Help with first gear purchase - regulator! Help me decide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,
It's my first post about gear! I've done about 80 dives but never owned gear other than the snorkel gear. Although I'm torn about getting my own (I think it costs more in the long run with checked luggage and servicing the gear), I'm ready to go ahead anyway. :) I live in Kansas City, MO, so the only diving I do is when I travel (so weight is a concern, but not really for the regulator) - typically 2-3 trips per year. I just do recreational diving in the tropics, but I may dive cold water some day (but definitely would be a rare thing). I do occasional deep dives (120-130'), but nothing more advanced than that really. Anyway, after a lot of research, a little bit of talking to LDSs, and reading reviews, I've narrowed it down to these choices:

1. Atomic Z2x (with swivel hose) - found it online for about $425. I saw great reviews on ScubaDiving.com, and heard great things from a LDS, but the web reviews are relatively old and not sure how it compares to some of the newer regs.
2. Aqua Lung Legend LX ACD Supreme - found it online for about $415. Also has great reviews on ScubaDiving.com, and also heard great things from a different LDS. How does this compare to the Atomic?
3. ScubaPro MK25 / S600 - pretty high most places, but found it at one place for $483. I've seen plenty of great reviews of this one too.
4. Sub Gear Cayman or SG1000 - found the Cayman for just $275 - hoping I can get the SG1000 for around $325 as someone else here did (but it's at $539 at most places, in which case I'd definitely get the others here instead)... If I can get it for cheap, I think it would be a real nice value and reviews are very solid (expected as it's the same as the ScubaPro MK17 / S600).

Which would you all suggest for my needs? Maybe it's all just personal preference? It sounds like they're all great regulators, but I'd like to hear from the community! I'm also concerned about servicing cost every year or two - how might that compare for these different regs? Thanks,
--Kyle

Really all are good choices. You can't go wrong here. Are you a avid vacation diver? If so, Atomic is not going to get as much support as AL, SP/SG outside of US. And then it comes down to your LDS, which one they can service.

I am an owner of Mk25/s600 and Atomic with swivel removed. If all else equal, I like Atomic better than Mk25. I like their 2 year service internval, compactness of the 1st stage and 2nd stage design better. I also think Atomic 2nd stage has better build quality than SP 2nd stage. Z2 (if you ditch the swivel) is one of the best value reg out there.

No experience with AL Lengend, although I was impressed with the 2012 model's build quality. It is step up from the previous model

Thanks for your input eelnoraa! Good point about support. Yes, most of my dives are on vacations in the Caribbean islands, Florida, and Mexico (both coasts).

Why did you take the swivel out of the Atomic? That's one of the reasons I wanted it! :) Trying to get as comfortable as I can as my jaws tend to get sore when diving... Thanks,
--Kyle

Just a thought....if most all of your diving is going to be tropical vacation diving, you will have lots of time in between to send regs in for service and get them back in plenty of time. In that case, I wouldnt think local service would be a big deal at all. I wouldnt worry about that one bit myself. But, thats just me.

IMO opinion SP has the best options for service places. I personally dive the AQ LgND LX with ACD and love it but there are not as many places to service it around here. Luckily i have a small fleet of regs. Mostly Apeks DS4's.

Why did you take the swivel out of the Atomic? That's one of the reasons I wanted it! :) Trying to get as comfortable as I can as my jaws tend to get sore when diving... Thanks,
--Kyle

The swivel can fail during a dive allowing gas to escape. On a shallow tropical recreational dive it is not a problem as you can just switch to the octo and surface. If you are in a situation where you cannot immediately go to the surface (cave or deco) the gas loss may put you in a dangerous situation.

4. Sub Gear Cayman or SG1000 - found the Cayman for just $275 - hoping I can get the SG1000 for around $325 as someone else here did (but it's at $539 at most places, in which case I'd definitely get the others here instead)... If I can get it for cheap, I think it would be a real nice value and reviews are very solid (expected as it's the same as the ScubaPro MK17 / S600).

If you find this price, send me a PM.

So the swivels are prone to failure, huh? Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks chrpai, I have been considering this also. I skimmed through the 23 page semi-heated discussion on these regs earlier :) They sound like a great option too. I'm leaning a little more towards the ones that have some more history to them and independent reviews (would love to see them reviewed on ScubaDiving.com), although it's clear many in the community here are very happy with them. I haven't ruled this out, but when some of these pricier regs can be found significantly discounted, I'm a little more tempted by them as there seems to be more of a user consensus and independent reviews behind them. Thanks!
--Kyle

+1 for Atomic Z2x (with swivel hose). Top quality USA manufacturer and only requires service every two years or 300 dives. Atomic also has a stellar long track record in the industry...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom