Holy heavy doubles batman part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW, 12lbs with double HP100s ? You must be using very buoyant undergarment...

12lb is what I use on the AL80s...

I use 4 lbs for trimming the 100s but can do perfectly fine without it weight wise... that's with 200g on the legs/arms and 400 g on the torso

:idk: I use a SS plate, 8 lbs lead, and a can light. I use a white's MK 3 which is a very buoyant undergarment. That's in line with other divers in this area. 12lbs doesn't seem so out of line?

:idk: I use a SS plate, 8 lbs lead, and a can light. I use a white's MK 3 which is a very buoyant undergarment. That's in line with other divers in this area. 12lbs doesn't seem so out of line?

Got you, looks like the MK3 you guys use over there is quite lofty, people mostly use compressed thinsulate undies here so if those are worthingtons HP100s that would be quite some extra weight for me:)

Even a 400g thinsulate undergarment takes substantial weight to sink. I don't see anything unusual about the amount of weight he listed.

Got you, looks like the MK3 you guys use over there is quite lofty, people mostly use compressed thinsulate undies here so if those are worthingtons HP100s that would be quite some extra weight for me:)

Even a 400g thinsulate undergarment takes substantial weight to sink. I don't see anything unusual about the amount of weight he listed.

I think a factor that I missed is I guess you guys are diving salt water

I understand now why you can trim your 100s well in many cases and I cannot

... and you learned an unbelievably important lesson that many take far too lightly. Line kills.
Congrats, keep up the training.

Can make a big difference. Remember, salt water requires one pound more weight for every 40 pounds of diver and gear.

Year I did the calc using 1.03 density factor for me and that gave me extra 10lb - in line with your numbers...

If you think it's heavy now, wait'll you start adding the other stuff ...

CIMG7438-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diving a twinset of 100's is sweet - underwater. It's a pain everywhere else. Like Rainer, a single HP100 is my tank of choice these days.

Rainer, I totally agree with you about lugging the things around. I hate them on land. But I love doubles in the water. Yes, there is a bit more drag, but I don't tend to dive very fast so I don't notice it much. But the side to side and vertical stability with doubles is something I love. I think the absolute most comfortable open water diving I have ever done was the week in Red Sea on the MV Tala, where I dove a light undergarment and double Al80s. All the advantages of doubles, and none of the disadvantages, from my viewpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom