Herd Immunity in Indonesia

Would you travel to Indonesia after they have accomplished herd immunity?

• Yes

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 62.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was more interested in the case curves.

Personally I can't infer anything about these curves which are quite a challenge to interpret for the future...
- Denmark had a peak of cases in April while they performed 30.000 test/week, this number rose drastically in september while they increased 10 fold their testing capacity (last week 350.000 tests).
- Sweden had a peak of cases in June 2 months later than others as they were performing on average twice the number of tests compared to Denmark, and it seems it is slightly picking up mid of september while they only had less than half the number of tests than Denmark (150.000 tests per week)...It could as well represent the foot of a Gauss law that would peak after 1 or 2 months delay.
How do you make a stat out of these?
My own conclusion : you need to test if you want to find more cases.

Unless you can test the whole population very quickly any hidden case could still post havoc to the society.
This "chinese virus" has lot of ticks up in its sleeve!

Unless you can test the whole population very quickly any hidden case could still post havoc to the society.
This "chinese virus" has lot of ticks up in its sleeve!

This is the problem with the idea of visiting a country that has herd immunity. Its simply not beneficial to me that the bulk of the country have immunity if I am susceptible. Herd immunity does not mean you cannot carry and transmit the virus, it just means the bulk of the population do not get the illness. Some viruses need to get into your cells and replicate to be passed on, so in that case the herd immunity idea holds up. I believe Measles is one of these.

My most recent reading, which admittedly is a few weeks ago, is that the COVID-19 illness tests are most accurate 6-8 days after infection. The replication rate of SARS-COV-2 seems to indicate you can receive the virus and pass it on, at least whilst the virus is still alive, so upwards of 12hrs on a hard surface. You catch the virus from droplets on a bus handle and you can deposit that virus in many places before it dies. I'd suggest Indonesia needs a lot of improved hygiene controls before herd immunity could aid susceptible visitors.

All of the conquistadors had herd immunity, that did not help South America. Pocahontas died in England from some standard European disease that had not reached North America. Regular visitors to remote communities can tell you about all sorts of bacterial tolerances they had to develop, and how they suffered to get that tolerance. Cleanliness of water is the most common.

Cleanliness of water is the most common.[/QUOTE]
Clean and safe drinking water is never a problem in Indonesia.

I believe Measles is one of these.
Not sure of what you meant but measles is really the anti example of a "natural" herd immunity. While most of the newborn were systematically vaccinated 20 years ago, the measles cases were slowing down wordwide (divided by four in ten years time) then some stupid antivaxx spread the idea vaccination was a worldwide conspiracy and didn't allow their children to have the vaccine.
Guess what : there is now an uprising of Measles in most of the countries (we have now more cases worldwide than 15 years ago).Measles was supposed to be eradicated in the UK and US, not any more if you look at 2018-19 figures.
That is for "natural herd immunity".

No one can predict how effective the vaccine, if ever available, against this Corona Virus. Flu vaccine does not give 100% protection and has to be developed yr to yr!

Not sure of what you meant but measles is really the anti example of a "natural" herd immunity. While most of the newborn were systematically vaccinated 20 years ago, the measles cases were slowing down wordwide (divided by four in ten years time) then some stupid antivaxx spread the idea vaccination was a worldwide conspiracy and didn't allow their children to have the vaccine.
Guess what : there is now an uprising of Measles in most of the countries (we have now more cases worldwide than 15 years ago).Measles was supposed to be eradicated in the UK and US, not any more if you look at 2018-19 figures.
That is for "natural herd immunity".

I made no mention of natural 'herd' immunity, where this exists is in local populations. I did suggest an example where local water sources hosts local strains of bacteria. The local population will have immunity, visitors will not, but I wouldn't call that a natural herd immunity. That is not Indo specific, I can think of many people that have had amoebic dysentery when visiting remote areas from tainted water. This is not that the water is inherently unsafe but that the bacteria in it are unfamiliar to the visitor's microbiome and their own flora are unable to contain the new bacteria. A natural immunity to a virus would be far more complex.

Herd immunity means that enough of the population are immune that the virus is essentially nullified. Measles is one where if you get enough of the population vaccinated, those that cannot be vaccinated are still safe. If enough people elect to not be vaccinated because a hack falsified data, herd immunity is lost because enough of the population is vulnerable, enough vectors become available that the virus can propagate.

The absurd thing is Wakefield never argued against vaccines, he was patenting his own measles vaccine to market once he'd discredited the MMR vaccine with his false data. But the antivax movement extrapolates his lies into the myth vaccines are bad. Living proof that you can lead a fool to data but you cannot make them think.

I'm unsure that SARS-COV-2 and its method of transmission can achieve the same thing. Yes, like the flu vax, but we shall see. Medical science has come a long way and the effort being thrown at this is massive, but mother nature will have a few tricks up her sleeve.

No one can predict how effective the vaccine, if ever available, against this Corona Virus. Flu vaccine does not give 100% protection and has to be developed yr to yr!

Not sure what your point is? Of course no one can predict it, hence they need to be developed and extensively tested, so their limitations are clearly understood. Certainly every leader in Australia is saying we need to live with the virus, its now a part of life. A suite of vaccines will give broad protection but you don't eradicate a virus with a vaccine, you eradicate its vectors into the population. Corona viruses are much more difficult because they can survive for a time outside of the body. The more vectors you add the more difficult the task. But if vaccines can make the population largely immune, you can protect those that are able to be protected. Everyone left gets to roll the dice. The more careless the broader population is, the more exposed the unprotected are.

My point is very simple: live with it.
The effectiveness of any vaccine is "unknown".
Eradicate is a pretty strong word to deal with virus.
This virus is a survivor!

My point is very simple: live with it.
The effectiveness of any vaccine is "unknown".
Eradicate is a pretty strong word to deal with virus.
This virus is a survivor!

So far. I shall keep my fingers crossed.

I...f enough people elect to not be vaccinated because a hack falsified data, herd immunity is lost because enough of the population is vulnerable, enough vectors become available that the virus can propagate...

What do you mean by “vectors”?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom