Holy heavy doubles batman part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer, I totally agree with you about lugging the things around. I hate them on land. But I love doubles in the water. Yes, there is a bit more drag, but I don't tend to dive very fast so I don't notice it much. But the side to side and vertical stability with doubles is something I love. I think the absolute most comfortable open water diving I have ever done was the week in Red Sea on the MV Tala, where I dove a light undergarment and double Al80s. All the advantages of doubles, and none of the disadvantages, from my viewpoint.

... that's cuz you don't take pictures. When doing photography, all that stability you get with doubles makes it more difficult to get into position for some types of shot you might want to take. I much prefer diving a single rig when taking pictures. The only time I will prefer doubles in that situation is when I'm diving solo and anticipate wanting angles very close to the bottom ... where a slung AL40 can get in the way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All right guys, quit picking on my favorite poster (TSandM) although I agree a single HP100 is the bee's knee's of rigs...

All right guys, quit picking on my favorite poster (TSandM) although I agree a single HP100 is the bee's knee's of rigs...

I too, feel pretty stable with a single. I think it might be possible, that maybe I feel, a little more agile with a single too. Not that I'm so agile anywhere anymore.

I'd never pick on Lynne ... she's not just my favorite SB poster, she's also one of my favorite dive buddies ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess I just don't find a single unstable.

I don't think Lynne was stating that she felt unstable in singles, just that she felt MORE stable in doubles, which is completely understandable.

Personally I try to dive both doubles and singles about evenly, too much doubles shore diving takes it's toll on the back and knees. But I try to appreciate each configuration's advantages and disadvantages, and dive them accordingly.

Peace,
Greg

I'm right there with you. I keep waiting for the doubles to be as much fun as my single HP100s (which I adore) and asking myself, "Do I really want to do this?" And mine are only neutral AL80s! I'm hoping after I take Bob Sherwood's Primer in a couple weeks, things will change.

I'm getting geared up for my Apprentice cave. I dove twin 100's and loved them. Yes Lynn, I strapped them on tight. Just like a fish in water. Then I tried the 130's. Never want to dive them again. I couldn't keep my head up. I'm trying to keep my hands to not move. I was doing dog paddling underwater to keep my head up out of the mud.

So I'm taking the twin steel 100's with me to Santa Barbara to go out on the Conception over the 4th. I sure hope getting back on the boat doesn't spoil my 4 dives a day system. I think I may be getting a hand from the crew while I'm there. I can climb the ladders OK and walk just fine with them. It's that crawl onto the platform at the back of the boat that is intimidating me.

There are definitely some doubles that work, and some that don't! We have two sets of LP72s, and I absolutely LOATHE them. I cannot trim them out at all. The 85s and 100s are easy.

I don't know about the Conception, but the dive platform on the Peace wouldn't be bad in doubles. The ladder would be another story, but if somebody reaches down and gives a tug on the manifold, it's almost always manageable.

There are definitely some doubles that work, and some that don't! We have two sets of LP72s, and I absolutely LOATHE them. I cannot trim them out at all. The 85s and 100s are easy.

I don't know about the Conception, but the dive platform on the Peace wouldn't be bad in doubles. The ladder would be another story, but if somebody reaches down and gives a tug on the manifold, it's almost always manageable.

What is it about the twin LP72's that you don't like? When you say you can't trim them out, what exactly does that mean, head up, head down?

I had a pair that I used all the time a few years back and I thought they were a great little set, light, nimble, easy to manuever, easy on the surface, just a wonderful configuration for intermediate recreational dives. With a 10% overfill I had 140 CF of gas. Perfect for sport limits. So easy to use - like magic.
Now the biggest tank I use is my 7.25" diameter 120. The loooong tank, I love it.
I also have enough body height that I can lay the thing down my back without it hitting the back of my knees.
That's all I take on Socal boat trips now.

I notice very little difference between singles and doubles with stability or roll. It's all in the distributuion of weights I suppose. I like the simplicty of singles and the minimized inertia during turns and direction changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom