HOG piston 1st stage (BP1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Has anyone seen these yet. I'm buying a couple of new regulators in the next month and have been considering some Hog regulators. I currently have a couple of Scubapro Mk25/S600 regs and really like them, but I'd like to move into something that I can learn to service myself. I'm friends with a regulator service tech. who can teach me how to do it, but I'd like to be able to have easy access to parts kits. I know I can ebay the Scubapro kits, so I may just stick with them so I can keep my regs the same brand. But I do like the HOG approach of allowing customers to have parts kits.
While browsing around for regulators I noticed this 1st stage:

HOG Gear BP1 First Stage - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I was considering another Scubapro (either a Mk17 or another Mk25) along with a G250v 2nd.

The HOG regs. seem promising. I'd like to have my new regulator set up for single tank diving (long hose), another plus for the HOG regs is that they allow you to order whatever hose lengths you want.

Thanks for any opinions.

**Yes I have searched and read the threads that pertain to HOG regulators.:wink:
I was just curious about the new stuff they're coming out with.

Thank you,
Mitch

It looks a lot like a MK20 clone, most certainly made by ODS of Taiwan and sold under different brands in the US. The service manual is here.

If I were shopping for a new reg, I'd be tempted to give these guys a try.

Those regs (Hogs) interest me too, since I live a short drive from Dive Right In Scuba I'm going to go take a look at them. They even have a class you can take to teach you how to service them. Good training.

It looks a lot like a MK20 clone, most certainly made by ODS of Taiwan and sold under different brands in the US. The service manual is here.

Nice work, Zung. Thanks!

I would opt for a used SP balanced piston reg instead, even though it's refreshing to see a company with a somewhat reasonable parts policy. I guess you have to take their course before they sell you parts, is that correct?

I guess you have to take their course before they sell you parts, is that correct?
Nope. AFAIK, anyone can buy a HOG overhaul parts kit -- even people who haven't taken the reg repair course.

That's good to hear, maybe SP will smarten up and change their U.S. policy. I won't be holding my breath.

Holding breath not likely to work. Just ask your Freunde .

That's good to hear, maybe SP will smarten up and change their U.S. policy. I won't be holding my breath.

It is not recommended to hold your breath- always leave a trickle of bubbles :D

As to SP policy- I am not a big fan of it, but I think they have a lifetime warranty if one services it regularly. When I got problems with my MK20ul (corrosion), it was replaced by a brand new MK25, which is something I can appreciate.

I am not sure if other manufacturers have something similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom