HMS Rhone - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
Is the Rhone a good dive? I'll be in the USVI and have found a couple operators that do a one-day trip to the Rhone. Price is almost twice what a two-tank dive costs in the USVI and takes most of the day. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Hal

its a very nice wreck, very big, i would say go do it!

Great day dive although it can be crowded. Even better night dive.

Everything in the BVI is expensive, except the booze.

Ralph

It's a great dive site - I was there on Saturday!
Lobsters, turtles, eagle rays and soooooo much macro stuff. I'd definitely dive it again!

It's a great wreck and will be worth the extra $. Make sure to read up on the history of the Rhone. Many lives lost. Also, visit Salt Island and say "hi" to Clementine if she's still alive.

Barracuda2

Believe it or not.....the cheapest booze on St. Thomas...is at the KMART there. Full bottle of good rum.....$3.99

Hal:
Is the Rhone a good dive? I'll be in the USVI and have found a couple operators that do a one-day trip to the Rhone. Price is almost twice what a two-tank dive costs in the USVI and takes most of the day. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Hal

I dove it while staying in Tortola.

I enjoyed the dive..but it's not worth almost twice any other dive would be.

I guess it would depend on St. Thomas diving which I havent done, but havent heard much good about. That is a long trip through possibly rough seas though.
By the way its the RMS, royal mail steamship.

I dove the Rhone about 15 years ago. I was unimpressed. As a wreak she is scattered all over the place, and at 100+ years not much is left except boilers and prop shaft. But on the other hand if you are in the BVI's and don't dive it you'll never know. As the above posters have shown, they liked it, and you might too! Dives do cost more on any island! :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom