Help Me Get Bp/w for Smaller Wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all. Really appreciate the hours of material on here. I stay learning because of SB and the veterans, so thank you!

So I'm interested in getting both my wife and I a bp/w. I know there's a million threads on here about this, so I understand the concepts and lingo, but there's 2 million options out there.

We live on the east coast in MD. I do a good bit of quarry diving so cold water diving is in her future (whether she likes it or not is a different story:)

I think I'll be fine in an average size bp/w @ 5'11" 190lbs, but she's 5'2" 125lbs.

Are there any woman out there that have done cold water diving with bp/w and are vertically challenged? What did you end up using that worked for you? I've read the average size bp is good down to about 5'4" before you have to go for something different.

Full disclosure, I'm not filthy rich (I know I'm in the wrong hobby). So price is an object. If it will save me some money to piece the setups out and put them together myself, I'd like to do so.

As of now I dive 22lbs wet, she dives 18lbs wet in full farmer john / jane. It's hard to find her a jacket BCD for rental / class as she needs the XS.

I was thinking 30lb wing, SS backplate, and simple harness. We'd also take these with us if we travel. I know some people change wings or have different setups....that's not feasible for us at this stage in life.

Please SB, point me in the right direction and give me some experience from you short beautiful women out there!

Good thread. Similar situation (minus an inch).

May I add to the question:
Having picked up 2 used BPs (one SS, one alu) to go into family member rigs, how foes one tell if the BP is too large for a small person - preferably prior to rigging it all up?

Is there a particular way to hold it on a person's back?
Where should the top be held to and then what should the bottom of it not go below for a BP to be not too large?

Does it make a difference if the bottom corners are or are not bent up for this consideration?

Just out of curiosity, have you tried her in a standard sized back plate? Since a bp does not actually cover the entire back, you might find that a standard one will work for her. Then again it may not. Before looking for a specialty plate, that may cost more, just let her try a standard plate and see if it works. Later in August I'm planning to try out the new Juturna springs quarry. If it's convenient for you, I'd be happy to bring a couple of plates and wings over and let you try them out.

Dang. Both those options are more expensive than a regular setup, lol.

I've done a ton of reading, and everywhere said contact Tobin @ DSS, but as you said he's moving and down and out.

I've seen Eric's Freedom Plates, beautiful pieces of art, but I don't think he'll make a set of smalls. I haven't checked his thread in a while, but last time seemed like it would be a while before he made them again, let alone a set of smalls.

Is there a particular way to hold it on a person's back?

Not exactly. You can hold it up where it "should" go and if the bottom of the plate hits low in the small of their back, it will probably be too long. With that said, the size of the person, size of their harness, and tank will all contribute to variance in comfort. Ideally you want to try it out in the water.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried her in a standard sized back plate? Since a bp does not actually cover the entire back, you might find that a standard one will work for her. Then again it may not. Before looking for a specialty plate, that may cost more, just let her try a standard plate and see if it works. Later in August I'm planning to try out the new Juturna springs quarry. If it's convenient for you, I'd be happy to bring a couple of plates and wings over and let you try them out.

Man you guys are fast "typers".

I have not tried a standard one. I wanted to come on here and get some feed back before buying anything. I would love it if she would fit in a "normal" bp.

I’m 5’5” and the standard Halcyon plate fits me fine (I’m heavier than your wife). I love my Halcyon rig. Mine came with the Cinch thing. I have a 40lb wing, but that’s what mine came with (I won it). I got the weighted STA since I need a lot of lead. I also dive steel HP80s, which further cut down on my weight requirement (they’re much shorter than a regular AL80, so she would probably like them).

Oh, and if she likes pink, Halcyon offers webbing with pink Hs rather than the standard blue! :wink:

F2ABF462-76A0-43F0-8D33-8F2CE25DC832.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom