Here we go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm very impressed with this thread.
remember, i know very litlle about back plate wingy thingies and such. it's just that normally several people will gang up on someone for whatever reason.
kudos to all who have posted! go ahead and pat yourself on the backplate or wing thing or just wherever you feel like patting yourself.

btw...good luck with your new toys, i always do

dano

Right now, just the regular hose setup. Next check I plan on getting a single tank long hose (7') setup. Use my current reg and current prim/octo. After a few more checks I'm going to look into a new reg and new prim/sec regs.

I think I'll set this up for the d-ring to be on the right side. My current SPG console on my BC is on the right side. This will help me judge what I might think about doing with the long hose and short hose SPG later on.

Thanks,

Michael

aowdan:
i'm very impressed with this thread.
remember, i know very litlle about back plate wingy thingies and such. it's just that normally several people will gang up on someone for whatever reason.
kudos to all who have posted! go ahead and pat yourself on the backplate or wing thing or just wherever you feel like patting yourself.

btw...good luck with your new toys, i always do

dano

Thank you very much. Not all the people on SB are PITA's. :wink: I've learned lot and almost everything I've learned about DIR/Hog diving has been off of SB. Of course there are several other sites I've read but, if I can't get a question answered there, it's pointless to me. Here however; several people have helped me through posts. There are a very few that's taking the time to answer my PMs.

One in particular that's actually helped me decide that I wanted to go into DIR/Hog (BP/W and doubles eventually) and that person doesn't really know it. I've read almost every post I can find that this person has posted and it's inspired me to do more and learn more. This person is so insightful and helpful in many ways. I really admire this person and hope one day to be as good and hopefully get to dive along side.

Thank you all again.

Michael

can light on the left, well turning it on and off would be a problem to do yourself once geared up, you'd have to have something to secure the long hose on the right assuming your using one, shears, knife would work

Have you considered maybe a short (12" or less) hp hose with the spg on the left secured to your corrugated inflator hose with bungie or clipped to your left chest d-ring, then you could just glance down and see it in most cases.

I would just be concerned with overload on your right, if you can alleviate a task like unclipping/clipping your spg to glance at it why not? Your gonna have enough going on with controlling buoyancy, watching computer/compass, lights, etc. with your right. MY .02 cents anyway, I could be way off base.

-Garrett

SBU,

I'm not sure how a can light turns off/on. Never actually had my hand on one. If it's just a switch or something of that nature, I'm sure I could figure out a safe way to turn it on/off. I do have a knife and I plan on testing it to see if the long hose will route to it and stay put.

Yeah, I have thought about clipping it to my left d-ring. you are correct, it'd be a LOT easier to just look down at the SPG instead of trying to unclip/clip it. I'll definitely looking to the possibilities of the clip or secured to my inflator hose. Thanks, didn't think of that one.

That's another concern I've had. Right now with my BC, it's not too must stress or overload in the diving I do. I know that this will make everything more demanding of my time and alertness.

I'm going to try to figure out a way to get my computer involved. As it is right now, I can't have it on my fore-arm as I would not be able to push any of the buttons. So I'm wondering if a retractor will need to be added to the equation. I have a quite a bit of time to look into this and figure out what I need to do and make any configuration adjustments.

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated.

Michael

Some computers are "buttonless". I have a Uwatec Aladin PRO and there are no buttons to push underwater- it shows time, depth, max depth and remaining NDL. My bottom timer is the same (but it has temp instead of NDL).

Speaking of computers, maybe you might want to look into air integrated?

do it easy,

I actually have a VT3 in storage. I almost want to sell it but, I want to keep it for any deep (no more than 110' max or so) dives I may do. I know some shops require you to have a computer before they allow you to dive. I was lucky in Cozumel, everyone had a computer but myself. The DM just stayed closer to me and of course, I wasn't down long due to my gas hog self. :)

Michael

Hey mwhities

I'm a BPW newbie too! I'm very happy w/ the hog setup. The reduction in drag is incredible, and I have massive trim improvements. Everything feels right.

But what are we gonna do about the air consumption????

BTW, compare the VT3 to using tables. When you work through the numbers you'll keep the computer.

Randolphscott:
Hey mwhities

I'm a BPW newbie too! I'm very happy w/ the hog setup. The reduction in drag is incredible, and I have massive trim improvements. Everything feels right.

But what are we gonna do about the air consumption????

BTW, compare the VT3 to using tables. When you work through the numbers you'll keep the computer.

Great! Please join in with me on a wonderful learning experience! :wink:

I can't wait to get into the pool to see how all of this works out. I feel that I'm going to have to add weight, somewhere and some how. I guess I'll find out this weekend.

What are we going to do? I think we need to go to doubles! Maybe triples!! :wink: My SAC rate is... well, just know I go through an AL80 like it's a Blizzard from DQ!!! :)

I've learned the numbers but, not to the point I would feel 100% comfortable doing it on a deep dive. Mind you, I'm reading up on it and teaching myself to get comfortable with it.

Michael

Well, I think I finally have it put all together. What a JOB! I messed up a couple of times, the worst was putting the left strap from the top into the inside slot. I had it twisted the wrong way, so when I put it on, it was twisting into my side. So in all of the pull in/pull out the ends have become frayed and increasingly harder to thread through the slots.

It actually feels pretty comfortable, of course, I will need to see how it is in the water and with a tank on.

I've been making a lot of noise tonight, so I'm going to call it a night with working on the BP and I'll focus on adding the wing and tank straps tomorrow.

Thanks all,

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom