HMS Rhone - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if it is worth the extra cost, but it's probably the best dive site in the BVI's by far. Not much of the wreck left, but what is there has attracted much animal life.

Hal:
Is the Rhone a good dive? I'll be in the USVI and have found a couple operators that do a one-day trip to the Rhone. Price is almost twice what a two-tank dive costs in the USVI and takes most of the day. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Hal
i dove the Rhone a few years ago. it's scattered around. i think the dive shops all do it on the same day. crowded. you do get to swim through the hull that's laying upside down.not one of my favorite dives. over priced,to say the least.

Appreciate all the views. Think I might move it to the as-time-permits category.

Hal

clockradio:
i dove the Rhone a few years ago. it's scattered around. i think the dive shops all do it on the same day. crowded. you do get to swim through the hull that's laying upside down.not one of my favorite dives. over priced,to say the least.
I did it on the Cuan Law and they had a very good system. Sleep overnight off of Salt Island. Get up early ~6 am and dive the bow just after 7 am before the shops and bare boaters show up, we were the first ones on the wreck. Back to the Cuan Law for the rest of the morning and dive the stern at 12 pm when most of the other divers are having lunch. Fairly quiet. Finally back a 7:30 pm for a night dive where we had the the wreck to ourselves. Notes from my log on the night dive: Turtles, one huge sleeping under the wreck, sting ray, speckled moray hunting under wreck saw it try for fish under hull plates and miss, basket star open, orange cup coral, usual fish.

By the way I wasn't suggesting that the dive is worth twice the price, just that everthing in the BVI was very high priced. It is the second area (after Bermuda) where we were unhappy with the high cost of meals. If I'm choosing to travel to the BVI, I'm forced to pay the local fees or be stuck sitting on the beach.

Ralph

I dove it a few weeks ago and it's a great dive. Chris Sawyer does it from St Thomas on Fridays. It more than a standard 2-tank dive but far from twice the price. Interesting story behind the wreck that the crew does a great job of telling on the way. If you don't make the Rhone there is plenty of great diving around St Thomas. Tunnels and Arches and Carval Rock are a couple of my favorites. I'll second the opinion on the $4 Cruzan Rum... although it was only $3 not too many years ago - damn inflation!

Steve

.... and it can get crowded unfortunately.

DiverDunk:
I dove it a few weeks ago and it's a great dive. Chris Sawyer does it from St Thomas on Fridays. It more than a standard 2-tank dive but far from twice the price. Interesting story behind the wreck that the crew does a great job of telling on the way. If you don't make the Rhone there is plenty of great diving around St Thomas. Tunnels and Arches and Carval Rock are a couple of my favorites. I'll second the opinion on the $4 Cruzan Rum... although it was only $3 not too many years ago - damn inflation!

Steve

DiverDunk:

Steve

The cost for the Rhone really is about twice the price of a regular dive. Most dive shops offer two-tank dives for $75-$85. The Rhone costs $160-$175, which includes the $20 for customs. (Chris Sawyer is $85 regular two-tank and $160 for Rhone, including the customs fee).

IMHO it certainly is worth doing, several times. Do it as a night dive as well.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Hal:
The cost for the Rhone really is about twice the price of a regular dive. Most dive shops offer two-tank dives for $75-$85. The Rhone costs $160-$175, which includes the $20 for customs. (Chris Sawyer is $85 regular two-tank and $160 for Rhone, including the customs fee).

I forgot about the customs fee and thought the Rhone was $130 or so (without customs). I could be off a bit since my wife and I paid for several dives at once when we scheduled the beginning of the week. Regardless, it was an enjoyable dive.

yes, do the dive if you are down there. Chris Sawyer has a great day trip there on Friday's. You'll get a great history and story about the wreck as well as some nice Johnny cakes from the customs stop in Tortola's west end.

Bring either your passport or a Govt. issued photo ID and Birth certificate, passport is really the easiest.

For the time the Rhone has been down it is actually i amazing shape. The bow section has a swim through and the main mast with Crows nest is there. The second dive is over the midsection and the stern. There's a brass porthole still in place and the rudder/propeller is incredibly big.

enjoy the dive, be sure to book ahead with Chris Sawyer as they do fill up. It's a day trip with lunch, snacks and pleny of fun.

Back
Top Bottom