Help choosing a BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Guys, I know this topic has been covered a bunch, but after searching the forums for hours I haven't found any brand specific benefits. I'm looking to perchase a full rig in the next couple months but live in utah and don't have much access to shops that use alot of the bp/w configurations, so I wanted to get everyones opinions... First off, what type/brand backplate do you recommend? I'm going to be getting my rescue diver certification soon and am going to be getting into some cave diving in the next year or so. What brands are available and what are the benefits to each? I know most of them are interchangeable. I will be primarily using a single tank configuration. I also don't really know where to start when looking at wings and the buoyancy ratings. I tried using the calculator in the sticky and just got me confused. I am slightly negatively buoyant and weigh 180 lbs. 5'9" tall. Any general reccomendations? What is the most comfortable harness system? Is there any need for a padded system? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't have a lot of people around here that use the bp/w configuration and therefore have VERY little hands on experience with them. Thank you all in advance for any replies and general reccomendations. Oh, and yes, this really is my first post.. I have been reading these forums for a long time, and haven't had much need to post anything as you have all been most helpful in answering my questions without it. v:)

Go ahead and call these guys....I dive DR myself, but I think this will be my next rig. DSS back plate features angled harness slots and a much flatter profile than other plates. This results in greater comfort and a lower profile when used with a single tank.

https://www.deepseasupply.com

After hours of research myself, I agree with the above post. It is one of the more affordable setups, quality rep and well supported. Call them and I am sure they will walk you through exactly what you need.

Welcome to the Board!

As far as a bp/w you seem to have a back plate, harness and wing. Those are your major three parts. Figure out if you want a steel or aluminum bp. A lot of that depends on your exposure protection. Personally, I went with a Hammerhead back plate with a one-piece single tank adapter.

Esepcially since you plan on going into cave diving, I would recommend a one-piece webbing harness system. It is as simple as it seems and can be adjusted to fit anyone.

The wing gets a little trickier. Don't buy a wing single/doubles wing! Might work okay for both, but not ideal for either. When you are looking at wing, make sure they match up with your back plate.

You can choose to buy these separate (as I did) or some prefer to buy them as a package. For the most part as long as you stick to well know brands you should be okay. DSS seems good although I have not used there products numerous people on here love them. I currently dive and am happy with a Dive Rite harness, Oxycheq wing, Hammerhead (back plate)

Good luck!

Tobin(Deep Sea Supply) really has established a status among divers. He's always willing to talk to someone to get the right selection for you. I don't own any of his gear but am assured you'll get exactly what you need, and his stuff is supposedly pretty well built.

With that being said, there are other cheaper ways if you desire. Used is a good place to look!

I like the plates offered by TDL(Tech Diving Limited) and OMS. They have a slot on the bottom with 3 adjustment holes on the top to help with your range of adjustment, vs Dive Rite and Halcyon plates which only have a single hole. Some people will say a plate is a plate is a plate, which is true, but why pay for a plate doesn't have as many adjustment features? And yes, they are useful. Kind of like buying a luxury or sports car that doesn't have a telescopic steering wheel....

Another thing to consider that most people don't talk about is quality of the wing. You simply, utterly, without doubt, DO NOT need to pay over $400 for a ultra tough singles wing like the Agir-Brokk or Golem gear. What the hell are you doing in a single tank that requires such a well built wing!? I'd just get the cheapest one possible, personally. Check out the singles wing offered by Edge/HOG. TDL sells them for just over $200, and it will suit you fine.

If you already plan on definitely getting into doubles, then go ahead and get 2 separate wings. But, I started with an OMS 60lbs bungeed wing, and I still like it. I even did my basic cave class with it and did just fine. I still use it for single tank diving too(as infrequent as that is). Still, I found that my Agir-Brokk 56lbs wing IS more stable, and trims out better for me, so I'll use that for doubles and keep the OMS bungeed wing as a backup...cool, I've got a wing that works just fine with both doubles and singles, so it also acts as my backup with doubles also(just in case the Agir wing, miraculously, get damaged. This thing is tough). Something to consider vs a dedicated single tank wing and dedicated doubles wing. Again, are you going to be doing hour+ long dives in a single tank where maintaining perfect trim is going to be an absolutely priority, not to mention untenable with that bungeed wing?

If this option interests you, Dive Rite Express is selling brand new Rec Wings for $159. They have 51lbs of lift and a bungee system so you can use it for both singles or doubles. Yada yada yada, it doesn't work well some say. Hey, I've used them for single tanks without grief, and I know more than 1 person that use them for doubles(cave and not cave divers). When you decide you want a more efficient doubles wing(if the Rec wing ain't doin it) you could get one, then keep the Rec wing for use with single tanks and a backup for double tanks. So, don't drink all that kool-aid from the cyber divers about bungeed wings being useless. What I've seen in real life among cave divers and what I've seen on the internet are two completely different things.

Oh, and also just get a continuous webbing harness to start off with. If you find it uncomfortable on the surface, which I do, you can either modify it and add a sternum strap(really quite simple to do and will cost way less than buying a harness) or you can go out and buy a harness.

I hoped I've helped by giving you some not-so-common advice that usually isn't covered by stickies. Again, what I've found is what works in the real world vs. cyber divers with perfect gear setups are two entirely different things.

-Tyler

Calling Tobin will likely answer all your questions, he has provided advise on hundreds of threads here.

All plates are going to have 11 inch bolt patters as will all wings, you might find an old used one someplace thats different but its doubtful.

I'm a big fan of stainless as it removes weight from the belt and especially if you dive aluminum tanks. Aluminum is great if all you ever dive is thin suits and travel to do so. Many people eventually get both. The composite or plastic plates are another option for light weight needs.

A friend just got an edge/hog brand 32lb wing which looks and feels almost exactly like my OMS 32lb wing for about $70 less.

A hogarthian harness is the only way to go for me, its what cave and tec divers use generally. its simple, cheap, and tough.

If I was going to buy another bp/w today I would by a DSS plate and add a couple more holes in some specific locations to suit my needs, get another OMS wing or the HOG wing, and make a hog harness with parts from Scuba equipment, Dive gear, reefscuba.com, Manufacturer of scuba diving equipment. Buy brass hardware, stainless steel hardware, surgical tubing, latex surgical tubing, bungee cord, parachute cord, Waterborne watch bands, SEACURE mouthpieces, velcro

I have not dove Tobin's wings so I cant give a reason to why I wouldn't buy one other than really liking my OMS 32LB and my OMS Larry Green 45LB.

You can buy Hogarthian harness kits anywhere but since I like to change things a bit I always just buy the components and make my own (no sewing is required).

What ever wing you get make sure its not to big, if diving singles in even heavy steel versions I wouldn't get bigger than the 32lb I have. I use it for diving double aluminum 80's with 1 aluminum 40 deco bottle even so its plenty. If all you dive is tropical or aluminum 80's without big pony tanks than something in the 18-24lb range will likely be enough.

Tobin has a great method to calculate how much wing you need but you will need to know how much lead ballast will be used, how heavy the plate is, how heavy the tank is full, and what exposure protection you use. if you remove the bc system on the surface it must float fully configured with the tank, any lead, and plate (of course) plus any other things that might be attached.

Another recommendation for DSS. I dive Hog harnesses and have both the steel and Kydex plates, depending on the tank and exposure suit I'm using. So far I'm only diving wet and singles, though this may change very soon. Don't have any experience with other setups, but DSS does have excellent customer service.

Hope this helps. Cheers,
Lilla

There's a reason why most of the time there aren't any brand specific benefits: most of the manufacturers make high quality gears.

It comes down to personal preference and availability.

... I will be primarily using a single tank configuration. I also don't really know where to start when looking at wings and the buoyancy ratings. I tried using the calculator in the sticky and just got me confused. I am slightly negatively buoyant and weigh 180 lbs. 5'9" tall. Any general reccomendations? What is the most comfortable harness system? Is there any need for a padded system? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't have a lot of people around here that use the bp/w configuration and therefore have VERY little hands on experience with them. Thank you all in advance for any replies and general reccomendations. Oh, and yes, this really is my first post.. I have been reading these forums for a long time, and haven't had much need to post anything as you have all been most helpful in answering my questions without it. v:)

As others have advised, contact Tobin at DSS. He is a great resource for answering your questions. Having said that:

1. For single tank diving, get a single tank wing. A doubles wing or a wing that can accomodate singles or doubles will be too wide when used with a single tank, and will "taco".

2. In very general terms, your wing needs enough lift to compensate for the buoyancy your exposure suit loses at depth, and it also has to have enough lift to float your rig on the surface if you take it off (when you take off your rig at the surface, to get into a small boat for example, it loses any lift your exposure suit provides). So you'll need to know or estimate how much buoyancy your suit provides, thus can lose at depth, and how heavy your rig is (mainly based on the size and type of tank you use, steel or alloy/plastic backplate, etc.). Tobin is again great at helping you calculate how much lift you'll need.

3. Most find that the simple "Hogarthian" type harness is very comfortable. No extra padding is neeed.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom