High tech mask glass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreyVR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I'm researching for a new mask, and I'm leaning towards an Atomic with ARC, but I am trying to search for other options. Basically, high tech glass is appealing to me. (I know fit is more important.... but put that aside for a moment.)

Now, I'm not so much looking for mask recommendations as I want to discuss the technology of scuba glass. All I can really find on this is coming from Atomic, and I'd like to get outside a manufacturer talking up their own product.

I am most likely using the wrong search terms to fuel my research. Surely Atomic isn't the only company who thinks highly of their glass. Can anyone help me search on this?

I honestly can't comment about the attributes of the "super glass", but we sell a mask that fits just about everyone, has unrestricted visibility (because the lens is so close to your eyes) is also very comfortable and almost indestructible.

In fact, I guarantee you will LOVE the mask or I will take it back.. on MY dime.

The MAKO DIRECT pricing will probably cost you about 1/4 or a 1/3 of the one you are inquiring about. We now have 3 colors to choose from as well.

Minimus Mini Freedive Mask | MAKO Spearguns

MMM-2T.jpg

Thanks!

edit: I just did a search on that mask... actually around 7 or 8 times as much as the MAKO minimus mask!
Dano

Glass is pretty much-so glass.

Except their glass, it's different, so they say....
ULTRACLEAR lenses are made exclusively for Atomic Aquatics by one of the highest quality glass companies in the world. This higher quality glass is free from impurities and delivers a much clearer field of vision. Divers will be able to literally see the difference when diving with an AtomicVision mask.

I have masks from the 1950's. The glass appears of identical clarity to my newest masks.

I had "clear" UV or Skylight 1A filters protecting all 25+ of my Nikkor lenses. Did I buy $45 Nikon filters or $6 generics? Take a wild guess. Same with polarizers, $125 or $12, let me think.

When you're making a product that is similar to everyone else's, how do you differentiate? Make colored lenses then develop a perceived use for it? Add an expensive heads-up display? Make the silicone in pink? After that they ran out of ideas, until the next one.

If I was named ATOMIC, I'd name my super dooper glass TRINITIE, google that.

An adequate product, no worse or better than any of the top 5. Good stuff, typical marketing foolishness, that's all.

Last edited:
I have yet to see any coating I like better than clear glass or any glass that is noticeably better than any other. Scratches outside the mask are undetectable after it is wet. Scratches inside have to be pretty bad before the normal moisture in the mask allows them to be seen.

Glass is not glass, but most of your major manufacturers will be using optical quality glass. Optical glass will be lacking a distinctive blue or green tint. The only manufacturer I can speak to their mask lenses is Scubapro, all of their mask lenses are optical glass.

I'm still hunting, but for anyone who is reading or watching this thread, it seems that Sea Dive seadivemasks.com has some glass they think highly of. Still welcoming input!

BTW, all the people I know with the ARC coating seem to think it makes a difference. I'm still a novice, but I respect these guy's opinions.

My father was the optics expert in the family, but I learned a lot from him. I also use best grade optics for hunting and shooting and I can tell you that there is a reason Zeiss or Leica scopes and binos are $2500-$3000 dollars or more, performance...period, end of story. I have spent way more than the average person on good glass and I pray my wife don't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it when I am gone!!!
Glass is glass, but it is not all equal. Basically, all glass is made from silica sand. The glass in a spy satellite is chemically no different from the glass in the windows of your house. But, there are very big differences otherwise. So called optical grade glass is different in that it was fluxed and stirred constantly while kept in a molten state for a long time. This removes inclusions and impurities. The flux is a chemical that helps the impurities to "leave" it while molten. Once all the impurities are out the glass block is allowed to cool very slowly and it gets cut in to sizes to make lenses or whatever. This is half the battle to great optical glass. It takes a long time and is very expensive to do. Once cut and ground, depending on the future use it receives coatings that further enhance the performance. The best optical glass is made in Germany and comes from a company called Schott.
This is the glass used in Atomic Aquatics and other high quality masks. Germany perfected the processes for purifying the glass itself and the coatings for enhancing performance before WWII and continues to make it better. Japan runs a close second because they received information during the war when they were allies with Nazi Germany. Germany didn't share quite all the secrets to making great optical glass though and to this day while Japanese glass is for sure fantastic, it does not equal or exceed that made in Germany.
Bottom line, it is not a gimmick at all, Atomic Aquatics masks use Schott glass and since the glass is clearer you can see a little better when you look thru them. Personally, I don't care for the reflective "ARC" coating. The best you can do is get something like 99.4% light transmission thru the finest optical glass. Various coatings, such as those found on rifle scopes and binoculars enhance some of the light and make it appear "better" to the human eye, such as for low light performance. But each coating has it's price and detracts from the basic light transmission. Schott glass, like used in the masks with no coatings transfer 99.4% {minus maybe a very small amount} while other glass used in other masks may only transfer less than 90% to your eye. ARC coated masks will for sure make some colors under water appear brighter, but it's a trade off in low light conditions or in less than stellar visibility.
ARC looks good in Bonaire in the middle of the day at 20 feet...not so good in the late afternoon at 80-90 feet depth at a dive site with less visibility. On a night dive I would say forget it, this is where a Schott glass mask will shine.
All this said, the finest, most expensive, perfectly clear optical glass is negated to "zero" when your mask leaks. I love and appreciate fine optical glass, but I'd take a cheesy green tinted $20.00 junk glass mask that don't leak over any other mask no matter what it's made of on a dive.

Edit: I should add, it appears that the use of optical glass and possibly various "performance" coatings are just now starting to hit the scuba mask scene....like all matters of money, I expect to see more offerings along the lines of optical glass and light performance specific coatings in regards to dive masks....if the market is there they will latch onto it....I am surprised it has taken this long!!!! Who knows what we will see glass wise in the future????

Last edited:
I have personally handled 10,000's of dive mask over the last 48 years. I agree with msinc that unless your in a light deprived environment you will not notice the difference of the Schott glass; and that coatings that reduce light entering the eye reduce visibility.

I can tell you that a good amount of single plate dive mask with a large nasal cut will have a slight to moderate warp at the upper nasal cut. Not that I haven't had to deal with some warped single plates either; but they are much rarer. Most people would never notice this; but I do.

Taking that into account unless your going into some light deprived environment; or doing some very specialized visually demanding work, comfort and fit are paramount for you to enjoy the experience.

I do not have any favorites; I just know what to do.

Since Schott has a plant not far from my hometown in Pennsylvania that employs about 200 people, I'm all for buying the "good stuff."

I have personally handled 10,000's of dive mask over the last 48 years. I agree with msinc that unless your in a light deprived environment you will not notice the difference of the Schott glass; and that coatings that reduce light entering the eye reduce visibility.

I can tell you that a good amount of single plate dive mask with a large nasal cut will have a slight to moderate warp at the upper nasal cut. Not that I haven't had to deal with some warped single plates either; but they are much rarer. Most people would never notice this; but I do.

Taking that into account unless your going into some light deprived environment; or doing some very specialized visually demanding work, comfort and fit are paramount for you to enjoy the experience.

I do not have any favorites; I just know what to do.

Gregory,

I owned a dive center in NY and we dealt with you/your father exclusively for prescription masks for our clients, you are the BEST!!! (I closed the store and went to live full time in Libya in 2004 :) )

Remind me please, where was your store up to 2004 and when did you move to KS?

Back
Top Bottom