help me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrdivagrl

Reaction score
I am a jr. ow diver and i am taking the advanced ow course. It requires that all divers have a dive knife. I am 13 and this will be my first knife. I want the dive knife to be a medium size and to last a long time, (and look cool obviously :wink: . I would very much appreciate anyones input on knives that fit my description!

Price range?

Get EMT shears. They're much more useful.

I agree, shears are the way to go. I usually carry a pair with me on every dive. You can them at most medical supply stores for pretty cheap.

hmm..well my price range is about $75. i will get a cheap pair of shears as well but the said specifcally i need a dive knife.
thanks a bunch!

Just be sure the shears have a case, as with the knife. Any knife should do, within size reason. Don't bother with the titanium. I have a small pointed Aeris Silverjack knife. It is small, has a good case, but does not cut through anything big very well. I almost need a longer knife for leverage, but for your size, it could suit you well. I would not recommend a super long knife for you, nothing longer than 5".

$75 will buy you most anything you want. I'm guessing you want something flashy, so go on Ebay and pick the knife that suits you. One word of advise. Pick something with a ful tang and a blunt tip. The blunt tip makes it better for prying, and makes it less likely that you'll stab yourself. It's also the type of knife that says "dive knife" when you look at it.

Ok, another piece of advise... 300 series stainless is more rust resistant.

jrdivagrl:
I am a jr. ow diver and i am taking the advanced ow course. It requires that all divers have a dive knife. I am 13 and this will be my first knife. I want the dive knife to be a medium size and to last a long time, (and look cool obviously :wink: . I would very much appreciate anyones input on knives that fit my description!
I plan on getting the Wenoka "Squeeze" knife as a BC knife. I think this would qualify as a "medium size" knife that you're looking for. Not sure about the "coolness" factor. My other knife is a bigger knife: a Blue-Tang that is leg mounted, but I never have found a need to wear it (plus it's big and awkward, and I'm afraid I'll lose it). So I was planning on getting a smaller knife and sewing the sheath to my BC strap.

Jerry

Thanks a bunch! I must admit Jerry, that i am drawn to the blue tang (i see why you bought it!). I dont know about the squeeze knife, it looks sufficient but it just doesnt look like the kind of knife i want. I really want a knife that is a smaller version of the Blue tang, any suggestions?

jrdivagrl:
Thanks a bunch! I must admit Jerry, that i am drawn to the blue tang (i see why you bought it!). I dont know about the squeeze knife, it looks sufficient but it just doesnt look like the kind of knife i want. I really want a knife that is a smaller version of the Blue tang, any suggestions?
Underwater Kinetics does have some smaller dive knives (see Underwater Kinetics Knives). You might want to just go visit some dive shops and see what they have and what you like. Then order it mail order. Some stuff I will always buy from my dive shop, but accessories I prefer to buy mail-order. That Wenoka knife from leisurepro.com is exactly twice the price at my dive shop.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom