Hog Regs for O2 bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100% Oxygen to 2400psi, 80% Oxygen to 3400 psi out of box when new.

The prevailing opinion seems to recomend utilizing piston style regulators for deco and stage usage due to the flooding issue...

many folks charge (turn on) and then turn off the tank valves on their stage and deco regs. Then often during the dive those regs will for whatever reasons (current, stuck between diver and something, other stages) will purge and the regs are underwater not pressurized. As such it is easy to flood the first stage.

Piston regs when flooded and then used are less likely to cause issues than diaphragms some feel.

The prevailing opinion seems to recomend utilizing piston style regulators for deco and stage usage due to the flooding issue...

Perhaps in Florida but when the water is sub-50F the problem with pistons freezing outweighs any other performance advantage they have over diaphragms, or so the prevailing wisdom seems to be up here. You can adapt a piston for cold water (rubber bands and lube - sounds more like a night at the Manhole than a dive and nearly as expensive) or you can adapt your protocols (leave the valve feathered) and risk burping a little gas from time to time.

Lots of solutions aren't universally appropriate. I've got a potful of dives on a D1 using 100% (and 50%, etc), so far I haven't had any problems. Can't say the same thing about my otherwise trusty piston SP MK25's - even with the cold water upgrades.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom