HOG Heaven Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
What it will not be the correct place for is flaming someone because they don't do things "your" way. If that happens, I'll consider this forum a failed attempt ... so let's all see that we approach our discussions constructively.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
The danger might be that some users who believe that their configuration is an adaptation of the Hogarthian idea, but an 'improvement' on it, try to be too insistent as to the merits of the 'improvement'. There is a difference between:
- "I do it like this............... because...................and that works for me."
and:
- "I do it like this............ because that's the right way to do it."

Although I agree that ALL divers should be able to use the new forum and explain what they do, and why - it might be a good idea to ban references to specific agencies/groups (and I mean ALL agencies - not particular ones) within the forum. This might keep down any 'partisan politics' that could develop.

KimLeece:
it might be a good idea to ban references to specific agencies/groups (and I mean ALL agencies - not particular ones) within the forum
Uh, no. Just create it and let it run. Simple.

Do you see people trying to ban Canon references in the Olympus forum?

Scubaroo:
Uh, no. Just create it and let it run. Simple.

Do you see people trying to ban Canon references in the Olympus forum?
No - but I also don't see people getting into arguments about which is better - Canon or Olympus! In any event it was just a suggestion to try to stay ahead of potential trouble. (much like the ban on non-DIR answers in the DIR forum)

Thanks a lot NetDoc. How goes the kite flying? :D

NetDoc:
A forum is born! :D Enjoy!

Personally I see two things that will sink this forum. 1. Flaming an individual and 2. Flaming an agency. If we start doing that, we wasted our time in getting this forum created.

The whole idea of the forum is to exchange ideas and information. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong.

Just my .02 worth

Scubaroo:
The DIR gear configuration has its roots in the Hogarthian configuration. Hogarthian and DIR forums shouldn't be an "us and them" type thing - start knocking DIR in there and the flamewars will begin. Do you honestly think that divers who consider themselves DIR either a) won't stay out of the Hogarthian forum, b) won't be interested in participating, and c) won't have valid contributions to make? The focus will simply be on the gear configuration, and discussions won't be bound by the confines of what is and isn't considered "DIR".
Bingo. It's a big tent, there's room inside for everyone so long as they accept the basic tenets: less is more and the sum should be greater than the parts. I'd love to see the DIR guys here, they have a lot to contribute.

Thanks! Sorry if you misunderstood what I meant by 'replace the Anti-Dir' forum. I mean to do away with the Anti-DIR forum in favor of the Hog forum. Which seems to be what happened.

Just wanted to clear that up...

I'm just happy that what I've been doing since the mid 80's finally has a name! :monkeydan

I've always obsessed on being streamlined and anti-danglies, (<-new term for the scuba dictionary) Don't take anything I won't absolutely need and if I'll need one, I take 3, (Thats my redundancy obsession). Its all gotta be compact and industrial strength. :dazzler1: And, I get funny looks everywhere (esp the LDS's) because I don't fall for the newest and brightest colored fads... My gears got a very important job to do, so I'll leave the neon plumage to the tropical birds...

So... How do you pronounce Hogarthian anyway? (Would Hog diving be an acceptable term although probably dual meaning in some areas?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom