice ad for then ADS...but you fail to mention how it could possibly handle a horizontal penetration of over 3 miles, through various restrictions, facing flow issues, and with the need to avoid colliding with the walls of the tunnels. How could you run a tether through this tunnel system, without severely damaging the pristine conditions WKPP has successfully protected for so many years of exploration....why would it suddenly be OK to create damage?
Answered before you asked. It is considered advisable to read the thread prior to typing, especially when holding forth on a subject you know nothing about. We've not talking about taking the NR-1 in there.

Give it a rest, the only true "divers" are free divers.

Shows you what you don't know. No platform or crane required.

Show's you what you don't know. A graphite or fiberglass Newt suit's cross section would be about the same (or a little less) than a diver with doubles and side mounts. 48 hrs. of self contained life support, no tether, used with a scooter rather than a backpack thruster. It'd do less damage than the nitrogen from your P-valves, the bubbles from your rig and your guide lines.

Once again you're commenting on technology that you have demonstrated is outside of your ken. Stick to what you know. To tell the truth I've been to Wakulla and was taken diving in the cavern section. We also looked at the maps and operated an ROV there. I'd say that possibility of success was high enough that it was a vastly superior plan. Phil Nuytten and I discussed it a couple of times and, with neither of us doing an intensive analysis, he concurred.

Thal, I am glad you had the chance to dive in the cavern....let's just let this pissing contest go....I am here for enjoying diving, not to piss other people off, or get annoyed myself.

Later,
Dan

Thal, I am glad you had the chance to dive in the cavern....let's just let this pissing contest go....I am here for enjoying diving, not to piss other people off, or get annoyed myself.

Later,
Dan
There's no pissing contest, you disparaged Jolie Bookspan ("We had phone conversations with Jollie over 13 years ago..she does not get it ...") ... and that pissed me off. She's a dear friend and colleague who deserves an apology from you. There's no pissing contest, all I did was demonstrate that you are happy to let your mouth run where your body and brain have yet to go. I'd be happy to let it drop, but there is the matter of Jolie (at least show her the respect of spelling her name right for gods' sake.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom