Hero 3 (Black) won't turn off!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just got back from Cancun and while there I did a bull shark dive. I turned on my camera on the boat deck and set it to video mode. Some time during the descent the screen changed to a menu screen (can't remember the details but it was a screen I had not seen before). I attempted to scroll through and return it to video recording mode but it was unresponsive. I tried to turn it off and then on again (to reset) but it was frozen and would not turn off. When I got back on the boat, at the suggestion of the dive master, I put it in a rinse bucket (the dive master said he had heard that when frozen like this they can suffer heat build up). When we got back from the second dive the camera had turned off. When I got back to my hotel I took the battery out and charged it, re-installed it and then everything seemed to work fine (I could turn it on and off and scroll through the menus.

Has anyone else experienced this "freezing" and inability to turn off the camera?

Yeah, common problem that GoPro doesn’t like to publicly admit to. Make sure you’re on the latest firmware and that you’re using one of their recommended memory cards, that seems to help some people.

This happens occasionally with my H2's too (in the 3D configuration) so I try to shoot a clip before entering the water to be sure everything's working. I've had to swap batteries standing in full gear---tanks on back, buddy tapping his feet---several times.

I had to send mine back for a new one when this happened.

Garth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom