Help me get my first camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkornfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
** Reposted under photography.

Light is key in taking good pictures; yet I'm not yet ready to purchase a ton of equipment and want a compact solution.

I've rented cameras from dive operators; with disappointing results.

I'm looking for a camera and housing recommendaiton and is there an easy way to get some extra light?

Thanks

You might want to try the divers at Backscatter.com Fred @ Backscatter East was kind enough to walk me through different options and find the best solution for my skill level. This is the first time I have bought something from a shop and they had me spending less $$$ than I had planned on. The thing I really like about their shop is that they even help you dial-in the settings with custom cheat sheets. They actually have dived with the equipment and help you get some decent shots right out the gate. My advise is to listen to them... I bought the Olympus Pen setup from them and it has exceeded my expectations so far, and it is upgradeable. Hope that helps

I believe I have attached a few images from my first dive trip with this camera setup as an example in Cozumel.

Attachments

• P1161422.jpg
    P1161422.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 82
  • P1171668.jpg
    P1171668.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 92
  • P1161500.jpg
    P1161500.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 67
As with you..I immediately wanted to take pictures after I started diving...Since the voice in my head (my husband) said I should work on my comfort levels and bouyancy skills first. I agreed...But I am really glad I did. It seems you need to feel at ease in your enviroment to take good pictures. I will tell you when I started I used a Sealife set up and loved it....But work on skills 1st...

Well, what camera you want depends.

It depends on how much photography you are willing to learn.
It depends on how critical you are of your own photos.
It depends on how much money you have.

For a point and shoot, you really should get a camera with RAW capabilities. RAW allows you to adjust white balance in post processing which is a huge advantage. You will want a macro capability. Small critters are A) more common than big critters B) they can look very very cool, and C) they will often sit still so you can fiddle with your shot to your heart's content. Another thing you will want is wide angle capability. The less water between you and the photo, the better the shot. So wider is better. Finally, you will want an external strobe. With depth, you quickly lose the colors until all you have is blue or green. The strobe will replace the colors.

When you figure it all out, only the top of the line P&S pass muster like the Canon G12 or Canon S95.

I have not even mentioned DSLR. I would only touch 2 lines in DSLR: Canon or Nikon. They are the only ones with a complete line of professional lenses. No other company is even in the business. You will find enthusiasts for both companies. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. But DSLRs are an even bigger production than point and shoots, you are talking about having a different port for each different lens you use. Also, once you put on a lens, you can not change it for that dive. So if you have your macro on, you can not take a shot of the shark you see. Too bad.

The thing to remember is that underwater the light is always bad. Even in the best of conditions, it is like shooting in dim light, in the fog, while it is raining. You will have to rely on strobes, get close to your subject and so on. It is very, very different than photography in air.

You don't need to spend a fortune to take decent pics. Even the most basic point-and-shoot cameras can get good snaps. I firmly believe that good dive skills, buoyancy, patience and an understanding of the aquatic environment are the most important factors. Camera selection doesn't matter until you have those aspects nailed down.

IMHO, if you find that your pics are a disappointment, then the first resort should be to assess your core diving skills and photography technique. Only when you are happy with the quality of pics with a basic camera should you look to develop towards DSLR.

The pics in my gallery were all taken with a Sony T-20... Underwater Photography Philippines

Last edited:
You don't need to spend a fortune to take decent pics. Even the most basic point-and-shoot cameras can get good snaps. I firmly believe that good dive skills, buoyancy, patience and an understanding of the aquatic environment are the most important factors. Camera selection doesn't matter until you have those aspects nailed down.

IMHO, if you find that your pics are a disappointment, then the first resort should be to assess your core diving skills and photography technique. Only when you are happy with the quality of pics with a basic camera should you look to develop towards DSLR.

The pics in my gallery were all taken with a Sony T-20... Underwater Photography Philippines

Very good advice. Another place that might help (if you're a cheapskate like me) is here:
http://scubadivingandotherhobbies.weebly.com/index.ht

Wow. To me you've proven that a basic point-and-shoot will do it. Any technique tips?

Very good advice. Another place that might help (if you're a cheapskate like me) is here:
http://scubadivingandotherhobbies.weebly.com/index.ht

The link you left doesn't work. Need to add "ml" to the end of it and it will!

A wonderful camera is an Olympus PEN E-PL1 or PEN E-PL2 in Olympus housing. These are small interchangeable lens Micro 4/3 cameras, cost similar to P&S, can use auto or go manual, and has a lot of future up grade ability as your skills improve. They have a sensor close to DSLR size, and much larger than any P&S sensor.

A question almost everyone has when it comes to start with underwaterphotography. Exactly on that topic I just recently wrote a post on my website. The topic is "how to avoid backscatter" which is basically how you point your light-source on something. The article is listed here.

Besides that I started with a Sony DSC-T30 where the flash was definitely too close. So if you are looking for a camera which makes good shots and gives you enough light a Canon G10/G11/G12 would be a good choice with a "Canon WP-DC28 Waterproof Housing" for a G10. You will also get a diffusor to make sure the light is not reflecting too bright on the object you want to take the picture of.

Maybe that helps. Most of the underwater photos shown on my site are taken with the G10 (in an Ikelite housing) and an external Ikelite DS-160 substrobe.

Thomas

A canon S95 or Canon G12 in a canon housing with a Sea & Sea YS-02 strobe and fiber optic cable will give you a compact solution, lots of light and not break the bank - as little as $700 - $800 for a nice setup. Feel free to call with more questions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom