Heavy legs affect trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is it that you like about the Bio fins? I find fins that sink my feet really annoying, and I can't imagine liking any piece of gear that forces me into a constant battle to overcome issues it introduces.
I didn't notice the sink my feet until now. I really like them cause the split eliminates muscle contraction, yet they are stiff enough (Got the XT version) that I can feel them when I kick and are quite fast.

BTW, where is your tank? Can you reach the valve, or is it too low?
My tank is positioned that the valve is at the same height as the top of the wing. Since I am not that flexible, after hard work I can reach the valve although I usually use my second hand to raise the tank before I try to reach it.

Are this fins good? They don't look anything like the Jets, F1, Turtle fins which are usually discussed and recommended on SB.

Last edited:
The Dive Rite fins are light, but stiff enough to do the kicks required for precise positioning and not kicking up the silt. They're popular in cave country. I like the OMS Slipstreams a little better, since they're shorter and wider, but still pretty close to neutral in the water.

Perhaps you could try placing your tank a little higher in the camband?

OMS slipstreams are like the Jets, but lighter.

I'll try to put the tank a bit higher, that's the cheapest option therefore the first, thanks Jax :)
After that I'll have a look at 7mm booties, although I dive warm waters and afraid it will get too hot but that's an option nonetheless.

I'll also find someone who dives OMS slipstream and give them a try although it will be hard to let them go.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!
As always, you are very helpful and kind.

Try an ankle weight around tank neck....different weights until you find the weight that works....

Do your fins sink? If they do consider thicker booties and/or fins that float.

I dive and teach in a BP/W with a SS plate and a HP 100. In a shorty or a full 3 mil I can maitain good trim with my Scuba Pro Twin Jets in blue or yellow. They float.
If I wear Jet fins I almost go vertical.

In my 7.5 mil neoprene drysuit my feet are too floaty. Ankle weights were a temporary fix. I bought a pair of black Twin Jets. They are negative and sink and got my trim back where it is suppose to be.

When I'm diving back home I have no problem keeping a horizontal trim without finning. I'm usually in a 7mm FarmerJohn, 12lbs on my belt and 8 lbs in my integrated pockets. Using an Al63

Just this month I did a project out in the Philippines. 4/3mm full with 2lbs on my belt and 4lbs in my integrated pockets; using an Al80. I had to constantly fin my feet sideways to keep my trim. My feet would sink otherwise.
The picture below is my first checkout dive, I was finning/"threading" even though it looks like I'm motionless. I even hitched my tank up as high as it would go the next day. It helped but didn't solve the issue entirely.

I'm using a Back Inflate, with 5mm booties and Jet fins for both the tropics and back home BTW. I think if I had more neoprene or +buoyancy on my legs it would solve the issue. But honestly my finning never silted, and I was always aware of where the fan corals were.

So don't worry, you're not alone. :wink:

IMG_9230.jpg

Thanks guys for all the help!

I hope to try some of the methods mentioned here during the weekend and will report the results.

Before making equipment change, make sure you have the right posture. Sometime, you think your knees are banding up enough, but they are not. Better have someone shoot a video of you, then review it. It that someone is a experience diver, or better yet, a DIR diver, the feedback from video can be very helpful.

I dive in cold water. I used to have heavy feet issue even with the lightest fins. After some video review and live correction by my fundiie instructor, I can now maintain trim even with a pair of, much heavier, jetfins. No equipments were changed, just postures.

Back
Top Bottom