Here is a hi res download of DIR III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downloading. Out of curiosity, is there much talking on this video? Will I miss out on much, not being able to hear the dialogue?

It is NOT a stream, it is a download.....technically, it won't play optimally until it is 100% downloaded, although it may play fairly well once you pass the 50% to 75% downloaded point..depending on your connection speed. I would say get it 100% downloaded, and then open it and try playing....it is close to a 1 gig file, so it is not the normal wmv file...and it was encoded at a very high bit rate---so the quality of video and audio is quite good.

Regards,
Dan

P.S.
We never got around to getting this out on DVD. We planned on DRM and Internet distribution, but the issues DRM added, ended up becoming so much of a pain, the video just ended up sitting in a closet. Niether George or I ever wanted any money from it anyway--it was really just hosting bandwidth....which now days is so cheap it is completely insignificant.

I've only started listening to this, but I was quite struck by George's comments at the beginning, which appear to debunk the common idea that DIR is only for technical diving, and that anyone who adopts the system is "expected" to go on to "more advanced diving". The point is that you CAN, but not that you HAVE to.

It is NOT a stream, it is a download.....technically, it won't play optimally until it is 100% downloaded, although it may play fairly well once you pass the 50% to 75% downloaded point..depending on your connection speed. I would say get it 100% downloaded, and then open it and try playing....it is close to a 1 gig file, so it is not the normal wmv file...and it was encoded at a very high bit rate---so the quality of video and audio is quite good.

Regards,
Dan

P.S.
We never got around to getting this out on DVD. We planned on DRM and Internet distribution, but the issues DRM added, ended up becoming so much of a pain, the video just ended up sitting in a closet. Niether George or I ever wanted any money from it anyway--it was really just hosting bandwidth....which now days is so cheap it is completely insignificant.

Thanks for that info, I downloaded it but then was wondering about the legality of it and did not want to redistribute an illegal file.

I don't know how long I will keep it up but will probably keep it for awhile: http://www.johnwigle.com/scuba-files/dir3.wmv . Please do tell me if you repost this link somewhere

I've only started listening to this, but I was quite struck by George's comments at the beginning, which appear to debunk the common idea that DIR is only for technical diving, and that anyone who adopts the system is "expected" to go on to "more advanced diving". The point is that you CAN, but not that you HAVE to.

You're right Lynn. They also discuss several other myths and incorrect assumptions about DIR that have gained notoriety from the Internet.

When I took Fundies they made it quite clear that DIR is a good system for recreational diving and if one wants to move into so called technical diving, some of the building blocks will already be in place.

My instructors really emphasized that diving should be fun, and of course I learned how DIR makes diving even more fun now that I know a little something about it.

Regards,
Dan

P.S.

Thank you for making the video then letting us have it.... free. :)

Thanks for posting. Given the extremely large file size, though, I would like to know beforehand whether this is an instructional video (showing skills etc.) or just a discussion between the three people featured in the video? (I watched the first five minutes and my player doesn't allow me to fast forward, so I can't tell). Thanks!

Thanks for posting. Given the extremely large file size, though, I would like to know beforehand whether this is an instructional video (showing skills etc.) or just a discussion between the three people featured in the video? (I watched the first five minutes and my player doesn't allow me to fast forward, so I can't tell). Thanks!

There is a lot of material George covers, that you should find valuable--I suppose you could say instructional, but that is not the tone of the video....When George and Bill and I did a DIR demo, it was more of a one on one, interacting like fellow divers....it is more George just explaining why he does things a certain way, and why some divers who do things a certain other way, have problems--he shows the whys.....the people we did this for, would make up their own minds....as you watch this, I think most will agree this does not sound like the source of the "Kool Aid"....and yet, George is the one who got all the bad press because of his Internet personna.

Thanks for noticing this !!!! :)

Regards,
Dan V

If, over the years, George had acted like he did in the video - here and in other online venues - I would have paid a lot more attention a lot sooner.

Blister

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. This video was one of my first introductions to DIR, although back then the hi-res video was 300MB (I still have it, by the way). I also have a low res version of DIR1 and an audio only version of DIR2. Anyone have anything better for those two?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom