Hollis regulator 1st & 2nd interchangeability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACSimages

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience mixing Hollis first and second stages? I’m looking to use the 500se 2nd with the DCX 1st (it comes standard with the DC7). Someone has suggested to me this should be no issue but after looking at the Hollis regulator manual I’m not so sure (attached below). I see no reason the two should not be compatible but I’m also no expert. Any advice would be much appreciated!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/mdgbqzgn5mroszv/Hollis_Reg_Owners_Manual_2018

Attachments

• A498D91D-BD54-477C-B03F-89507115BF17.jpeg
    A498D91D-BD54-477C-B03F-89507115BF17.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 97
i would skip the ho2, the servo won't like it when the IP drops. otherwise, all the other ones should be fine with the 500se, just make sure to retune before use. the hollis are downstream servo iirc, not upstream like the jetstream, so no need for an opv.

I believe that chart is just pairings where they're sold vs an actual compatibility chart.
I really would just skip the 500se really, lots of issues with that regulator, but to each his own. It will work just fine with the DCX though

I believe that chart is just pairings where they're sold vs an actual compatibility chart.
I really would just skip the 500se really, lots of issues with that regulator, but to each his own. It will work just fine with the DCX though
What type of issues have you experienced? I’m still making a decision on regulators and notice through out the SB forum your not a huge fan of Hollis it seems haha. What’s your experience with them vs Poseidon which it sounds like you are quite fond of. Also worth pointing out I don’t plan to service these myself or aquire the kits. I just want a good reg set up with the primary being a side breather that will work well in both warm and Cold water (ideally ice diving aswell). I’m also moving to se Asia for a year or more (in March) so i want to make sure I can get it serviced out there or find parts if need be. Not sure how accessible the xstream parts are? While I understand many people think the Poseidon’s are a better regulator, I just want to make sure I get something right for my situation.

Cheers

@ACSimages I own about 2 dozen Poseidon regulators and I do truly believe, that they are the best engineered regulators on the market. My engineer hat gets very excited looking at them.
The 500se is not an inherently bad regulator, it's just not a high quality one. Leaks, breaks, etc etc. Durability wise it just can't compete.
The Xstream is one of two regulators that Norsok has passed for high intensity, deep, freezing cold use, and it is one of two or three than the US Navy has approved for their deep and cold activities.
Poseidon had a bad run with US distribution in the 90's and 00's that made getting parts near impossible and that distributor tried to spam the market with them which gave a bad reputation for servicing them.

The Poseidon's are 100%, without a doubt, a better regulator. They are t100% the right choice for going under the ice, and are the only mainstream brand where you can not only purchase parts kits, but actually take a course to service them yourself. Some special tools you need, but they are relatively inexpensive from Scuba Clinic Tools and small enough to travel with you.

Compound all of that with historic terrible customer service from Hollis *who up until last year was still owned by the Hollis family so it was a culture issue*, and now with Huish having taken over, it's somehow gotten worse and is all well documented on here.

Back
Top Bottom