Help !! Decision on Natural Gas Port off LBTS is close.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alternative energy is the only answer to our problems and you guys defend fossil fuels ….. I guess you really can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

**"Alternative energy is the only answer to our problems--"**

Well yeah. There are many things we need to uncap in the energy department.

A better engine instead of the combustion engine. Better fuel than fossil. Personally I want to see hydrogen fuel cells which burn off a glass of ocean water with a by product of O2. I can want that but it will not make my car go in 2008.

My point is IF, the pipeline is not going to destroy reef with it's installation then this is not going to hurt the reef. Any kind of "spill" which could occur would not damage the reef.

Kill everyone on the rig?, Absolutley, but the fishes safely in the water.. nope.

The majority of the pipeline will be *under* the reef and the remainder will run through the spoil area north of the anchorage. Everything you want to know is contained in the draft of the EIS (environmental impact statement).

http://www.suezenergyna.com/ourcompanies/documents/CalypsoDEISExec.Summary.pdf

Tractebel Calypso Pipeline, L.L.C.; Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for the Proposed Tractebel Calypso Pipeline Project; Request for Comments on Environmental Issues and Notice of a Public Scoping Meeting and Site Visit
The Port Everglades, Florida shore approach would be installed utilizing horizontal directional drilling (HDD) techniques to minimize impacts to three nearshore coral reefs. The pipeline would be directionally drilled out from an upland site at Nova Southeastern University to a point 4,616 feet from shore on the north side of the
Port Everglades entrance channel. From this point, a 2,132-foot-long by 25-foot-wide ditch would be cut through an existing spoil disposal area to the origination of a second directional drill. The second directional drill would be used to extend the pipeline an additional 5,130 feet to the northeast exiting at a depth of about 120 feet of water. Finally, the pipeline between 120 feet and 200 feet of depth would be covered with prefabricated flexible concrete mats. Where water depths exceed 200 feet, the Offshore Pipeline would be laid directly on the sea floor.

Alternative energy is the only answer to our problems and you guys defend fossil fuels ….. I guess you really can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

Alternative energies are definitely the only permanent answer but it's going to take several decades if not longer to make the transition. Don't be deluded by the glamorous and promising models and test programs. They don't scale up and they don't withstand the demands of consistency and reliability. The oil companies are not sitting on secret patents and solving the major hurdles in alternative energies is not something that can be done in a few years "if we just set our minds to it". It's going to be more like finding a cure for cancer.

In the meantime, life doesn't stop and we need energy. Fossil fuels are the "only" answer for those short term needs that can be applied on the necessary scale.

Actually I do not defend the uses of fossil fuels. But the fact are the facts, it will take time to get the alternative energy sources up an working. So right now it is to choose the lesser of the evils. LNG is way better to the enviroment till you get some green energy plant or another nuclear plant online.

The project is a terminal; no drilling. It is in 800-900 feet of water, LNG tankers pull up, convert the liquid to gas and it is pumped into pipe which runs to coast. If a hurricane comes tanker disconnects.

What?? That's IT? That's what the fuss is about?

That's not a big deal at all. As long as it's not bored straight through the reef, go to it, I say.

Edit: And yes, just to add... alt. fuels ARE the answer. But in the meantime, I'll settle for the lesser of two evils.

I think we should all stop using fossil fuels as of next Monday.

Anybody that disagrees with me is a tool of big oil, an old dog that can't learn new tricks, and just a downright horrible person.

Everybody agree? Wonderful!!!! Our use of fossil fuels will end next Monday, August 18,2008.

================

The above post is only slightly more ridiculous than

Great hopes, great promises, great intentions all count for very little. What counts is what is actually feasible and what is actually DONE.

Selrahc-- Not when they are unloading I hope! Before you are allowed to dive it you have to eat a bag of pork rinds, spit on the Quran, and name all the members of the Justice League, or be shot and pushed off the platform.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom