Hiding your certification level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about you, John, but I don't assume someone with an instructor card is a competent diver. They often aren't.

Very true (and i said the same thing very early in this thread), but dive operators still make assumptions based on certification level. Should they? no. Do they? That has been my experience with every dive operator I have ever used.

For those who might complain about the dive destination, difficulty, or group, I strongly suggest discussing those when signing up for a dive. If you don't, then you have no right to complain. Even if you ask and are told of an intended itinerary, the operator has the unfettered right to change the itinerary and you are not entitled to your money back unless you have something in writing saying you are. Of course, if the operator changes itineraries unreasonably and repeatedly, it will lose customers and eventually go out of business.

If you sign up for a specific dive at a specific location, then you have the right to that dive absent unusual circumstances. If those circumstances develop, you probably are not entitled to your money back unless there is a writing saying you are. If you have any doubts, ask.

And, I believe that if someone asks for your certification card and you show a lower level than your actual level, you cannot legitimately complain if the operator places you with divers of a similar certification level. Of course, when the operator asks for your certification level, you could ask whether the level would matter to where you dive or to what group you may be assigned.

You'd be amazed what asking can accomplish.

ItsBruce:
And, I believe that if someone asks for your certification card and you show a lower level than your actual level, you cannot legitimately complain if the operator places you with divers of a similar certification level.

First, it's not lower than your actual level, it's lower than your highest level. There is a difference. Second, no one has suggested that in such a situation there would be any basis for complaint.

ItsBruce:
Of course, when the operator asks for your certification level...

I've never had that happen in the 26 years I've been diving. This is regardless of where I've dived - the US (both coasts), central America, Mexico (both coasts), all over the Caribbean, Siberia....... I've had some ask if I'm advanced. I've had some ask if I'm wreck or cave or nitrox....I've had some not even ask to see a card. I've never had an operator ask for my highest level.

And, I believe that if someone asks for your certification card and you show a lower level than your actual level, you cannot legitimately complain if the operator places you with divers of a similar certification level.

I agree. That's why I never show my PADI cards. :wink:

Kinda like a Yamaha next to a Harley at a stoplight:shakehead:

I like my Hell Diver cards. :wink:

I like my Hell Diver cards. :wink:
Well, if you end up where you so clearly want to go, please don't come back to Scubaboard whining about it!:rofl3:

I can see the advantages and disadvantages from each point of view. Maybe the solution is somewhere in the middle.
I think we may have found a good reason to have a Master Scuba Diver card. It shows that you are somewhat more experienced (than just a Rescue Diver) and yet it is not a professional rating and based on that you shouldn't be expected to take on any extra responsibilties.

As for legal ramifications of not disclosing your highest certification level the answer is simple. You're not working, you are vacationing and you are under no requirement to disclose.
Your reason for doing this is so there is no expectation from the operator or crew about your volunteering to assume any of "their responsibilities" while on the trip.

Well, I am heading out on the Aquacat for a week, and I will only be showing my nitrox card. Thanks for all the replies to the post!

The good news is that it is unlikely that there will be an incident that will cause anyone to even ask about the levels of the various divers. As such, it is unlikely to matter what card one shows a dive operator beyond showing sufficient competency to do a particular dive.

However, in the unlikely event of such an incident, don't be surprised if a lawyer should try to use your failure to disclose your highest level as the basis for an argument that you were trying to avoid your responsibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom