Holy heavy doubles batman part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are definitely some doubles that work, and some that don't! We have two sets of LP72s, and I absolutely LOATHE them. I cannot trim them out at all. The 85s and 100s are easy.

I don't know about the Conception, but the dive platform on the Peace wouldn't be bad in doubles. The ladder would be another story, but if somebody reaches down and gives a tug on the manifold, it's almost always manageable.

what do you have them for then? :p

I bought them when I first started using doubles, because they were relatively light.

Peter dives them. He doesn't mind them.

What is it about the twin LP72's that you don't like? When you say you can't trim them out, what exactly does that mean, head up, head down?

I notice very little difference between singles and doubles with stability or roll. It's all in the distributuion of weights I suppose. I like the simplicty of singles and the minimized inertia during turns and direction changes.

When I first started diving doubles, I added a tail weight to AL 80s as I was very top heavy and they balanced out great. When I switched to my 72s I can't get a tail weight on them. So at this point I am still fairly top heavy. I need to figure out how to adjust them and get them further down on my back for bouyancy purposes.

I don't like the 72s because they put me hopelessly head heavy. And it isn't from lack of trying -- I even spent an hour and a half with Bob Sherwood, who has the reputation of being the king of gear tweaking for trim, and he concluded that those tanks just don't work for me. No matter what we did, I was head-heavy. The 85s I normally dive are completely different -- those trimmed out for me almost instantly, and it took only a little futzing to have them perfect.

For some weird reason, all the long, skinny tanks I've tried to dive have been problematic. Short, squat tanks work for me, so I like my 85s and HP100s. In MX, I use Al80s with about 8 lbs on the bottom bolt, and they work fine.

When I switched to my 72s I can't get a tail weight on them. So at this point I am still fairly top heavy. I need to figure out how to adjust them and get them further down on my back for bouyancy purposes.

Did you try a Deep SeaSupply tail-weight pouch :? That might work on the 72s as it has a grommet hole to attach to the lower bolt, and you dont need bolts long enough to space out the lead of a tail weight.

I don't like the 72s because they put me hopelessly head heavy. And it isn't from lack of trying -- I even spent an hour and a half with Bob Sherwood, who has the reputation of being the king of gear tweaking for trim, and he concluded that those tanks just don't work for me. No matter what we did, I was head-heavy. The 85s I normally dive are completely different -- those trimmed out for me almost instantly, and it took only a little futzing to have them perfect.

For some weird reason, all the long, skinny tanks I've tried to dive have been problematic. Short, squat tanks work for me, so I like my 85s and HP100s. In MX, I use Al80s with about 8 lbs on the bottom bolt, and they work fine.

OK,
I could see how putting a manifold on smaller lighter tanks could have a top heavy effect. I used to ride them super low to spread out some of the weight but then to do valve drills was a pain because it took some rather uncouth methods to reach the valves.
I would think that longer skinnier tanks would trim out better being that there is more weight down further to balance out the weight of manifold and regs, but if shorter fatter tanks work better more power to it. Whatever works the best is the best thing to use.

Well, my double steel 72s seem to work just fine for me. But, then, I've been using 72s for 45 years.

Back
Top Bottom