Heart Rate monitor for Precise Decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's no pissing contest, you disparaged Jolie Bookspan ("We had phone conversations with Jollie over 13 years ago..she does not get it ...") ... and that pissed me off. She's a dear friend and colleague who deserves an apology from you. There's no pissing contest, all I did was demonstrate that you are happy to let your mouth run where your body and brain have yet to go. I'd be happy to let it drop, but there is the matter of Jolie (at least show her the respect of spelling her name right for gods' sake.)

I should apologize to Jolie for spelling her name incorrectly. I doubt we can come to a compromise on the comments Jolie made a decade or so ago on fitness and decompression, and how I am going to explain this...I have no interest in offending Jolie, and I know she has many accomplishments worthwhile bragging about :)

And still you are attempting to antagonize me...For the moment, I will try to convince myself that I should have respect for my elders, and that I should give some leeway to an early pioneer of diving such as yourself.

Dan V

I should apologize to Jolie for spelling her name incorrectly. I doubt we can come to a compromise on the comments Jolie made a decade or so ago on fitness and decompression, and how I am going to explain this...I have no interest in offending Jolie, and I know she has many accomplishments worthwhile bragging about :)

And still you are attempting to antagonize me...For the moment, I will try to convince myself that I should have respect for my elders, and that I should give some leeway to an early pioneer of diving such as yourself.

Dan V
Thank you, and I will try and give you same consideration and leeway, since its not really your fault, just the bad company you've fallen in with.:D

There is hope.

In point of fact, there is more that George and I agree about then that we differ on, especially concerning the current state of diver "education." Where we part ways in that George seems to think that there's only one way to skin a cat, where in fact there are many. I see nothing wrong with some group agreeing on just how they are going to skin all cats, as long as the recognize what it is they are doing and don't wash the roast cat down with koolaid.

BTW: I've never heard Jolie brag about anything.

I see nothing wrong with some group agreeing on just how they are going to skin all cats, as long as the recognize what it is they are doing and don't wash the roast cat down with koolaid.

But it's VINTAGE KoolAid :D Thal, you can mangle a metaphor with the best of them . . .

Thal, you can mangle a metaphor with the best of them . . .
I've buttered my bed and I'll lay in it, Dag Nabit.

Wow. Far afield now. I have to agree with Tha here Dan. WKPP folks do not post a lick of scientific evidence and make bucket loads of claims that cannot possibly be supported.

Simply because of a few limited observations does not good science make.

I say this because this board, for the most part, is for recreational divers. Someone reading yours or WKPP / GUE stuff may get the impression that they will become capable of something that they may very well not. It's dangerous and misleading especially in light of the significantly higher reported incidents of DCI due to people pushing the limits with little training and/or knowledge. Simply because you have supposedly done something does not make you an expert on diving physiology and to continue to dive in a certain manner without an adequate understanding of the physiological principles and modifications to your body is naive and reckless. Because you do it and no one else does is not an award of PhD or expert on your part. That type of "pioneering" is a relic of a not-so-up-to-it period and violates everything we should hold dear about ethics, responsibility, and safety.

That's my two bits. I am still interested in aerobic capacity and diving and have begun a new post here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-science-physiology/208277-diving-aerobic-capacity.html

cheers!

Wow. Far afield now. I have to agree with Tha here Dan. WKPP folks do not post a lick of scientific evidence and make bucket loads of claims that cannot possibly be supported.

Simply because of a few limited observations does not good science make.

I say this because this board, for the most part, is for recreational divers. Someone reading yours or WKPP / GUE stuff may get the impression that they will become capable of something that they may very well not. It's dangerous and misleading especially in light of the significantly higher reported incidents of DCI due to people pushing the limits with little training and/or knowledge. Simply because you have supposedly done something does not make you an expert on diving physiology and to continue to dive in a certain manner without an adequate understanding of the physiological principles and modifications to your body is naive and reckless. Because you do it and no one else does is not an award of PhD or expert on your part. That type of "pioneering" is a relic of a not-so-up-to-it period and violates everything we should hold dear about ethics, responsibility, and safety.

That's my two bits. I am still interested in aerobic capacity and diving and have begun a new post here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-science-physiology/208277-diving-aerobic-capacity.html

cheers!

Bob,
The tens of thousands of man hours involved in the development of WKPP tables, represents considerably more than you are crediting it...this and the population of over 100 divers....
And as Dr Bill Hamilton had a major role in the US Navy table, he also had a major role in the developement of the WKPP tables...
If you want to get on a high horse about safety--the "shame on you" stuff you just pushed on me in the last post..then start screaming at PADI, NAUI and the other major agencies, along with all the "agents of safety" such as yourself--for the shameful disregard for safety that ignoring PFO's in the general population of divers, represents.
For all practical purposes, you can figure about a quarter of all the people your preferred agencies take in each month, have PFO's...this far more irresponsible, than my discussing tables which were created in a population which was selected for no PFO and for reasonably high VO2 max...
Oh, and good job getting me interested in helping you in your continueing interest related to the topic you just highlighted.....I'll be in a huge rush to help :)
Dan

And....don't forget a huge part of the WKPP contribution in dive tables and deco, has to do with the method of ascending in a horizontal posture....I think Bill Mee wrote a good article on the reason hydrostatic lung loading made vertical posture ascending highly ineffective, for the lungs to filter out bubbles....this is a major contribution to all divers regardless of whether they are tech or recreational.
George , Bill nd I did a DIR 3 video, aimed squarely at recreational divers, and the GUE Fundies type classes are also related to showing how better skills can make recreational diving safer and more fun.

I did not get on this post thread to start yelling about how bad other agencies were, or how new divers should embrace technical diving...if you read back through early posts on this, it's more how you guys are pushing the dialogue--that is what is bringing the discussion into areas you are now concerned could be mis-applied by the dive masses...
Dan

Back
Top Bottom