Heavy legs affect trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't overlook the comment on tank position, and remember the tank becomes more buoyant as air is depleted. One other suggestion- take a 1 pound ankle weight and clip it around the tank valve. It's not so much weight that it will screw up your neutral buoyancy, but may be just enough to "level you out." I really think this is the answer, because I think the issue is your tank getting buoyant during the dive.
DivemasterDennis

I have the same problem. For most of the diving I do it's not really a concern but I would like to get it right. I've considered jamming bits of polystyrene into the toes of my fins.

Before making equipment change, make sure you have the right posture. Sometime, you think your knees are banding up enough, but they are not. Better have someone shoot a video of you, then review it. It that someone is a experience diver, or better yet, a DIR diver, the feedback from video can be very helpful.

I dive in cold water. I used to have heavy feet issue even with the lightest fins. After some video review and live correction by my fundiie instructor, I can now maintain trim even with a pair of, much heavier, jetfins. No equipments were changed, just postures.

And sometimes people get too focused on the picture they have in their head of knees bent at 90 degrees that they induce the trim problems themselves. As you move your fins forward and back you will also shift your center of gravity...

May I suggest that video and a buddy/instructor(GUE/UTD)would be great tools to get to your goal.

I don't know any DIR divers and we don't have a GUE instructor in my country, but I will try to find someone with a video camera or even rent one.
After I'll have my video I'll see what's wrong with my trim. I might even upload it here if it won't look that bad :)

Ohect, speed is not necessarily an asset to good diving. OMS Slipstream fins are neutrally buoyant. Tank valve can be considerably higher than the wing, meaning that you should be able to raise tank. With single tank I dive a Golem 35 ring wing with an AL 80 and the neck of the tank is appx. even with the top of the wing meaning that the entire 1st stage is above the wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom