Homemade Defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious which "recipe" works best for repeat treatments when the lens is already wet? I thought I saw a commercial product that was suppossed to last 1 week, but now I can't seem to find it. Spit or baby shampoo work fine for me when the lens is dry (rinse once, put on face and DON'T take it off) but once I clear my mask - it's bye bye clear eyes and hello foggy. ideas?

I have a product called zooke that I picked up at a ski show for Ski goggles. This stuff works great and last a few dives no problem. If you have to hang up your reg at Thanksgiving like I do you can switch it over to your ski bag. I just checked and they have website.

I just use good old spit, always have it with me, never worry about leaving it at home. :eyebrow:

"good ole spit" works fine for me too . . . the first time, but doesn't seem to do any good once I have to clear my mask or rinse it out for some reason. . . 500psi says it will work for 3 dives - does it?

I'm in pretty warm water also - been about 81-84 lately - maybe I'll just have to try some and see how it does. Thanks for the thoughts though.

....late to the party, apologies.

The subject of defoggers is close to our hearts since my company make them for a living. 2 years in research and development before our first launch earlier this year. The subject is not that simple, and I've got a PhD in chemistry too.

The solutions provided by everyone here are quick, easy and cheap, but all dont really address the major challenges of a good quality defog which are mainly humidity resistance, wash off resistance (the so called 'all day' antifogs that we hear about), smear characteristics on glass, hazards to eyes and skin, ease of use etc etc

Shower gels or dishwashing detergents dont give these characteristcs. We've tested a lot of combinations in our lab and the real world. We suggest using them by all means, but not as a permanent replacement for a good quality defog.

In the past commercial defoggers have gained a bad reputation because apparently in use there was no difference between them and your standard household detergent. We found that too. Probably 90% of commercial defoggers are no better than shower gel.

Visit our website at www.salclear.com, look at Salclear AquaSport, and see what we've got to offer. Hopefully we can demonstrate that we know what we are talking about, and that perhaps we can make something which can't be substituted by something in your bathroom or kitchen.

ChrisM:
Speaking of natural remedies, I have also heard that kelp is a good defog - serious..... never tried it

Kelp works great, and lasts quite a while. Especially if you chew it first and then spit it into lens. I've tried Oreos, but I kept seeing spots.

I dive in 55-65 F water most of the time in San Diego. I've had lots of fog issues. I was using commercial stuff and spit. I used to dribble some water into the mask to clear the fog but I got tired of this because it was only temporary. Finally I decided to try the stuff on the boat. Voila. It was baby shampoo and it worked - no fogging at any depth and temp. And it's free, just like spit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom