Here we go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's actually kind of interesting to think through how to do things with only one arm available. I'd still put the can light on the right hip, I think, because it routes the long hose properly. Some people route the SPG under the arm and clip it to one of the front D-rings so you can just glance down and see it -- That might be an option for you.

What's bugging me is trying to figure out how you can wear a computer/depth gauge on your right wrist and ever get it lit. I use the penumbra from my can light to read my gauge at night, but you'd have the light head in your right hand, so that lets that out. This might actually be an argument for an air-integrated computer like the Cobra, that you could clip to a front D-ring and have accessible to your right hand and your light, which would give you a depth gauge you could glance at that would integrate your pressure gauge. Not classical DIR, but a justifiable workaround, I think.

One of the things about DIR is that nothing is truly written in stone -- As my instructor has said again and again, you have to make choices by recognizing the pluses and minuses of the strategies you choose. And your strategies are heavily constrained in a way that most of ours aren't.

Here's a thought about your high pressure hose for your spg. You could use a 26" hose for your spg and just move your left hip d-ring a little bit more foreward. A standard 24 inch hose bolt snapped to the left hip d-ring is really tough to reach with your right hand.

Divr Rite Express sells the 26" hose for about $38.

I agree with the other posts. I'd do a mirrored image of a DIR type setup. Can light on the left, everything else on the right, hoses coming from the opposite direction.

Where there's a will...

TSandM:
It's actually kind of interesting to think through how to do things with only one arm available. I'd still put the can light on the right hip, I think, because it routes the long hose properly. Some people route the SPG under the arm and clip it to one of the front D-rings so you can just glance down and see it -- That might be an option for you.

What's bugging me is trying to figure out how you can wear a computer/depth gauge on your right wrist and ever get it lit. I use the penumbra from my can light to read my gauge at night, but you'd have the light head in your right hand, so that lets that out. This might actually be an argument for an air-integrated computer like the Cobra, that you could clip to a front D-ring and have accessible to your right hand and your light, which would give you a depth gauge you could glance at that would integrate your pressure gauge. Not classical DIR, but a justifiable workaround, I think.

One of the things about DIR is that nothing is truly written in stone -- As my instructor has said again and again, you have to make choices by recognizing the pluses and minuses of the strategies you choose. And your strategies are heavily constrained in a way that most of ours aren't.

I think the SPG going to the left chest d-ring would be a good way to start out and see how it works. I know when I had my console on my left side of the BCD, it was some what difficult to grab and read. I've always liked "tidy" so I'd have it clipped off instead of dragging through whatever. So whenever I'd try to grab it and look at it, it would unclip and I'd have to try to reclip it again, wasting more energy and time(air).

I do have a VT3 (kinda, still need to pay it off). I was thinking of a retractor between the left and right chest d-rings. Maybe there would be a way to have it setup so I could point the light at it and see it without touching it. Much like the SPG. (Even if I do add the VT3, I'm still going to use the SPG and tables for dives. The VT3 will be somewhat of a back up or vice versa.)

I'm just trying to be as stream lined as possible and use the minimalistic amount of gear. This will be a constant work in progress but, I know I'll eventually get it down pat and it will work well for myself. I guess all-in-all, that's who it's about; myself.

Michael

MBH:
Here's a thought about your high pressure hose for your spg. You could use a 26" hose for your spg and just move your left hip d-ring a little bit more foreward. A standard 24 inch hose bolt snapped to the left hip d-ring is really tough to reach with your right hand.

Divr Rite Express sells the 26" hose for about $38.

I had actually thought about that as well but, I would need a way to be able to look at my SPG with a light if I were doing a night dive. I guess I could get a light that straps to my mask strap (but, I'd prolly blind myself with my light head in my right hand. :p) and turn it on.

Again, this will be something that I'll need to keep working on a fine tunning. Hopefully I can figure something out so I can start enjoying the dives again. :)

Thanks,

Michael

PerroneFord:
I agree with the other posts. I'd do a mirrored image of a DIR type setup. Can light on the left, everything else on the right, hoses coming from the opposite direction.

Where there's a will...

I need to find online and/or look at a canister light in person. How it's turned off/on and any other thing I need to know about it will help me to determine where I'd feel most comfortable placing it. I did set my hog harness up with my knife on the right side. Since I don't have a long hose yet, I won't know if that's going to work for me. Hopefully I can route the hose under it or I may even be able to tuck it into my belt.

I'll know for sure on the next pay check. :wink:

Michael

I too suffered a delima with where to stow my long hose as I dont wear a can light. Another dir diver turned me on to this little trick. Keep your knife on your belt in front and just left of center. Tuck your longhose under the knife sheath. It works perfectly.
Brent

The canister light has a toggle switch on top of the battery canister on your waist. Don't feel funny if you can't reach it yourself. I can't get to mine either. Unless you're solo diving, you'll have someone there to help you out. I need help with my drysuit, my can light, and sometimes my fins.

Just a part of diving with so much gear. Don't sweat the BS. Do what you need to do, to dive the dives you want to make.

-P

mwhities:
I need to find online and/or look at a canister light in person. How it's turned off/on and any other thing I need to know about it will help me to determine where I'd feel most comfortable placing it. I did set my hog harness up with my knife on the right side. Since I don't have a long hose yet, I won't know if that's going to work for me. Hopefully I can route the hose under it or I may even be able to tuck it into my belt.

I'll know for sure on the next pay check. :wink:

Michael

MBH:
I too suffered a delima with where to stow my long hose as I dont wear a can light. Another dir diver turned me on to this little trick. Keep your knife on your belt in front and just left of center. Tuck your longhose under the knife sheath. It works perfectly.
Brent

I read that somewhere before too. I'll try it on the front left center and on the right side (like a can light). I'll see which works/feels better.

Michael

PerroneFord:
The canister light has a toggle switch on top of the battery canister on your waist. Don't feel funny if you can't reach it yourself. I can't get to mine either. Unless you're solo diving, you'll have someone there to help you out. I need help with my drysuit, my can light, and sometimes my fins.

Just a part of diving with so much gear. Don't sweat the BS. Do what you need to do, to dive the dives you want to make.

-P

Ahh, that might work then. I'm not diving dry as of yet (it'll be awhile) so maybe I could reach across and be able to switch it on/off with it on the left side. Can I try your light out? :wink: Again, more work in progress, I'll just have to keep messing around with different options.

Thanks,

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom