help me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geraldp:
The Fusilier is double-edged, which is good because you can't always get a good feel for direction when you're wearing gloves. Jerry

Uh, one should never feel a knife to determine which is the cutting edge. Add to that a double edge knife, in many locations, is considered an "anti-personnel" device regardless of how loudly you proclaim it's a tool. One single, 'wicked shahp', edge is all that is necessary.

yea! but i think that ill either go with the fusiler or the one that greeny suggested. If any1 has any other ideas please let me know before the end of august!

jrdivagrl:
I am a jr. ow diver and i am taking the advanced ow course. It requires that all divers have a dive knife. I am 13 and this will be my first knife. I want the dive knife to be a medium size and to last a long time, (and look cool obviously :wink: . I would very much appreciate anyones input on knives that fit my description!

Sweetie: Even though you feel it is, looking cool ain't important. Sharpness, high strength, and reliability are what count. Color means nothing. The SEAL's are issued the SOG knife-you'll find it on the net under SOG. Randall Made Knives, Orlando, Florida are handmade, expensive, worth every penny, and have been used in combat for 60+ years. Probable too high for you until you have saved some money, but they are what I use.

Gerber and Kershaw are good too, as are some of the others previously recommended to you. Ocean Master is hard to beat for the money, especially the Titanium. The people who really know (and teach) diving will judge you by your behavior and the quality of your equipment, not your sense of fashion.

You are investing in a tool that someday you may have to use to save your own or someone else's life. Don't try to get by cheap--knives that are cheap are cheap for a reason, and that is because they are made of low quality materials and with poor workmanship. The SEAL's don't go in the water with junk, and neither should you. The EMT shears should be pro quality, like the others have said. You need one knife befitting your physical size for a leg or your belt, and a small one to put on an arm.

This isn't a dress-up dance you're going to. Water is an absolutely unforgiving environment, and in or on it you are staking your life on the equipment you have with you. A $15 or $20 knife instills false confidence-would you fly in a $15 or $20 airplane? I don't think so!! If you're 100 feet down and desperately need your knife, a "look cool" appearance won't be at the top of your "things to do list", will it? Now, keep your wits about you, and go have fun!!!

With love from Iowa,

an old River Rat (and "once upon a time" Marine)

Thanks a lot! you are totally right! Thanks and i will take all that you said to heart!

I use the wenoka Squeeze knife, and have it attached to two grommets on my BC. I would suggest getting a somewhat cheap knife. You're going to lose it someday, and you won't really care when you drop it. And, if you happen to drop it during the ascent after a 90' dive, you won't be tempted to go back down after it.

But, as someone already said, be sure whatever you get is good quality. You don't want it to snap in two when you really need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom